5.0 out of 5 stars Very stylish, but you pay for that, February 14, 2012
This review is from: LG E2290V-SN 21.5-Inch Premium Super Slim Widescreen LED LCD Monitor - Metal (Personal Computers)
If you're the kind of person who doesn't want to pay a premium for style, then you might find this monitor a tad expensive. There are many others with the same features, resolution, and image quality for $100 less than what I paid ($269.99). That said, it truly is beautiful, powered on or off. Personally, I like style a lot, but even so, I find it a little expensive. But I got it and don't regret it. This thing is right out of a design school (and in fact it probably is).

I would like one feature that it doesn't have: the ability to raise/lower the screen in addition to tilt forward/back. But as it's at a fairly comfortable height on my desk, this fortunately isn't a problem.

One other very minor nit: the touch-sensitive on/off switch, located on the top right corner of the base, is a bit too easy to touch accidentally. I'll have to get in the habit of keeping my paws (and those of my cats - no kidding!) away from that spot.

Otherwise, this is a very nice monitor and a thing of beauty. It would be right at home in the most luxurious office.

Nice job, LG.

I would ordinarily take away a star for the high price and the minor complaints. But the price could change for another buyer, so I figure my review will just cover the product without regard to the price. If I run into any technical problems, I might come back and lower my rating. I do plan to calibrate it with a colorimeter for graphics work, and if that presents any problems, I'll come back and report on that.
-------------
Update:

I calibrated the display with a Spyder 3 Pro colorimeter, and it calibrated perfectly and really looks great. But this surfaced another minor nit: the out-of-the-box settings are quite far from accurate color (as are many displays, though not all - this is so that they make your eyes pop in a showroom environment). I could tell that was the case when I turned it on for the first time, and fooled around with the settings to get it closer to what I wanted, but you unfortunately still need an actual calibration to get correct color. The expert-mode calibration sequence on a Mac will get you to usable settings, though, without spending the money on a colorimeter.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 27, 2012 4:54:50 AM PST
Anand says:
What about heat? Does it heat too much especially on the bottom and top panels?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 27, 2012 8:40:33 AM PST
xgrep says:
Compared to an older display made by AOC, it generates quite a bit less heat. You can bearely feel it. And there are no air vents in the back, which suggests it's not producing enough heat to need them.

I don't have it handy to look at the rating, but it's surely in the published specs on the LG website. In general, LED LCD panels generate less heat than anything except OLED (and there aren't many OLED displays available, yet).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (16 customer reviews)

Out of stock