386 of 410 people found the following review helpful
DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE UNRATED CUT AND THE THEATRICAL CUT,
This review is from: The Wolverine (Unleashed Extended Edition) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
The Unrated Cut runs about 12 minutes longer than the Theatrical Cut, and contains several new scenes including a much expanded ninja action scene. Wolverine drops a few more choice curse words and there is now CG-gore. I'd say it's more like a hard PG-13 rather than an R-rated cut.
The UNRATED Cut is much better than the theatrical cut.
**Note, SPOILERS follow, so read at your own risk**.
1) There is more gore, but primarily CGI blood sprays. Some shots of Wolverine's claws going through people's limbs, but nothing explicit. No graphic dismemberments.
2) Wolverine drops a few more f-bombs.
3) Some of the opening scenes depicting Wolverine at the POW camp are a little longer.
4) The scene involving Wolverine, an arrow, and the hunter is slightly longer and more brutal.
5) Slightly longer dialogue with Yukio on the way to the plane.
6) Relationship between Mariko and Yashida and Shingen and Yashida is better fleshed out in the unrated cut.
7) A new scene where Yashida asks Logan his age.
8) A new scene with Yashida talking to Shingen on his deathbed, telling him, "You are not the man to lead Yashida".
9) A new scene at the love hotel where the Yakuza show up and get into a fight with Wolverine. Mariko intervenes and demonstrates some fighting skill as well.
10) Wolverine's operation on himself is bloodier.
11) The fight scene between Shingen and Wolverine is slightly longer and now depicts Shingen rather graphically cutting into Wolverine's shoulder blade (no blood though).
12) A new scene where Viper gives Hadana poison for his arrows, which he later uses to bring down Wolverine at the ninja fight.
13) The ninja fight scene is now much longer. Wolverine gets dragged away in nets and hit by ninjas on bikes. Yukio shows up to assist Wolverine and drives around in a snow plow chopping up hapless ninjas (some hearty blood spraying). Wolverine lights his familiar cigar midway through the battle.
I'm actually glad the extra action scenes were removed from the theatrical cut. Some of the action seemed a bit silly (e.g. ninjas hitting Wolverine with their motorbikes, although Wolverine lighting his trademark cigar was nifty). Furthermore, Yukio's appearance detracted from Wolverine's thematic solo search for Mariko. Didn't think Yukio added much to the scene.
14) The Silver Samurai battle is the same length as previously.
Overall, the unrated cut is much better dimensioned than the theatrical cut. This is the one to get!!
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2013 1:34:30 PM PST
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2013 7:17:42 PM PST
I'm pretty sure that was the same in both cuts. :P
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2013 9:39:27 AM PST
Jared M. Kuntz says:
16) Dani is a foolish idiot. BTW, good review! I think those extra action scenes were freaking amazing and should have been kept in the movie because, for one, The Wolverine is supposed to be violent, and in those scenes it did get violent. While in the PG-13 cut, it wasn't nearly as violent as it should have been. Wolverine isn't a family-friendly superhero, just gonna say that
Posted on Dec 1, 2013 2:55:00 PM PST
Snake Pisken says:
I also take it , Regrenerates and gets back his steel claws rather than bones . ( yeah I know they aren't steel but cant spell the other word)lol
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2013 4:26:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2013 4:27:07 PM PST
Well, since he had his adamantium sucked out, he only had bone claws underneath. Why Mariko didn't use her grandfather's company's technology to restore his adamantium I don't know...Surely they could've melted part of the Silver Samurai to restore Wolverine.
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2013 6:33:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2013 6:34:23 PM PST
He didn't lose the adamantium skeleton...just the claws, which is why Mags and the metal detector bit occurs at the end. His healing gene was what was wanted, remember after his claws were removed nobody bothered getting the blades?
He reviews his bone claws after his old claws are cut offm
Posted on Dec 3, 2013 7:42:57 PM PST
thanks a lot brother, you answered each and every question I had in mind about the extended version. but one remains, does wolverine's comic book costume is shown in the extended/unleashed version?
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2013 8:15:17 PM PST
@Ryan, yes that's correct, thanks. Intended to write "sucked out of his hand". However, Mariko could have very easily restored the adamantium in his claws, since te Silver Samurai's sword was constructed from adamantium.
@Kan, I believe the alternate ending is available as a deleted scene.
Posted on Dec 5, 2013 6:41:07 PM PST
Do you know if the 3d version is extended? From what it looked like, Disk 3 was the only one labeled extended, which is a 2d disk.
Posted on Dec 9, 2013 3:47:16 PM PST
Chris D says:
So is the dvd you get with it the extended version or the theatrical version? I know this sounds like a stupid question but I'd like to know that I'm getting Unleashed with the blu-ray and dvd.