1.0 out of 5 stars Customers Should Know What They Are Getting, September 21, 2012
This review is from: ASUS Zenbook UX31 13-Inch Laptop [OLD VERSION] (Personal Computers)
So this laptop can apparently come with two different types of hard drives (both 256 gig ssds). If you buy this laptop, you will either get the Sandisk U100 or the ADATA MX11. An uninformed consumer probably wouldn't know or care what the difference between these two drives are, but they should!

The Sandisk U100 has the worst write speeds of current SSDs. The Zenbook prime I ordered was horribly slow at transferring files because of this. When I took the laptop back to the retailer, I requested an exchange for one with the ADATA MX11 hard drive. I was told by the retailer that there is no way to tell which hard drive you will get without opening the retail packaging. Note that opening the retail packaging renders the product used.

I feel Asus should put the hard drive brand on the outside of the box so that consumers can make a proper informed decision. The ADATA MX11 outperforms the Sandisk U100 in every way and this can be seen in performance tests when comparing the two.

I would not recommend anyone purchase this at this time. At least until Asus is more forthcoming about which SSD they are putting in this Zenbook.

Update.
Well I must say this has been a pretty horrible experience, and I'm never buying an Asus product again.

The screws on the laptop keep falling out. I am now missing 2 of them and the only way to get them replaced is to ship it to Asus. I any afford to do that as I need to have a computer for school and work.

The hard drive performance is painfully slow, and of course Asus won't replace the drive.

My best advice to anyone thinking of purchasing this device or any Asus product is to avoid at all costs.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 26, 2012 8:01:53 AM PDT
I have the Sandisk SSD and find it performs well?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 8:49:02 AM PDT
Kem says:
Check out this link to see what I'm saying:

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 2:20:20 PM PDT
ASUS Support says:
(MANUFACTURER)
Dear Kem,

I apologize for your dissatisfaction with the Zenbook. The notebook do, indeed, come with two different SSDs inside, but the comparison is not that far off from each other. Where one might perform a lot better in one type of test/benchmark, the other might outperform it in another. There are a lot of test out there aside from the ones you see users using online. However, I do understand that some people have a preference. There is a way to tell which SSD is in which laptop without opening it. The exterior of the box will have indications of which SSD inside. It might be hard if you are purchasing online to tell though, but there is a way to differentiate them. If you would like further assistance, or if you have any questions, please feel free to e-mail me. I can be reached at cl-tien@asus.com. I'll be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Tien
ASUS Customer Loyalty

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 8:30:00 AM PDT
Nkp says:
Tien, how about you post on this forum how to distinguish the box?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 1:42:30 PM PDT
Kem says:
There is no way to tell without opening the retail packaging.

The laptop is inside 2 boxes. The inner box is the one with the information about the hard drive on it. Unfortunately that box is within the retail box. The retail box does not have any information on the type of hard drive that comes with the laptop.

I went to the retailer I purchased from on Amazon because they happen to be in my city, and they confirmed that there is no way to distinguish the hard drives without opening the retail box. Once the retail box is opened, you can't exchange the item unless its damaged.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 4:48:17 PM PDT
B. Urban says:
I just purchased this laptop via Amazon and as Tien advised, the externally packaging surely does convey what SSD is within. Maybe other retailers have different external packaging?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 6:10:44 PM PDT
Kem says:
The external packaging is the brown box, and it most definitely does not show the type of SSD. Take a picture and post the link to prove it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 6:12:38 PM PDT
Kem says:
The external packaging is not the black one. When you go to a retailer they have the laptop packaged in 2 boxes (that's how they receive it from Asus).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 6:38:36 PM PDT
B. Urban says:
If there is a way to include a photo here, let me know, I don't see it. But none the less, the outer cardboard box that it was shipped in has on one of the narrow ends ..a white sticker headed with the model number and serial number.. if you look further down on the sticker it has the HHD: header ...with the corresponding SSD installed.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 6:56:33 PM PDT
Kem says:
Mine does not have any sticker mentioning the SSD. You can take a picture and upload it to drop box or something and paste a link to your reply. I can't play a pic of mine because I've shipped it to Asus for repairs (my control, alt, and windows keys stopped working).
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›