1.0 out of 5 stars Will Cause Ventilation Problems!!!!, September 25, 2010
This review is from: GTMax Keyboard Silicone Skin Cover (Personal Computers)
Basically I was very impressed with this keyboard protector UNTIL my macbook pro fans started to spin faster. I called up Apple and they told me ventilation uses the spaces in the keyboards to pull in air. So using this will block the intake, and cause the fans to spin harder. So you have two options stay vigilant and keep your keyboard clean or use this and maybe cause your macbook pro fans to spin harder. I choose to take the cover off, even though I tought the product was great initially.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 3, 2010 12:04:53 PM PDT
doc. says:
this is a design flaw on apples part: how are we supposed to keep it clean, prevent dust from getting inside?

Posted on Nov 3, 2010 7:24:50 PM PDT
Kevin says:
I have not noticed any heat differences using a keyboard cover on my new 13" Macbook Pro. In fact I have yet to hear any fan noise. Maybe Apple improved the design, as I have a 2010 model.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2011 6:48:17 PM PST
HD Rider says:
I agree. My checked to see if this was happening to mine. I ran it with and without the cover in place and checked the temperature (after waiting 30 minutes each time). Absolutely no temperature difference. I have an aluminum macbook pro 15" from late 2009.

In reply to an earlier post on May 17, 2011 8:10:44 PM PDT
I have a MacBook Pro 15.4" from Feb. 2011, and now im scared about this comment.... but i still need the cover, i eat a lot while using the computer so the keyboard gets really dirty.... What do you think guys? Should I or should I not?

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2011 6:47:45 PM PDT
S. Ramlochan says:
Same situation here. Let me know how it goes. I'd be interested in getting one to.

Posted on Aug 12, 2011 3:41:44 PM PDT
Tony says:
I called the apple representative about this issue. They said that the aluminum body actually helps absorb and radiate any heat generated by the computer. A case would not be sold through apple if any problems were to arise by their use.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 30, 2011 3:35:25 PM PDT
@Tony, not true. Apple sells stuff all the time that has problems.

Posted on Aug 30, 2011 5:02:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 30, 2011 5:08:08 PM PDT
Sal says:
I bought an identical keyboard cover (different brand) for my Feb 2011 MBP and have had similar overheating problems, which have disappeared since I stopped using the cover. Pretty bummed about it, since I also tend to eat and type at the same time...

*Edit: I should mention that I have a 7200rpm hard drive, which is rumored to play a part in overheating issues (none of which I have noticed without the keyboard cover). I can't comment on how a MBP with the standard 5400rpm hard drive would function with this cover, but I suspect the difference is minimal, if anything.

Posted on Aug 30, 2011 7:38:46 PM PDT
I had the same problem in my old MacBook Pro (not the unibody type) and it finally collapsed, the motherboard was melted and never worked again, so please DO NOT use it at least without checking if the computer gets too hot

Posted on Sep 7, 2011 5:49:02 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 7, 2011 5:53:04 PM PDT
viggysmalls says:
It isn't going to cause issues in normal web browsing. If you have the quad core MBP 15" or 17" and you are pushing it to the max and the ATI 6750 is engaged you are going to see issues. If you have the MBA and push it to the max you might also see issues. The MBP 13" doesn't even have a discrete card so its going to be about 20 degrees Celsius lower (internal CPU temperature) in most applications because the ATI GPU isn't activated. The MBP 13" is probably the most thermally sound of the 2011 Macbook Pros. Note: I am not saying there are issues with the 15" MBP, I've seen clock temperatures at around 70C (105C = thermal throttling) even while running Starcraft 2 on Ultra. Its just probably not a good idea to smother it while its doing that.

However all Macbook Pros use the keyboard to ventilate so anytime you are doing something with higher temperatures it probably is a good idea to take this off. I don't mean web browsing I mean pushing CPU/Graphics Card/Ram to above 70% usage at least. Which you won't see if you aren't gaming and/or running intense programs, unless you have a much older computer.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (1,449 customer reviews)

$7.99 $3.59