4.0 out of 5 stars First impression, premium tablet at premium price., November 4, 2011
This review is from: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus 16GB (Dual Core, Universal Remote, WiFi) (Personal Computers)
After reading a few theoretical reviews, I thought I would post a very early review based on one whole day of using my Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (which I've updated a couple of times). I've rated it overall 4*, which is 5* for the Tab and 3* for a premium price. There are certainly less expensive tablets, but I think this one really does have class-leading features. It's up to you whether you think the features justify the price or whether you want to wait for the next better-faster-cheaper version.

Not much to say about the design, it's a slab but the build quality is excellent and it feels very solid. I bought this specifically because it's a 7" form factor, and I wanted portable and pocketable which this delivers. I've posted a picture of what's in the box, it's just the tablet, charger and cable [see photo on the product page]. Don't plan on learning much from the "manual", which is a tiny little booklet. One thing I can't say is whether it has Gorilla Glass like the original Tab. I hope so, but Samsung doesn't say much as Amazon shipped before the release date -- heck, Samsung won't even let me register it yet. The screen quality, brightness and resolution is excellent although I did wind up disabling auto brightness as I thought it kept things a little dark. Easily fixed by manually setting the brightness to about 60%. The auto setting was probably to save battery life, which seems excellent. Charged to 100% this morning, and after a day of light usage (web browsing, wifi on all day, an hour of music listening, dozen or so apps loaded, 15 minutes of navigation) I still have 51% remaining after a day of usage. [11/6] I'm still happy with battery life, but I will say watching Netflix looks like it would only last about 4-5 hours.

Honeycomb with this tablet is extremely responsive, and I didn't find Touch Wiz intrusive. Actually everything pretty much just works the way you'd hope. GPS and Google Maps worked great, got sat lock in only a few minutes sitting on the passenger seat of the car. Local driving, but Google Maps cached enough that nav worked great. [11/6] In answer to several comments, the GPS works without wifi. Google Maps caches some local coverage, and there are standalone nav apps that have broader coverage. If traffic updates are important, you won't get them with no wifi.

Tried the camera, it's point-and-shoot cellphone quality but nothing approaching even my Lumix camera let alone a DSLR. [11/12] But apps like Barcode Scanner and Skype make good use of the cameras. The touchscreen is very responsive, and Netflix and Youtube looked great on my home wifi. No problems at all with any of the apps I downloaded, they all ran and looked great. [11/12] The 1.5.14 Pandora update fixes my previous UI complaint, so Pandora now looks as good as it sounds. If you want to pretend to buy this for work with a clear conscience, I also setup the built-in VPN client and was able to load a free RDP application (Pocketcloud) from the Android market to access our Windows servers just fine. [11/12] The Peel Smart Remote folks never answered their email support form (why bother to have it if you don't respond?), but their 1.2.6 update did deliver basic support for my Time Warner/Motorola DVR so I've now had a chance to use the built-in remote. The personalized program guide is nice and I might actually use it. But the remote functions supported are pretty basic so I'll still be using my Logitech Harmony - maybe they'll create an app!

If you're looking for a smaller tablet with all the bells and whistles, I think you'd be happy with this one.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 5, 2011 12:36:23 AM PDT
Teresa W. says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 10:21:52 AM PDT
Samsung 7.0 Plus.
It is mentioned that he was the passenger in a car and was able to lock on to GPS Satellites. Is this means that you don't need a WiFi connection to use your GPS?

Posted on Nov 5, 2011 10:24:47 AM PDT
On the new Samsung plus: You indicated that you can use the GPS in the car. Question: Can you use the GPS fully without a WiFi connection?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 9:21:18 PM PDT
I don't own the tablet, but seeing as it is a Wi-Fi only model, you would only be able to use the GPS with an "offline" navigator app such as CoPilot or Navigon. But don't count on live traffic unless you tether it to a phone or connect it with a portable MiFi unit.

Posted on Nov 7, 2011 7:25:57 AM PST
tyrepeddler says:
no one has talk about using the tab as a phone
does this not have the phone apps on the US model

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2011 3:55:16 AM PST
T-Mobile are going to release a version of this tablet with 4G that you can potentially use as a phone.

Posted on Nov 9, 2011 8:43:20 AM PST
Can anyone tell me if this device supports text messaging? I apologize if this question is a given.

Posted on Nov 10, 2011 10:57:31 PM PST
Sirocco says:
When displaying webpages, the display went dim, even when the brightness setting was for 100%. Does yours do the same thing? It seems like a flaw.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2011 12:25:18 PM PST
Traveler says:
Yes, the stock browser does seem to dim regardless of brightness which doesn't happen with Miren. Let's hope they fix it.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 10:28:27 AM PST
Tom Sellers says:
Is that an IR Remote that is built in? As I use Windows Media Player cabled to our TV via HDMI I find the Universal Remote, which is a free Android App, is better than the VLC remote, and better than our older Logitech Harmony. However this is only a good solution for controlling devices via WiFI, I would be nice to have an IR remote in the device that is trainable like a Harmony, is it possible to train these 'Peel Smart Remotes'?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (324 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $109.46