Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great, however light sensor is improperly placed, September 26, 2013
This review is from: Foscam FBM3501 Wireless Digital Video Baby Monitor - Pan/Tilt, Nightvision and Two-Way Audio with 3.5" LCD (Baby Product)
Purchased this right after release with high expectations after using a Foscam FI8910W as a baby-monitor (using smartphone/tablet to view). We are overall very happy with the purchase (particularly in comparison to the price of most other monitors). The parent unit is very easy to use, the temperature sensor works great (and the temperature alarm is a fantastic idea), and the VOX setting on turning the screen on is a very neat idea.

The biggest thing I was concerned about was interference with WiFi due to it using the same frequency - so far, I have seen no issues, where family with other monitors have major interference when using their monitors.

The one issue we have is that the ambient light sensor is one the top of the camera - meaning that it detects the light levels from somewhere other than where the camera is looking. Due to where my baby's crib is located, and where the window in his room is located, his crib will be mostly dark, while the window (blinds) appear bright due to the sun shining on them. The camera turns off the IR lights and makes it impossible to see my baby. If the sensor were placed on the the front of the camera (like most are), this would not be an issue.

I plan to play around with taping paper to the top of the camera to help prevent it from picking up the light directly from the window, but have not had time to do so yet.

EDIT: I colored over a square of paper with sharpie and taped it over the top of the camera to cover the light sensor. The IR lights stay on 24/7, but the monitor works great at all hours now. It will appear colored in day time when there is plenty of window light and black/white at night when it is just using the IR light. Still maintaining 4 stars as this should have been fixed before release, but the camera still works fantastically.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 15, 2014 4:39:59 PM PST
W. Bender says:
That's a good catch. I had noticed that with the camera pointed down in a shadowed area, that the IR was off and ironically if I tllted it up to point at the vicinity of a ceiling light, it would come on. Move it back to pointing in the dark area and the IR turned off. Seemed like it was working backwards. Realized that when the lense was pointed toward the light, the sensor was pointed 90 degrees behind to a shadow. Seems like a small "hood scoop" over the sensor with opening pointing forward might help. I may experiment with a piece of foil tape, but your always on fix does seem OK.

Other than this little quirk which may not be in issue in many situations, it is a great little camera and a very nice little monitor. Better than anything else I've looked at for twice the price.

Posted on May 6, 2014 4:13:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 6, 2014 4:14:28 AM PDT
Curious to know how your Wifi camera compares? Do you use this cam more and have the Wifi cam for fun and other conveniences. I'm so confused weather to get a Wifi baby monitor or stick to something more basic like this camera. I'm guessing this might be more reliable seeing as how Wifi can sometimes go out. (specially if you have a dlink router like me. Lol) I would love your feed back. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2014 6:48:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 6, 2014 6:50:10 AM PDT
W. Bender says:
I have a number of WiFi cameras but I see their usage as for different purposes. Things like motion detection and recording video from multiple cameras all in one place on a computer is nice for things like security and monitoring things you want to keep watch on all the time. I can monitor those cameras on my tablet too and even control them, but not really record them. They do have some nice functions like sending you an email when they pick up motion, but you still need to have a computer running to act as the server. Nice if you're away from home.

I see the baby monitor as more of an "impromptu" type device. Simple to set up, easy to move around. I'll just add, that I don't have a baby that I'm wanting to monitor, but the basic uses are similar in many ways. Just wanting to "temporarily" monitor something specific. I even rigged mine to run off batteries so I'm not tied down to an outlet. Takes just a couple minutes to set up the baby monitor. WiFi set up is a much bigger deal. WiFi will cost you more too. Foscam makes some decent WiFi cameras at reasonable prices, but you still need that WiFi infrastructure network to use them.

For the price and what you can do with their baby monitor, it's a good deal. It would be nice if you could use it stand alone or as WiFi too, but I don't think anyone is making anything like that. It would get complicated and probably cost more than a market for it would support.

So I suppose it depends on how you intend to use it. For a baby monitor, or quick temporary use, it fits the role pretty well. If you are looking at expandable home security, WiFi is the better choice, but needs more investment of both time and money.

(As for WiFi routers for my other cameras, I used to have a Linksys that worked decent, but now I'm using Engenius. Light years better. I also use a directional wireless bridge to get my network out to a remote barn. Not cheap, but beats running wire 200 yards. WiFi offers all kinds of options, but it's definitely not "plug 'n play". And it helps to be a bit geeky.)

Hope that helps.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2014 7:24:58 AM PDT
Stephen says:
Sorry for the late reply..

We don't even use the wifi camera any more for baby stuff, it was relegated to toy projects, watching the house, etc.

I absolutely recommend this camera. We still use it now (baby #1 is about 1yr, baby #2 is incoming and planning on getting another).

Posted on Dec 27, 2015 10:48:25 AM PST
JBC says:
That's a clever fix-it, thanks for the tip!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›