5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE this system!, August 9, 2011
This review is from: Sylvania SDVD8732 7-Inch Dual Screen Portable DVD Player with Built In 3.5 Hour Lithium Battery and USB/SD Card Reader (Electronics)
I bought this system for immediate heavy use. We were going on a roadtrip to Disney, then flying from Germany to the states and back, as well as a lot of driving in between. I didn't want to prematurely review this item, but I feel that the hours of use we have put it through give me a pretty good idea about its overall performance. Let's start with the drawbacks since most people look for those first when considering a new purchase.

Cons:
-Mounting straps are difficult to get on. Not impossible, but not easy. Once you have untangled them and attached them to the units themselves, they are much easier to work with. The initial set-up is a bit more difficult. They do hold the units securely to the headrest, so I can't complain, but they didn't feel as sturdy as I would have liked.
-Second unit has to be plugged in to work. This fact itself isn't a problem for me. But, the way they did it is so weird. The main unit has an internal battery that will only power the main unit. Fine. But, if you want to use both, you plug a car adapter into the main unit, then connect a power cord (and A/V cable) from the main to the second. I think it's also supplying the main unit with power so that the battery isn't drained, but it was quite a hassle figuring out which unit had to go where because of the power cord. (I should note, this was only a problem because our main car adapter port was in use by the GPS, so we needed to use one in the back)
-The cable that connects the 2 units has to be inserted completely to work. Sounds like a no brainer, but the A/V cable sometimes feels like it's all the way in, but may not be. Another reviewer complained about how their second screen would only display "AV IN" and this is why. It happened to us the first time we tried to use it and it just turned out that the cable wasn't all the way in.
-When using a USB stick, the unit takes FOREVER to recognize it. This is my single biggest complaint about the unit. We have to tell it to read the DVD even though there isn't a DVD to read. Then it usually (but not always) notices the USB and lets us select that. When it doesn't, we just repeat this until it does. If you use a SD card, it recognizes those instantly, so you shouldn't have this problem. It's almost annoying enough to fork over money just to get a large SD card that can replace our USB stick. Almost.

Pros:
-Has an internal battery so you don't have to be in the car to use it. And if you do stop for gas, or whatever, the main unit keeps playing! (Those who complain that it turns off and has to restart must not have charged their batteries first) This was a real lifesaver when our van broke down in the middle of nowhere in France! The internal battery does have to be charged by a standard adapter, not a car adapter, but for us that has never been a problem.
-Has 2 screens so kids sitting in different rows of the car can still watch the same movie. They aren't huge screens, but my kids have yet to complain about not being able to see and that's what matters.
-Each screen also has a little fold-out stand so it can stand up on a table if you are not in the car.
-Reads USB and SD cards. I'll be honest, I haven't even tried to put a DVD in it. I did open it to take out the cardboard shipper, but that's it. It's SO convenient to have a USB stick with several movies on it and just let it play without having to change DVDs mid-trip. I'm not normally one who likes to let the kids watch movie marathons, but on long car/plane trips, I can make an exception. The massive downfall to this is that it is VERY difficult to rip DVDs onto the computer! Before I get any comments from "copyright nazi's", I will say that I legally own a copy of every movie I ripped and it still took me an entire day to figure it out! The player reads several formats, but I went with MP4, mostly because it was the only one I could figure out. Oddly enough, I actually had to convert them from MP4 to MP4, so make sure they are NOT H.264 encrypted.
-Comes with a carrying case, earbuds (not what I would call "headphones"), all the cables you will need, and a remote control. We haven't used the earbuds or remote, but we have tested everything else. I really love that it came with a case! It's not fancy at all and doesn't have any padding, but it's the perfect size, has a handle for easy carrying, and it keeps everything together and out of sight of would-be robbers.

Is this unit perfect? No, but I don't believe there is such a thing. Every person expects something different out of a travel DVD player system. This one is a great value for the money and I believe it was worth every penny! Would I buy it again? Absolutely!! If you can live with the cons I mentioned, then you won't be disappointed!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]