5.0 out of 5 stars great quality and fantastic noise isolation, November 11, 2004
I've been using these for about 3 years - since I start using an IPod. I listen to huge range of music, all classical styles - from renaissance to atonal, all rock styles, jazz, funk and R&B, rap, brit pop, punk etc. I rarely walk out of the door with my fully loaded 40gig IPod, and these are what goes with them.

Sound Quality is superb, much better than Sony funtopias, and Bose noise cancelling (and don't get me started on the virtually useless Apple headphones). I haven't tried the Shures, so no comment on them. Not as good as my Sennheiser HD 600, but that's to be expected.

They are extremely clear, and revealing, and have great frequency balance across the range. Some complain that the bass is not good enough, and it could be better, but at least it's accurate, this may not matter to some, but flabby artificial bass just annoys me and just becomes fatiguing. The quality is so good its easy to get use to them, but when I temporarily started using the Sony's (having stepped on and broken the ER6s) and then came back to these I realised how good they are. No going back again for me!

Noise isolation is amazing, when I'm on the subway without them I get to (sadly) remember how noisy the subway is, I just don't notice it with these headphones on. I use them when I'm flying, and I did a back-to-back with the Bose and the ER6s blew them away, in both quality and noise isolation. I even get to sleep. Using this style of 'phones when flying or travelling on subways is a must.

Points to note: You do have to put these into the ear canal to use them effectively, and this takes some getting use to. There is some microphony from the cable which may be intrusive especially during very quiet music. Filters may need changing fairly often. I just scrap of the muck off the filter and they last much longer. I know it sound disgusting but it does work. They don't appear to be that well made, but mine (2nd pair) are still going and I don't treat them well at all (see previous)

If you want to go better, try the ER4Ps, they give even better bass and isolation (for twice the money), possibly the Shure equivalents or top end 'phones like the HD 600, but no noise isolation from these beauties!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]