Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

5.0 out of 5 stars Great film about my favorite band but I only have one problem., September 19, 2012
This review is from: The Replacements - Color Me Obsessed: A Film About The Replacements (DVD)
I will tell you the one problem I had with the film at the end of this review. I will start by saying that this has become my favorite documentary ever!! Now, unlike everyone who appeared in this film and unlike most viewers or fans, I wasn't alive when The Replacements were in their prime. I'm only in my early 20s and I discovered the band back in 2008 from a friend of mine. They have become my favorite band, to the point of obsession.

I won't go on about how there is no music or interviews from the band in the film. I will just say that this was the best way to tell the band's story. The Replacements were sort of that band that you herd about, you knew the name but you didn't know who they were completely. They seemed to be this legend that people had told. It was something that a lot of people had talked about but somewhere in the place of rock history, they were left out when The Beatles, The Velvet Underground or R.E.M. are mentioned. You just knew from what you had heard that they were an important band and you were either curious to listen to their songs or just simply not interested. But my point is, you knew or heard something about them and that is their legacy. The band that no one knows of was simply the greatest band of the 80s or the pioneers of Alternatvie rock.

Was the band that great? I am here to say that yes, they were!! Maybe the only important band to come out of the 80s underground. This film is amazing!! So much insight, humor and heart are in these interviews and it shows what it means to have passion for anything. You don't have to be a fan, even if you're not a Mats fan, you know what it means to have something touch you, make an impact and shape you into the person that you are today. That you're not alone and there is something out there for anyone. Gorman Bechard did a great job with these interviews and got the best out of these fans, fellow musicians or collaborators with The Replacements. This is storytelling and it completely covers a legend that has been told before but never at this scale. This was a little band from Minneapolis that with no record sales, no commercial success has become an important part of rock music and what it is today.

I will end this review by saying the one thing that I didn't like about this film. It's that there is very little praise for the Tim record that The Mats did. Everyone talks about how great Let It Be or Pleased To Meet Me is but hardly any love for Tim. I know it's a difference of opinion but I consider this the best record the band ever did and also, the greatest rock album in history. Still, this is a great film. One that I hope will lead others to discover these songs. Believe me, once you've herd "Left Of The Dial", you will never be the same.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 26, 2012 3:34:58 PM PDT
LSUtim says:
Nice to see someone your age finding the Mats. During their biggest years I was young, but was the only one who worshiped these guys. The 3 R's of rock n Roll are Rolling Stones, REM, and the Replacements. "Pleased to meet me" is a masterpiece.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 11:17:45 AM PDT
Michael says:
Hey! Thank you and I'm a big Mats fan. They are my favorite band. By the way, glad you liked the review and I love The Rolling Stones and R.E.M. too. Also, I agree, Pleased To Meet Me is amazing!

Posted on Oct 11, 2012 2:51:17 AM PDT
WesterMats says:
I think Tim is sometimes overlooked for it's production, later overcompensated in Don't Tell a Soul, but Tommy (Ramone) Erdelyi did the best with what he had. The songwriting is phenomenal, and Bastards of Young is arguably the best Mats song ever, along with the bittersweetness of Here Comes a Regular. The revelation in this film by Tommy Ramone that Bob came in, did one take for each song, and was gone, was revealing and insightful.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2012 8:00:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 11, 2012 8:04:37 AM PDT
Michael says:
Hey! Thank you very much for the comment. I'm glad you liked the review. I think that an album like Pleased To Meet Me has the more professional production work on it but in my opinion, Tim has the best songs. "Left Of The Dial" is my all time favorite Mats recording and Paul's vocal delivery on "Little Mascara" is pure perfection! I have a soft spot for every song on that record. By the way, I agree that Tommy Ramone's reveal that Bob was only in the studio for one day was very insightful to hear. I'm glad that we have a little bit of Bob's presence on Tim though.

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 10:30:14 AM PDT
I love Don't Tell a Soul and the movie rips this album to shreds, so don't feel bad about Tim. Everything they released has some appeal.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 7:07:09 PM PDT
Michael says:
Hey! Thank you for the comment and I agree, Don't Tell A Soul is a really great record!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 6:54:27 PM PDT
Humbucker says:
It's great that a young person has discovered the Replacements, they were truly one of the greats. But maybe the only"important" underground band of the 80's? Really!? I haven't the time to list others but please due some more due diligence on the subject. For starters, you need not look any further than the Twin Cities itself during that era. I have hundreds of ticket stubs, albums and memories that say otherwise.

Posted on Oct 21, 2012 4:25:18 AM PDT
Egebamyasi says:
Haven't seen the film yet. Tim might be their best record whether they like it or not. Don't Tell A Soul may have some good songs on it but I still don't like it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 3:58:00 AM PST
Ben Brown says:
Agree 100% with this. I, too, was surprised by the ignorance of that statement.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 2:51:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 2:53:30 PM PST
Tom Gannon says:
Kids these days, what are you gonna do, LOL? Excellent point about not having to leave the Twin Cities to find other important underground bands. I was a huge 'Mats fan and saw them somewhere around 8 or 9 times in the 1980's in various places in NYC. Three of those times, they were fantastic, just mind-blowingly great and the rest ranged from wildly inconsistent to drunk and disorderly. Anyone who saw them back then knows what I mean. They could be transcendent or completely and utterly wasted, too drunk to even play a song start to finish. And I agree that "Tim" is their best record, and I think the production is great on it ("Pleased To Meet Me" is also a well produced classic, "Let It Be" is a great record but is a bit lo-fi for my tastes.) Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing this film and glad to hear that some younger folks are into this great and important band, hyperbole aside.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›