1.0 out of 5 stars A Terrible Decline in Quality, September 11, 2012
This review is from: A Wanted Man (Jack Reacher) (Hardcover)
I have enjoyed the Reacher series quite a bit and have read them all more than once. But I was very disappointed in this one. The plot is convoluted, un-necessarily obscure and ploddingly slow. Lots of time in cars. Endless commentary on the virtues of the Ford Crown Vic. And no action until the very end. The author must know that an effort like this one is going to be characterized either as just written for the money or as proof that he has run out of inspiration. Also, why would anyone persist in using the diminutive Tom Cruise in the movie role when fans almost universally reject him as having anything to do with the Reacher character?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 13, 2012 8:47:37 PM PDT
ausGeoff says:
Good point about Cruise's inappropriateness for the Reacher role.

All us Reacher fans have a very personal and strong mind-picture of what Reacher looks like, and Tom Cruise surely ain't it - by a looong shot. Unless of course he's now wearing 9" Cuban heels LOL.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 17, 2012 10:03:29 PM PDT
book worm says:

Posted on Sep 18, 2012 2:59:56 PM PDT
Introduce Reacher with a terrific actor and let the character shine through. Doesn't Hollywood trust us viewers to actually THINK? Do we need TOM CRUISE? Jeez (disgusted) I am really shocked that Lee Child approved that.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2012 7:43:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2012 7:44:46 AM PDT
The doctor says:
Thank you for the review. I think it was ghost-written (badly) or that Mr Child wrote this half-asleep on a beach somewhere

I've read countless tirades by Dean Koontz over Hollywood wanting to re-write his work or even change the concept of the book. I wish Lee Child would take this approach and reject Hollywood as Cruise could not be more wrong. If the film is good I can't wait to hear reviews from people who go on to read the books and wonder how a hulking bruiser like Reacher ends up as a diminutuve half-pint like Cruise.

Of course Cruise will play against even smaller folk so as to appear larger

Posted on Oct 2, 2012 10:27:09 AM PDT
I think Christen Bale would of been the perfect Reacher. Tom Cruise is short, who would be afraid of him?

Posted on Oct 3, 2012 12:48:10 PM PDT
marlinmat says:
My understanding is that Cruise bought the rights to make the movie and Cruise claims Lee Child then approved of him playing the part of Reacher. Regardless of circumstances, the casting is disappointing to say the least.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 2:24:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2012 2:26:16 PM PDT
Lena says:
As disappointed in casting as everybody else. I guess, at this point of time, it's all about money for Lee Child ; if somebody disagrees, the poor quality of his last books and the Hollywood star's choice would indicate that I'm right . I never thought that I would post a comment like this about one of my ex-favourite authors.
Sad, really.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 3:31:00 PM PST
ohng says:
Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher?????????!!!!. I simply can't believe it.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 1:58:06 PM PST
Kathryn says:
I have to agree that this book was BORING. There was no character development, and I had a very hard time finishing the book. It made me car sick. The character of Jack Reacher has been at the top of my list of favorites. From THE KILLING FLOOR through BAD LUCK AND TROUBLE, I just lived for a new Reacher book. With NOTHING TO LOSE, it has been down hill all the way for me and my husband. I read all the books, and my husband and I listened to all the audios together. I said there is no way we are listening to this book. Lee Child mentioned that he wrote it during the filming of the Reacher movie. I am suspicious that he even wrote it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 10:20:30 PM PST
jolly says:
Ditto to Lena. The movie stinks. The magic of Reacher's thinking is missing and Tom Cruise couldn't play Reacher even if he grew up!......pun intended.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (3,291 customer reviews)
 (1,367)