86 of 122 people found the following review helpful
Best Halo yet!,
This review is from: Halo 4 - Xbox 360 (Standard Game) (Video Game)
Six months ago I was convinced that NOBODY could possibly take the incredible work of Bungie and maintain their level of quality and refinement. I had no intention of buying Halo 4. But over the past couple of months 343 would keep putting out videos that kept me intrigued. I decided to give in to the hype and I am absolutely blown away by what I am seeing on my 60" screen...
* The game feels like Halo, but it also feels new - not sure if that is helpful, but they managed to keep the core while pushing the story and gameplay forward
* The graphics are superb, but the sound is absolutely the best of any game I have every played. The gun sounds "punch" your speakers pretty hard and all the affects really grab your attention
* A lot of diversity and progression has been added to the multiplayer aspect of the game. I am less of a "run and gun" type player so I appreciate some of the game modes where the goal is to capture buildings (Dominion) or control space (King of the Hill). It adds a layer of strategy that allows us mediocre gamers to play a key role
* Spartan Ops is fun! With three other friends you can play these "bite-sized" missions and continue the story beyond the campaign. I believe we will continue to get new missions every week so my friends and I have new content to play together every weekend!
* In the campaign, I kept running out of ammo and was forced to switch weapons constantly. Sometimes trying new weapons was a lot of fun, but other times it was a drag using the plasma gun over and over and over...
* In mutliplayer when I watch my Death Cam to see how I was killed, it seems like they dont always hit me and I still died. Its like there is some sort of an accuracy issue with the game. Either the Death Cam is wrong, or I am getting killed by bullets that are not hitting me. Either way it needs to be fixed
Overall, I am still surprised that anyone can take a big franchise like Halo over and somehow manage to not only keep the "magic" but actually make it feel like the next step. I have no regrets buying Halo 4!
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2012 6:38:36 AM PST
Nice review. I'm having the same experience with running out of ammo on the campaign, but I actually find it refreshing both to have to conserve ammo by not firing wildly at enemies and to have to pick up and use a variety of guns to complete a mission.
Posted on Nov 9, 2012 9:25:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 9:25:42 AM PST
There is nothing wrong with the game or the death cam. Death cams are not an exact replays of what happened, but rather a recreation of the data displayed back to you. What you see in the death cam is not a true representation of what really happened.
Posted on Nov 9, 2012 11:31:49 AM PST
Carlos arturo Arrazola says:
The deathcam is happening to me 2.. so annoying. But great review! amazing game
Posted on Nov 9, 2012 12:10:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 12:11:51 PM PST
name one time in the camp. where the shotgun or sword were usefull.... still waiting. yes shields are weak to make it seem simular to COD grats.
Posted on Nov 10, 2012 11:47:46 AM PST
The death cam issue is an artifact of how the game saves replays; every second or so it saves your location, what direction you are facing, and what weapon you have equipped, as well as a few bytes of other information. This allows it to re-create replays without having to stream video from other players (Believe me, you generally don't want to stream video while playing an online game).
The catch? this data isn't perfectly continuous, and sometimes the rendering engine draws the models in a different position than they were during the live action. As a result, the cam's are sometimes a bit off. Try watching a replay from a friends point of view and you can see they experience the same thing.
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 10:15:50 AM PST
I used the shotgun quite regularly against Elites and Knights with excellent results. Never liked the sword, however.
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 8:19:42 AM PST
Dustin McLain says:
What game did you play? Shotguns are extremely useful. almost needed to get through the campaign on legendary. i didnt use the sword only because the covenant werent that hard.
Posted on Nov 22, 2012 10:12:10 AM PST
I agree with you on both running out of ammo in the campaign (annoying as hell) and getting killed by bullets that don't hit me. That especially happens in snipers and SWAT. Hopefully they'll get a patch for that soon
Posted on Dec 29, 2012 12:23:39 PM PST
Z. Roper says:
Sometimes it looks like the player didn't hit you because that's how the gameplay looked through your connection. In other words, your connection to the server may be slower than the other player's, so on the killcam, you may not be perfectly in the reticle when shot, although you were on their screen.
In my experience, I have a 2.1 kd and I use sniper whenever I can. I have yet to get a kill where the guy wasn't in the reticle.
Posted on Apr 3, 2015 3:27:08 PM PDT
Easily the worst halo in every regard from multiplayer to story. This is a bad video game not just a bad halo.