5.0 out of 5 stars Now THIS is the kind of "self help" book that this Baby Boomer appreciated!, March 5, 2011
This review is from: Moonwalking With Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything (Hardcover)
Whether you have memory problems (can't recall the name of someone you met a week ago?) or not, you're likely to improve your memory after reading this book. Even if you don't - but odds are you will - it makes for fascinating reading.

It definitely was a major aid for me and I do think of it as a unique "self help" book, one that can have immediate results, helping to make life easier, alleviate tricky memory issues and more. I think it is important to disclose that I'm a Baby Boomer and my memory seems to have worsened with age. I used to recall the name of nearly everyone I met as well as both major and minor actors and actresses, all of my teachers (from kindergarten through high school) as well as the first and last names of every one of my high school classmates. I could recall even tiny details of books read long ago.

But Moonwalking with Einstein goes far beyond remembering the names of acqaintances. It can help make your daily life easier, aiding you when you try to find lost items - or keep them from getting lost in the first place- and actually train you to find ways to improve your memory.

For added fun, the author includes examples of people who have amazing abilities to recall things. I wondered if at least one of them could give Vegas a run for its money or even be banned from casinos. Although I don't plan to test my abilities in Vegas, I have been practicing in casual card games, with gratifying results. The surprised looks from friends and family members was worth the cost of the book.

I'd strongly recommend you give this one a try. The techniques can even be fun for a whole family to share - and test -together. And c'mon...how can you pass up a book which explores "the art and science of remembering everything"?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 7, 2011 2:35:33 PM PST
Wulfstan says:
Great review, and I need this book!

Posted on Mar 9, 2011 3:55:55 PM PST
A nice review!

- author Sam

Posted on Mar 11, 2011 9:18:21 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 12, 2011 9:55:03 AM PST]

Posted on Mar 12, 2011 9:57:49 AM PST
I am so game! I had an old tattered paperback when I was a teen (can't remember the author--LOL!) that instructed on a memory improvement technique, mostly by assigning different names and associations. Which worked, for my limited needs. I seek more, maybe this new Einstein book. I think I would enjoy this, from what you stated in your review.

Switterbug

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2011 10:35:00 AM PST
K. Corn says:
Switterbug - and others. I am also reading books about Jeopardy and how contestants learn trivia, whether for Jeopardy or personal use. Your paperback is probably one mentioned in Brainiac: Adventures in the Curious, Competitive, Compulsive World of Trivia Buffs (written by Ken Jennings, who set a record for consecutive winnings on Jeopardy). That, too, is a fascinating book and he notes that he carried around several tattered copies of books on memory improvement as well as other volumes of pure trivia. He had an obsession with Jeopardy and trivia from a very young age.

Posted on Mar 14, 2011 11:19:59 AM PDT
Wow, do I need this book! It is now 1318 hours, I am setting here in music class at school, and I cannot for the life of me remember if I had breakfast and if I did, do not have a clue as to what I ate....arrrrgh!
Nicely done reivew.
don

Posted on Mar 19, 2011 11:33:49 AM PDT
K. Zarifes says:
Great review!

So which card games have you been using the memory techniques with?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2011 2:12:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 24, 2011 4:12:39 PM PDT
K. Corn says:
For K. Zarifes: I've used it while playing a variety of card games and have even taught my kids some of the techniques. This definitely improved their card playing skills! Some card games played have been Black Jack, poker, Hearts, Bridge, etc. You can up your odds of winning in nearly any card game where where it helps to know which cards have been used and which are still left. Just my personal take, but I wouldn't use these techniques when playing against a person where things are very unevenly matched - a very young child, an older person with memory issues, etc.

I do play cards with some elderly people in nursing homes and card games help them improved their memory and focus. However, a fair number have significant memory issues and to trounce them every time seems cruel to me- as well as unhelpful. Also, I've suggested this book to those who I know and could use the book during card games - especially if they ask how I've improved my skills. That way, we can compare our results.

Posted on Apr 23, 2011 11:48:37 AM PDT
howard says:
I just finished reading the book and all I can ask is "did we read the same book?"

The author makes a point of saying that this NOT a book to help you remember where you put your keys. He even relates the story where after he won the memory championship he not only forgot where he parked the car, he forgot that he took the car.

There is only one spot in the book where he encourages the reader to do any form of memory exercises. Most of the time he alludes to how to do them, but doesn't follow through with the full technique.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 25, 2011 10:59:43 AM PDT
K. Corn says:
I really did find the information useful. Also, for the memory exercises which the author only notes, I at least had a starting point for researching these techniques. Because of the mention of various memory tips, I had far more to go on. I do agree that the author didn't seem to get as much as expected but results can vary widely between people. All I can add is that my memory did improve after reading this one (and following up on the information about potential memory aids). Because of this I found life easier and had fewer lost items.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›