5.0 out of 5 stars Overall Great Job Nintendo, April 7, 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Nintendo 3DS - Aqua Blue (Video Game)
Rating 5 Stars = I love it!

Having played the 3DS for nearly two weeks on and off, I am ready to type up my review. This is a review of the system overall. I have had a DS Lite, DSi and DSiXL, so I've had a good taste of the technology. The 3DS is Nintendo's "New" console. That's right, it is not another iteration of the previous DS systems, it is considered a new console, like when the Wii came out. With that in mind, here is my review.

I have been playing Pilotwings Resort as well as all the other system-included apps. The first thing I noticed is the much improved graphics. The graphics remind me more of the Wii graphics. I haven't seen all the other games available, however Pilotwings was done very well. The graphics were smooth and fluid--this is easily noticed due to the improved performance this device is capable of.

The improvements in this system:

Visuals:
The screen resolution is much more sharp than previously available. The touch screen is about as big as the DSi's touch screen so if you're going form a DSi, you won't be disappointed in the least. In fact, I've heard folks complain about how small the screens are--not so! The top screen is a wide screen, so now you'll be able to enjoy all the new games in widescreen! Don't think it makes a difference? Just give it a try. Playing Pilotwings in 3D really does make a difference. I am very satisfied with the screen quality, resolution, color etc. They chose a great quality screen and it will be exciting to see what games will put a smile on our faces in the future.

The next improvements are the apps. It comes with face raiders, AR games and the Mii plaza. These are just to add value to the device and are nice to showcase what the 3DS is capable of. In other words, they're not going to keep you entertained for hours on end, but they are enjoyable to show your friends. The AR games are pretty cool--the first time I saw them, I was quite happy about it. I could tell Nintendo had really thought about how to give the consumer even more than just 3D.

Something else that is cool is you can now get your pictures from your computer, put them on the SD card and actually view them! For some reason Nintendo didn't make this possible on previous DS systems.

The 3D effect is for real. It is awesome and the only way to know what I'm talking about is to try it out for yourself. Nintendo does not release technology like this until it's ready and it's actually quite amazing. With that in mind, I'm not going to spend much time on this, because this was done well, you just have to try it out for yourself to see if you like it.

Audio:
The music app is a lot better. Why? You can now put your non-protected .mp3 music right onto the 3DS. You get the folder with your mp3s, copy them to the 3DS SD card and boom, you're ready to go! It has some cool visual players that make it fun to play music. Of course the sound is crisp and clear. To be honest, the speakers on the 3DS are very good. Not too quiet, not too loud. I think Nintendo was trying to help conserve battery power by now allowing it to be too loud, but when the room is quiet, it is plenty loud.

When I plugged in my standard ipod earphones and played Pilotwings, the sound quality was perfect. There are no limitations for the sound quality the 3DS will play. You want orchestral sounds? The 3DS can do it. You won't be disappointed with the sounds quality of the 3DS and as long as the game developers release great soundtracks, the 3DS does not lack in this department.

Hardware look and feel:
When I first saw the 3DS in aqua blue, I thought to myself, not a bad looking device! It has a nice sparkly surface that goes gradually lighter and darker so it's not just a solid plastic. The quality of the device is great as well. There is a lip on the upper portion of the device that makes it very easy to open up. Not that the previous DSs were hard to open, but it just makes it very clear where to open it. The buttons are improved from previous devices, they feel good to press. The L and R buttons feel better than any previous system I've had. The volume and 3D volume sliders are located in convenient places so overall it's great. My only complaint is where the stylus is located. It's almost hidden and thought to myself, why would they put it there? I'm right-handed, so I thought it would have been better served if they put it on the RIGHT side, but go figure--Nintendo probably had a reason for this, but hopefully next revs are better. It's not that big of a deal to me, but it is kind of annoying. The stylus itself is a telescoping stylus and is of high quality, certainly much better quality than the plastic styli that came with the previous so no big complaints.

The camera is cool, just as good as previous versions. The only improvement here I can see is it does 3D pictures. The quality of the camera itself is not superb. The 3D is cool, but it doesn't actually blow your mind because the camera is not so great. I don't think most people play their DS to take pictures, so I find this of minimal concern.

Something that will take some getting use to is the location of the Select and Start buttons versus the power button. It's more natural to press the power button on the 3DS to return to the home screen, however now you press an actual "Home" button, which is located directly below the touch screen. Not a great location, but I am not sure how they would have made this better. I think it's just a matter of getting use to how it works. If you're in a game, you can press the home button, and it will suspend your game and take you home. This is a cool feature in and of itself, but even cooler than that, there is a game notes app so while your game is suspended, it will display the two screens you were in when you suspended the game and you can make notes! Pretty sweet. You can even save those notes to your SD card.

Overall, the hardware is great. I like the cradle it came with. You don't ever have to power down the 3DS, just close the lid, cradle and it will recharge while it's in that state, which is pretty sweet.

Here is a beef you may not like. The 3DS offers backwards compatibility to your DS/DSi games so they can be played. The drawback? The 3DS has completely different screen resolution so in order to make it "fit" on the screen, it must stretch the image. The overall quality is not pretty in my opinion, because you can tell the colors are not as vibrant, and the picture quality is not as sharp. Now you can load the game with the original resolution, but in order to do this, it shrinks the picture down A LOT. I can see how some people would complain about this. For myself, I'm not getting rid of my DSiXL so it's not a show stopper for me, but it may be for some who are going to be getting rid of their DSi.

Something else I found quite annoying was with how so many vendors were offering trade-ins for consumers old DS systems for credit towards your shiny new 3DS, especially the DSiXL. Well, this is all well and good, but if you have purchased games on your DSi/DSiXL you will lose them, because Nintendo doesn't offer the transfer app until the end of May, so I would be upset about this. Again, this is not a show stopper for me because I'm not getting rid of my DSiXL system, because I love how huge the screen is.

Overall, if you think about the 3DS as a completely new console (and it is) and not another revision of the DS system, you will not be disappointed with it's backwards compatibility, but if this is a show stopper, stop by and demo the 3DS at any local retailer.

It's a sweet system and aside from my annoyances with the backwards compatibility, it will be an awesome system for many years to come. I am keeping my DSiXL for sure, and when the 3DSXL comes out, I'll be getting that and giving my old one to my wife :) Even with the limitations, I'm still giving this system 5 stars, because of the considerations I've already mentioned. Don't be nervous, you won't be disappointed, but keep your old DS system so you can play it in their original glory.

Enjoy!