463 of 484 people found the following review helpful
Great Add-On for two handed games,
This review is from: Wii Nunchuk Controller - White (Video Game)
In martial arts, nunchucks are a pair of short wood rods connected with a chain that ninjas whirl around their bodies :) With the Wii, the nunchuck is a single controller held in your off hand.
The nunchuck is not the main controller unit for the Wii. The Wii primarily uses the Wii Remote, shaped like a TV remote, for its functionality. The Nunchuck is for use in the "other hand" (i.e. your left hand if you're right handed) just for a few games. It plus into the bottom end of the Wii Remote with a cable that's about 2 1/2 feet long. Most of the time, you leave it unplugged and sitting by the console.
For example, in the sports pack that comes with the Wii, only one of the five games uses the nunchuck. This is the boxing game. You use the nunchuck to hit with your off hand, just as you use the Wii remote to punch and jab with your primary hand.
The nunchuck has the same motion sensing technology as the Wii remote does, so that you can move your hand around and the game knows what you are doing. The buttons are much simpler - there is a Z big trigger button, a smaller C trigger button above it, and then a joystick up on top. For some games, no buttons are used at all.
The cable length is designed so you don't trip yourself with it :) It's long enough that if you held your hands apart, you could easily ride even a wide-handled bike. It's not long enough that you could put both arms straight out to the left and right, though. I've never had any problems with the cable length hindering me. None of the games require you to have your hands far apart. In boxing, for example, your hands are always near each other and there's plenty of cable length even when you're jabbing.
The nunchuck doesn't need its own power - it plugs into the Wii remote controller when it's in use. So there's no worry about charging up or batteries.
I would definitely have at least one functional nunchuck for my Wii, and if you're really into multiplayer two-handed games like boxing matches, then having two would be important. However, for most gamers, one will probably suffice!
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 19, 2006 4:40:37 PM PST
Scott Dier says:
Except for games like, say, Rayman or Red Steel multiplayer -- those both require the controller for all players.
Posted on Nov 22, 2006 9:00:48 AM PST
J. Michael Eugenio says:
Any game that decides to use an analog stick will use this nunchuck, and most games will decide to use the analog stick, especially games that actaully require controlling a character. In wii sports, the players are controlled on their own.
Posted on Jan 31, 2007 10:04:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 31, 2007 10:05:46 AM PST
Ok, someone is looking at someone else's homework . . .
This review had many parts which are verbatim from the Amazon.com Product Description.
Compare the reviewer's "The nunchuck doesn't need its own power - it plugs into the Wii remote controller when it's in use. So there's no worry about charging up or batteries."
to this "Also, the Nunchuk controller doesn't need its own power--it plugs into the Wii Remote controller when it's in use. So there's no need to worry about charging or replacing expensive batteries."
What gives? I'd expect better from a "Top 100 reviewer."
(Unless of course Amazon stole it from you!)
Posted on Mar 12, 2007 9:32:13 AM PDT
Amazon Customer says:
What this reviewer doesn't seem to mention is that the Wii comes with one nunchuck controller. If, as she would suggest, you only need the one nunchuck controller, then there is no need to purchase one separate from the system.
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 5, 2007 6:58:10 AM PDT
S. Murphy says:
If you want to play 2 player boxing you will need 2 nunchucks and 2 remotes
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2008 3:37:16 PM PST
It was an Amazon merchant who stole from my posting, that happens fairly frequently when an Amazon merchant is feeling lazy. They feel that Amazon reviews are now "public domain" and they can use what I wrote ...
Posted on Feb 13, 2008 7:49:42 PM PST
A. Fawson says:
Yep, You pretty much need the nunchuk for 80% of all wii games. the other 20 percent are party games.
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2008 8:27:19 PM PST
Yes I think in the beginning game makers weren't sure how to "use" the nunchuk in their game but now that there are so many games for the Wii they're all getting the hang of it and using it :)
Posted on Jul 29, 2008 7:07:11 AM PDT
Supriya S. Sharma says:
this review will probably help most people to decide whether they want more than one nunchuck or just one
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2008 8:52:00 PM PDT
I think at this point that you really need a nunchuck for each player - most games are now taking advantage of them.