5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight & Quiet, makes this ideal traveling projector, March 26, 2009
This review is from: Epson EX70 3LCD Multimedia Projector, WXGA, 2000 Lumens (Office Product)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Most of the reviews on this product have been for primarily home use as part of a home theater system, or use as an outdoor projector for summer movies. I think the other reviewers cover its benefits quite well, and as this is not my intended main use for this projector (although summer outdoor movies do sound lovely), I will be focusing on its benefits as a traveling projector.

First off, I would like to be clear that I haven't given this a full trial run on the go, but have been putting it through its paces within my home, based on the different scenarios I might use it for outside the home as a college level teacher. I have been relying on borrowed projectors, or university ones (that come delivered with huge, unwieldy carts), so this one will be reviewed primarily based on what I have found I disliked and liked about other projectors I have used.

Overall, this is a nicely designed projector with clear picture and nice color (you can, additionally, select the picture mode you are using it for and it will adjust accordingly, nice extra benefit). The motor is not too loud, and the weight is not too heavy-- an important factor when you consider you might be carrying up stairs, or a few blocks to your presentation destination-- especially important to me, who parks about a 15+ min trek from my car to my classroom on campus and will most likely be laden with other bags of books and teaching materials. The bag that comes with it is fairly standard, and has nice padding and a generous pocket to keep the cords and manual in. One of my favorite features are the speakers. I have used quite a few projectors that don't have speakers and bought an inexpensive pair of travel speakers to plug into my laptop when utilizing video clips or other media with sound, but found that those travel speakers were not sufficient for my classroom. These speakers will do the job nicely and would be suitable for small to medium sized presentations (think 10-30 people). The fact that they are built in and have additional sound power will be a big plus for me in the future.

There are just a few other things I would like to draw attention to. One is the on/off time and the buttons. This projector has a quick on/off (no warm up/cool down for the bulb), that makes for a quick set up and shut down. In addition, the buttons on top of the machine for the menu, the lamp, and navigating such things as your slide show, are easy to maneuver (unlike some projectors I've used). In contrast to some other projectors I used, this one also allows you to connect a turned on computer to the turned on projector--often they will make you shut down the computer, connect the cords and then restart in order for the projector to read the device-- eliminating this need can save time if you already have your computer on for something else and merely want to move to a larger sharing format on your projector.

Small notes-- Although it mentions use of a USB cord, be aware that is only for pc based computers, for mac users (like myself) you will still need the convertor for the VGA cord. I also tried out the SD slideshow option and can see the potential use for that. It allows you to set the specifications of the slideshow, so that it could essentially (I think) be used for powerpoint presentations that are only using text and stills (no music as far as I can tell right now) without a computer (if converted correctly), or for purely photo based presentations. I myself would love to exploit this possibility as the added weight and burden of the laptop would be nice to eliminate.

Overall, I see great potential for this projector for teachers and/or the business world (this would be ideal if you are self-employed and traveling to different venues to present information or make sales pitches), and also find it easy to use. I can't wait to take it out into the world!

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]