5.0 out of 5 stars Mr. Harrison Is The Man, January 15, 2013
This review is from: The River Swimmer: Novellas (Hardcover)
For me at any rate. No writer -- of who knows how many I've read -- has given me more reading pleasure than he has. More moments when I just had to put the book down for a second and say to myself, "Wow! Can he write or what?"
Which, for me, is really saying something since I'm not crazy about the way he actually writes. Huh? you say. Well, for one thing -- as another reviewer mentioned elsewhere -- Mr. Harrison seems to have an issue with comma usage. Meaning he appears to hate them and avoids them. Which often requires me to have to re-read a sentence to get the flow and meaning of it. Mentioning that, however, is not unlike pointing out that one's new Porsche has a spot of dirt on it. It's of no real consequence and would amount to silly, literary petulance on my part if I were to make an issue out of it.
Which is something an author who can somehow make a walk in a wood seem as reason enough to be alive doesn't deserve.
Talking specifically of this book, though, "The River Swimmer," as usual, I loved it. But I admit to being spoiled. I wanted more of Clive. Or, rather, more Jim Harrison on Clive (an aging failed artist looking into the eyes of life's remaining years). So I was more than a little disappointed when the novella abruptly came to an end. But that's dirt-on-the-Porsche nonsense again.
To be honest, I've yet to read the shorter, remaining novella. Wanted to save a little something for the next nasty, good-to-be-indoors day. Because, for me, there's not a better writer for days like that than Jim Harrison.
And on a personal note to Mr. Harrison (while I pretend that he might actually read this): I got a kick out of it when you mentioned Zingerman's. Among other things, we regularly get Parmesan from them. From FedEx. Just like Clive.
Well, maybe I should explain that reference to everyone. If you like quality food products (as Mr. Harrison does), check out Zingerman's. Really good stuff. Just like Mr. Harrison's writing.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]