4.0 out of 5 stars Covers the Law of Attraction, Deliberate Creation, Art of Allowing, Segment Intending, and More, September 27, 2006
This review is from: The Law of Attraction: The Basics of the Teachings of Abraham (Paperback)
"The best scenario is to desire something and to bring yourself into the belief or expectation of achieving it...If you have a strong desire for something but you doubt your ability to achieve it, it cannot come, at least not right now, for you must bring your thought of desire and your thought of belief into alignment." - From the book

For several decades, a group of advanced spiritual teachers known as Abraham has channeled messages through Esther Hicks. What began as a series of audios has now been compiled in book and deck form, with Esther and her husband, Jerry, disseminating three major laws advocated by Abraham: The Law of Attraction, the Law of Deliberate Intent, and the Law of Allowing.

In The Law of Attraction: The Basic Teachings of Abraham, the Hicks' convey the fundamentals of the "Creative Workshop" which is the place that we enter, every day, as we ponder what we want--and don't want--out of life. They assert that individuals are always creating and attracting, regardless of ignorance of the three Universal Laws. We create by default, they say, just by thinking and speaking along certain lines--believing in the likelihood of a result and gathering confirming data from our environment. Here's an example of this creation from the book:

"The steady offering of details of illness is very influential in the increasing sickness in your society. If you allow yourself to focus upon the constant barrage of unpleasant statistics regarding the never-ending stream of possible physical maladies, it cannot help but affect your personal point of attraction."

Here are a few more snippets of Abraham's wisdom as conveyed in The Law of Attraction, as channeled by Esther:

"Your negative emotion is your indication that you hold beliefs that are contrary to your own desire."

"The more you think of what you want, the more the Law of Attraction will bring the evidence of it to you, until you *will* believe it."

"If there are others who see something in you that they do not approve of, most often you see their disapproval reflected back through their eyes, and you feel that you have gone wrong in some way. And we say unto you, it is not *your* lack, it is *theirs*. It is *their* inability to be the *Allower* that brings forth their negative emotion; it is not *your* imperfection."

"When you consider many subjects at the same time, you generally do not move forward strongly toward any of them, for your focus and your power is diffused, whereas if you are focusing upon that which is most important in any point of time, you move forward more powerfully toward that."

Now, let me share a bit of my impressions and experience. As a teaching, I was first introduced to the Law of Attraction by Michael Losier. In my opinion, his book of the same name is far superior to this title by the Hicks'. I had experience with manifesting what I desired before I read Michael's book, so I was familiar with the law of attraction. However, I have some misgivings about a portion of it, and here
is my reasoning:

Most times I read something on the Law of Attraction, I feel sick to my stomach. I was totally turned off by Lynn Grabhorn's Excuse Me! Your Life is Waiting, but found Michael Losier's book Law of Attraction pretty darn sensible.

Yet, I can't help but feel the Law of Attraction is a bit simplistic--offering only a portion of the big picture. I'm especially troubled that the Law of Attraction seems to fly in the face of the wisdom of avatars like Jesus. For example, the Bible encourages compassion with passages like "weep with those who weep". Yet, books like the Hicks' pretty much advocate turning away from anything unpleasant and instead focusing on "feeling good". After all, those poor souls are only attracting what matches their vibration--so let them suffer with their miserable magnetism.

I agree with Abraham that being joyful is the best gift we can offer to the world, but I can't see how burying heads in the sand will add good vibes to the planet. Yes, what you focus on increases--I agree with that, too. But to run away from those who are hurting and suffering merely because we don't want to taint our precious vibration field... It smacks of "fiddling while Rome burns".

While I appreciate the wisdom of the Law of Deliberate Intent, the Law of Allowing and even much of the Law of Attraction-- I can't help but feel something is missing from this picture. (Perhaps...heart?) I'm very big on "over thinking" to my detriment. And even Abraham advises that it's best to "follow good feelings" rather than monitor our thoughts 24/7. But for one such as I who is a "mental type", it's not so easy to turn off the constant evaluation of thoughts when buying into the Law of Attraction. It can create a cycle of fear, in my opinion.

To be fair Abraham *does* address this very thing in The Law of Attraction:

"...some of you feel uncomfortable with what seems like the overwhelming task of monitoring thoughts, sorting them out, and offering only those that will yield things that you *do* want. We do not encourage a monitoring of thoughts, for we agree that would be incredibly time-consuming and cumbersome, but instead recommend a conscious utilization of your Emotional Guidance System."

I totally concur with this idea, but the rub is that in order to be aware of how we create by default, we need to educate ourselves, in part, as to how our thought patterns, expectations, and emotional state contributes to manifestation. And that involves a degree of thinking/monitoring--at least in the beginning stages--which can be a bit frustrating.

I love the information on Segment Intending and the Art of Allowing, and know them to be very helpful in deliberate creation. I just feel that the way in which Abraham's wisdom is offered is a bit "top heavy". If you're just beginning your journey towards Deliberate (conscious) Creation, I recommend that you get Michael Losier's book, as well as two decks from the Hicks' (also published by Hay House): the Ask and It Is Given Cards and The Teachings of Abraham: Well-Being Cards.

However, if you want thorough information straight from Abraham's mouth, then you'll no doubt want to get this book. The Law of Attraction is quite readable, but the way some of the wisdom is presented may give you a bit of a headache--especially as you juggle some of the ideas on attracting undesired situations.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 17, 2006 8:59:42 AM PDT
lovevol says:
That is a true and sincere review. I couldn't agree more. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 17, 2006 2:30:41 PM PDT
Janet Boyer says:
Thank you for your gracious feedback, Ornella. I strive to be fair and honest in my reviews, and I'm glad you recgonized these traits in my review of The Law of Attraction. All the best to you!

Janet

Posted on Oct 18, 2006 6:00:09 PM PDT
Dear Janet
I haven't read this book yet, but others from Abraham. I don't remember that Abraham encourage "...to run away from those who are hurting and suffering..." I would say that, if it is joyful for you to "wheep with those who wheep", by all means do so! Follow your bliss! But often it is true that you can try has hard as you want to help somebody, and they just don't want, or aren't able yet. I remember myself to be one of this! And maybe I would have learned this lesson faster, if my good intentioned friends would just have left me alone!
All The Best To You, and thank for your review!
Love

Posted on Oct 18, 2006 7:37:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2006 9:38:00 AM PDT
Gwynne Curry says:
Janet, thank you for this very thoughtful review. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and everyone's opinion is right! That's because it is always filtered through their own personal beliefs.

As a long-time student of Abraham I'd like to add that after more than 5 years of being a subscriber to the monthly, and now, the weekly tapes/CDs of recorded workshops I've never heard Abraham say anything about not being compassionate. However, they don't advocate sympathy or empathy which are very different from compassion.

Abraham offers the consummate example of compassion at every "live" workshop by allowing audience members to sit in the "hot seat" and ask questions. Often times these questioners are very emotionally distraught. Abraham listens with compassion without joining in the emotional upset of the person asking the question. They lovingly take a very light-hearted approach in offering advice and asking questions themselves in an attempt to guide the person to see their problem in a new light. They set a very good example for us as to how we can be of assistance to others.

The only difference with this scenario is that the people in the "hot seat" are asking for answers and, usually, are ready to receive them. When we meet people who are having a hard time, they are very rarely asking us to tell them how they can help themselves get better. So, it gets a bit tricky.

A person who is allowing Law of Attraction to work for them instead of against them is at a different vibrational level than a person who hasn't learned to do this. The Emotional Guidance System and the explanation of the vibrational equivalent of various emotions is explained in great detail in "Ask And It Is Given" and, also, in "Power vs Force" by David Hawkins, M.D.

Once you have reached a vibration that is in harmony with Source Energy, your vibration is at such a different level that it is difficult to communicate with someone vibrating at a much lower level. It is impossible for the other person to jump up the Emotional Guidance System to where you're vibrating and if you lower your vibration to that of the other person, you know that you're setting yourself up to attract something unwanted into your life.

I don't remember one passage in the Bible that says Jesus wept with anyone who was weeping and Jesus, supposedly, set an example for us to follow. Jesus didn't even allow himself to see sick people as being sick. It was his unwavering knowledge of who these humans truly were (extensions of Source Energy or God) that gave him the power to heal them. Jesus understood it was their thoughts that had caused their sickness and that was the basis for his admonition to "tell no one" about their healing. He knew that thinking and talking about it would only cause them to be sick again.

Abraham says that "you can't get it wrong because you are eternal beings" which means we have eternity to figure it out. So, however one chooses to respond to people in need is ok. The guideline Abraham encourages us to use is to ask "How does it make you feel to do this?" If it makes you feel good to offer assistance without joining in the vibration of the other person, then by all means do it. On the other hand, if the action doesn't feel good, don't do it.

This same guideline applies to helping us figure out if Law of Attraction is taking us closer to something wanted or unwanted... simply pay attention to how you feel instead of monitoring thoughts. Whenever you realize you aren't feeling very good, simply find a thought that causes you to feel a little better, or causes a feeling of relief.

As you can probably tell, I'm a fan of Abraham to the core. ;-)

Posted on Oct 19, 2006 6:44:52 AM PDT
Shelly Thorn says:
Dear Janet,
Thank you for posting your thoughts! I laughed at your "mental type" comment. Thought you might like to know that I was one, too :) and probably always will be to some degree but that I've gradually shifted to feeling that I am more effective using more of my "other" types of "knowing" in addition to the logical conscious brain. If you are interested in seeing what this might be like for you, you may wish to try a bit of meditation. I had my best luck starting out with meditation in a particular hatha yoga class where the instructor ended every class with a guided meditation. But there are lots of ways to try meditation to see what works best for you. Thanks again for the review and best of luck! --Shelly Thorn

Posted on Oct 26, 2006 10:04:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2006 10:05:54 PM PDT
Janet Boyer says:
To those who are participating in an obvious negative voting campaign against my review:

A WORD ABOUT VOTING AT AMAZON: When you see the buttons under "Was this review helpful?", it is not asking you DO YOU AGREE WITH THE REVIEWER'S OPINION. It is asking CUSTOMERS if the review helped them make a more informed puchasing decision--either yea or nay. Voting NO out of spite or philosophical/ideological differences is not the purpose of those buttons...and is not fair to the Reviewer.

P.S. I don't have time to address individual comments put on my reviews (now numbering well over 600). If you have something specific to convey, by all means email me.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2006 6:07:44 PM PDT
Christine22 says:
Janet,

you're right about these laws being incomplete--there are things missing here and it does have to do with heart. Not merely compassion though, but with having a balance between heart and mind and congruency within (left brain and right brain). And it isn't simply about thought. You can think all you want and so what? Thought can get you some things but not many.

The "problem" with all channeled material is the information is only as good as the mind of the channeler (since that is the filter and at the same time, the block) and then, you have to practice the principles and see if they work and how often they work. If you get fast results that's good, and if you get consistent results that's means you're on the right track. If you don't, there's still something missing. (You have to look at these things as both a scientist and an artist.)And I know that these principles are incomplete, there's more to all this.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2006 2:15:01 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2006 2:18:03 PM PDT
Kindle Rob says:
That was exceptional. Thank you Gwynne for elucidating the concept for us readers :)

Posted on Nov 11, 2006 1:58:06 PM PST
I wanted to do just a little more than click on the 'was this helpful' button. I'd like to add that this review told me more about the Abraham books than most do. In fact, this review has been sort of a tipping point--I've been wondering whether or not I should start reading this series, and I think now I will. Thanks, Ms. Boyer.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2006 5:59:09 PM PST
Janet Boyer says:
I'm glad my review helped you find the direction that's best for you at this time in your life. :o)

Janet