15 of 18 people found the following review helpful
5 stars for the awesome device, 3 stars for the lousy battery,
This review is from: Apple iPod touch 8 GB (2nd Generation) (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
First of all, I absolutely love the device itself. Without going into details about all of the wonderful features of this device, which other reviewers here have already done to death, I will just say that this is one of the most impressive gadgets I've ever played with. The things this little device can do and do very well are just mind blowing. Alas, if only it had a reasonably powerful battery to go with it.....
I'm very disappointed with the short battery life. Sure, if you just listen to songs you'll probably get ~35 hours of playtime as claimed by Apple, but who amongst us bought this expensive device just to listen to songs? It's too expensive to be used simply as an MP3 player. For me, it was the Touch's wi-fi capability that was THE main buying point and in that department I found the result to be decidedly mixed. While the wi-fi feature works flawlessly and beautifully, it just saps the life out of the battery in no time. In my experience, using wi-fi continuously drains the battery (to the 20% level) within 2-3 hours. Even if you implement all the power saving features recommended by Apple & other users, you would still be lucky to get 2 days of playtime even under normal usage (1-2 hours of internet and 4-5 hours of music & apps). I don't mind charging my Touch every day but the downside is every charge brings the battery that much closer to its end, which is about 400 charges according to Apple. In other words, this $200 + device will be basically useless within 2 years unless you pay Apple $80 to have the battery replaced. Just think about that. Your beloved Touch will be useless within 2 years, or sooner if you charge it every day, unless you've no problem forking over $80 to have the battery replaced.
Conclusion: A+ for the device, B- for the battery.
Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 3, 2009 6:28:49 PM PST
Daniel Dear says:
I agree, the battery life is horrible. Would have never bought it if I had known beforehand. F MINUS for the battery life.
Posted on Jan 5, 2009 10:09:58 PM PST
umm, its well known that wifi drains batteries. your laptop has a huge battery and it drains in 2-4 hours on wifi easily. the ipod touch is tiny, and you should be glad that it even lasts 2 hours. carry your charger or buy a spare external battery, not a big deal, jeez
Posted on Jul 19, 2014 8:26:13 PM PDT
I disagree; I bought my ipod in 2007 and it is still going just like the energizer bunny. The battery is just now(07/2014) getting to the point where after 1hr of watching a video; i need to plug in the charger. Also, still in great shape externally because right after i bought it, I immediately put it into a INCASE case and it has kept it scratch free. Never put anything over the screen, but i did try one of those clear scratchproof screens once; but i didn't like all the little bubbles, which I could never get them all out; so I removed it. Neverless, my screen is still nice and pristine and very responsive to touch. If you had told me that in 2007 i would still be using the same iPod; I would not have believed you. This is a testament to Apple's fine quality control. David
‹ Previous 1 Next ›