52 of 53 people found the following review helpful
Great watch for the money,
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Casio Men's AQS800WD-1EV Slim Solar Multi-Function Analog-Digital Watch (Watch)
I have had this watch for about a month. It is an incredible value at the price, with a great feature set. I only give it four stars because the band is so stiff that it is a little uncomfortable. Also, it's not obvious, but the body of the watch is plastic, even though it looks like stainless steel. It took me over a month to realize that it was not stainless steel.
The features include:
* Analog/digital display with hour and minute hands, but no second hand.
* Light-powered. It's a little bit of an exaggeration for Casio to say that the watch never needs batteries. The watch has a rechargeable battery that is charged by light. However, the rechargeable battery should last a good long time, so that you don't have to change the battery every two or three years.
* Digital display can be lit with the light button.
* Luminescent hands. They will glow for several hours after a good charge. I can read the time in the dark for at least seven hours after a good charge from a bright light.
* Time zone aware. When you set up the watch, you choose your time zone and whether daylight saving time is in effect or not. The watch can then calculate the current UTC time. You can then switch to any other time zone and the time changes automatically.
* Dual time zones. You set the home time zone and an alternate time zone. You can display the time in the alternate time zone in the digital display. If you are traveling, you can switch the alternate and home time zones, then switch back when you return home. Choose from among 48 cities in 31 time zones.
* The analog and digital displays are synchronized. When you change the digital time, the hands move to match the new time.
* The position of the hands relative to the digital time can be tweaked if they do not match exactly.
* Power-saving modes that save battery power. Most notable is that the digital display shuts down if it is dark for more than about 70 minutes between the hours of 11 pm and 6 am. The display comes back on when light is detected or a button is pressed.
* Five alarms.
* Optional hourly chime.
* Two countdown timers.
* Four main options for the digital display: (1) month, date, and seconds, (2) day, day of week, and seconds, (3) hour, minute, and seconds, (4) hour and minute in alternate time zone.
* Light-powered. Probably won't need a new rechargeable battery during its useful life.
* Both lighted display and luminescent hands for operation in the dark.
* Alternate time zone support -- great for traveling to other time zones.
* Can display month, day, and day of week, seconds, or time in alternate time zone in the digital display (but not all at the same time).
* Synchronized digital display and hands.
* Alarm, stopwatch, and timer features.
* Stainless steel band is very stiff. I had to remove four links because my wrist is pretty skinny. With the links removed, the band does not do a good job of fitting my wrist. It just barely works for me.
* Body is plastic, not stainless steel as it appears. The bezel is plastic.
* The digital display will not show the day of the month and the day of week at the same time. Apparently, because there is no second hand, the designers decided that all the time display modes (except alternate time zone) must include the seconds. You can get both pieces of information, but not at the same time. I would happily give up the seconds to get the day of the month and the day of the week on the same display, but that is not an option.