5.0 out of 5 stars Finally bit the bullet on a HDTV., April 2, 2012
This review is from: LG 50PA6500 50-inch 1080p 600 Hz Plasma HDTV (2012 Model) (Electronics)
Like others, when it comes to buying electronics, paralysis by analysis sets in. My living room continued to have the good old dependable 27" tube, but I have been lusting to replace it with a flat screen for some years now. For whatever reasons, I never would pull the trigger. Initially, I was sure that I would get a LCD when the time came, as the plasmas would always look dull and lifeless on display. Along with the horror stories everywhere about 1st generation plasmas with the burn-in and such.

However, over time I couldn't help but notice that plasmas were significantly cheaper than LCDs for the same features set. So with price being the motivator, I sought to prove or disprove the myths of plasma TVs. As expected, I found some LCD vs. Plasma flame wars amongst the fanboys. But digging deeper, I found plenty of what seemed to be fairly non-partisan praises of plasma TVs. That the problems of early plasmas were long gone.

I visited a hhgregg and this model's picture was amongst the best on display. I took note of the model number and price and set off to do some more "paralysis/analysis" research. I soon found out that it was a 2012 release and there was very little information available. However, the store's price was lower than the consensus price online even with the sales tax added (The price then, 3-9-12, was 10% lower than the price in hhgregg's 4-1-12 circular). I checked on previous LG models and did not see any red flags, so I finally bit the bullet and got it.

Set it up and was only mildly impressed with the picture, as it was somewhat dull. Went to the picture set up menu and changed from the default "energy saving" mode to standard and voila the nice picture I was expecting. I do not have HD cable but get HD over-the-air with the [...], again with a great picture. This model says it has some kind of feature that adjusts the picture depending on the lighting in the room. Well, I guess it works because the room this TV is in varies from dark to bright and the picture is always wonderful. So far, everything is set to the factory settings except energy saving and I do not see any reason to change anything. It might be that I do not have videophile credentials as I might not know "black levels" from a black bear, but to my eyes the picture is great.

The remote and on screen menu are well laid out and intuitive. I have yet to go to the manual to figure out anything.
*********************************************************************

11-6-2012
I've just came back from visiting a friend that has a Samsung UN60ES7100 60-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Slim LED HDTV (Black). While having more features and physically prettier, the picture on the LG is definitely better. However, the source may have made a difference, his Dish vs. my DirecTv. Also, I went through the long process of calibrating the TV according to the poster here. I was skeptical of whether it would make a difference, but it actually made a great picture greater.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 14, 2012 7:28:02 PM PDT
JB says:
I saw one of these on display at BB and the picture was grannie and dark - to be honest, just terrible. Though I won't be getting this model (I have a LG 60PM9700 on its way), I'll be getting a LG plasma nevertheless so I'm a little nervous. 2011 LG plasma models got good marks for colors bad trailed Samsung and Panasonic for blacks but LG say their 2012 plasma models will have blacks that are 35-40% darker so I took a chance. So hopefully it was because BB was using the default energy saving mode.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2012 9:08:17 PM PDT
mjaytee says:
99% of the time when I was checking out flat screens I got the same impression when it came to plasmas in general and never thought I would be getting a plasma. I would even say that this particular hhgregg may have been the first time I have seen plasmas on par with the LCDs picture wise. I'm fairly confident you will be satisfied with the LG.

Posted on May 30, 2012 8:02:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 30, 2012 8:07:07 AM PDT
Dorth says:

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 6:08:59 PM PDT
G. T. Hayden says:
excellent review.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 1:52:07 PM PDT
B. Healy says:
never trust an in store demo.
my local HH G had this set on display but the signal was split so many times and the settings were all out of whack. if you don't trust reviews you read, than ask for the remote, take the device OUT of DEMO mode. Even better, bring a USB stick of demo video and photos. Most sets have a port for USB anyway. You can bring a test pattern, get the levels the way you like, and then put it through its paces.

I found this was a "Best Buy" on consumer reports dot org and now i know why. speakers stink but most TV speakers do. who has a killer tv with no sound system, anyway? This TV saves you enough money to get the very best !

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 8:22:12 AM PDT
Dea Dea says:
thanks for a review that was funny as well as informative, in language everyone can understand.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 7:55:25 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 3, 2012 8:20:31 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 2:16:45 PM PST
Good review, and the only thing I'd question is your comment about plasma HDTVs being "dull and lifeless on display." I never noticed that, although you have to take the display pics at any big box store with a grain of salt. From my personal experience, I think that (general rule here) the plasmas, if anything, give a better picture. And especially on the fast motion (sports, action movies) stuff, which I'm guessing has to do with the 600 Hz. But as product technology changes, that may change as well. All the nice HDTVs give some great pictures, certainly head and shoulders above our old tube sets.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2013 7:17:12 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 17, 2013 7:17:27 PM PDT
Dana says:
@S.A.F., 600Hz sounds good, but it's not true 600Hz refresh. It's sub-field interpolation, so most of the frames are actually duplicated.

It's effective, but not exactly what they claim!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›