Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring and captivating, May 28, 2006
When I was a child, people clapped at the end of movies -- we knew that the filmmakers wouldn't actually hear us, but we showed our appreciation nonetheless. Over the years, it seems that tradition has died out. I don't think I've heard anyone clap at the end of a movie for twenty-odd years. Until, that is, this afternoon.

The entire audience clapped at the end of "An Inconvenient Truth".

It is all too rare to see people act out of idealism and ethics. Those qualities shine throughout this film -- Al Gore has noticed a problem -- a BIG problem -- and he has learned about it, and is trying to solve it. The "news" media gives us little 15-second soundbites instead of news and arguments, believing that we, the American public, are too stupid to comprehend any non-trivial ideas. Gore, on the other hand, clearly has faith in us to UNDERSTAND, to do the right thing, and, above all, to CARE.

See it.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 31-40 of 46 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2007 11:07:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2007 11:41:38 PM PDT
QUOTING MICHAELJOHN--"Many climate scientists believe that global warming is being caused by the burning of fossil fuels, while a minority of equally honest and intelligent climate scientists dispute these claims. Unfortunately you don't hear their views in this movie."

Neither, the filmmakers of An Inconvenient Truth, nor Al Gore, have to give equal time to a bunch of neo-conservative propagandists or anyone else you viciously allege to have facts against the existence of Global Warming threats to humankind.

Al Gore does not have to advertise the propaganda of the neo-right wing. It's his film, not theirs! He can form his presentation without the help of the neo-right.

QUOTING MICHAELJOHN--"That's a very good reason for all viewers to be skeptical about all the so called FACTS in this politically biased documentary."

If anyone is a skeptic, it's not the neo-right in wanting everyone to believe either George W. Bush, God, or especially Nature will somehow let the human race out of its responsibilities--a belief the neo-right only incurs through False Optimism.

The only thing the neo-right has to be skeptical about is any impedance to its ruthless greed.

----------------------------------------

And, although it is Al Gore's film, and despite MichaelJohn who asserts that "you don't hear their [those disputing the film's claims] views in this movie," Al Gore does mention the prevailing arguments of the "so-called skeptics."

I use quotes around "so-called skeptics" because it's an exact quote from Al Gore in the film. He uses these words in reference to the people who consider themselves to be skeptics about the facts of Global Warming:

"Number one, the so-called skeptics will sometimes say, 'Oh, this whole thing, this is a cyclical phenomenon. There was a medieval warming period after all.' Well, yeah, there was. There it is, right there." Al Gore then points at the presentation slide, a graph entitled Northern Hemisphere Temperature.

"There are two others." He points again. "But compared to what's going on now, there's just no comparison." The camera then zooms in on the section of the graph representing approximately the last 60 years. It's a clear indication of an abnormal rise in temperature and that the temperatures are higher than at any point in the last 1000 years.

(See chapter 8 of the DVD An Inconvenient Truth.)

I'm awfully glad you've given me a chance to quote the film's star the "so-called skeptics" have been slandering, especially since they rarely talk about the film itself--a fact leading me to think the ditto-heads forming the bulk of the "so-called skeptics" never watched the film.

I can tell by their "arguments."

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2007 12:35:03 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2007 1:42:47 AM PDT
QUOTING JOE--"Humans did a very good job correcting the global cooling problem back in the 70's & 80's so I'm sure we'll find a solution to global warming. In the meantime, relax, have a cigar...and soak up some sunshine. You're attitude will definitely improve."

Yeah. Go to the Bahamas. Soak up some sun rays. Get drunk.

It's the very thing the neo-conservatives would like for me to do, not to mention telling me how to act when it suits them easily.

I have a message for Joe: F. U., you chicken-feathered anti-American! By the time his favorite neo-conservative plan goes into effect, I'd be dead of old age. Or, dead from Global Warming. And, even then, I think Joe would be too stupid to figure out how to do anything, supposing that Joe would outlast me which I sincerely doubt.

"Global cooling problem?" What planet is Joe on? What drugs? Maybe he needs psychiatric drugs.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2007 7:48:34 PM PDT
Art,
Your language is showing your very young age.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2007 11:29:37 AM PDT
QUOTING JOE--"Your language is showing your very young age."

Maybe so, but you don't see me going around saying we should let a supreme being clean up after every problem we cause. Such a thought is the rantings of idiots. It won't happen. If you think it will, then you're dreaming.

But, I'm sure you feel fine turning Global Warming into a conversation about my youth, a subject which has absolutely nothing to do with anything other than the normal neo-conservative propagandist muck of irrational thinking.

So, yes, let's you and I turn a review of a film about Global Warming into a conversation about each other. It's a way of showing the color of our feathers here: cluck, cluck!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2007 4:33:17 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2007 9:38:05 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 9, 2007 10:04:53 PM PDT
QUOTE--"Oh yes, Art, the supreme being certainly is going to clean up after us. His name is Al Gore and I just pray that he will save us soon from all of our misdeeds."

You know Joe, the thing Al Gore reminds me of, the most, is about the future we've screwed up and what we've missed in electing another neo-conservative, in this case George W. Bush, a guy who has absolutely no consideration for making any strokes above himself.

Neither do you.

You complain about Gore and smear the American interest in acting on the issue of Global Warming, then point the finger at Al Gore. And, where are you? What have you accomplished? Through your help, you will reverse the expedience of how our country functions and addresses problems.

The laughable thing is the way your neo-conservatives pretend to be centrally located among Americans when you're nothing of the kind.

Your neo-conservatives are involved in supporting the special interest groups, a fact that has always run against the meaning of American Independence--that the country's government is for the people and of the people, instead of for a special interest and of the special interest--in order to maintain the status quo and forget progress on the level of the individual, unless that individual equates to a neo-conservative forgetting all the other individuals! You've been selling crap.

"His name" isn't Al Gore. He's just in front. Some Americans think it's the function of their government, and so does the rest of the democratic world. Americans want this change, even though your neo-conservatives deny it. If Americans don't want it, then America isn't a democracy.

But, you wouldn't guess that Americans should worry about things higher and nobler than themselves, as it's too idealistic and too academic for your scruples.

Go figure, when someone actually wants to move a people to make a difference in a way that helps everyone, your neo-conservative ilk have always become more behaviorally aggressive at the man who spoke rather than policy.

There's only one way to govern: with consideration to all the people, regardless of their social status. And, you haven't fooled me into thinking anything else. I wouldn't spend a single penny on supporting your neo-conservative interests, because it would be sucked into their vacuum rather than supporting our collective community.

So, there's my admission to my own conservative belief--meaning how I control my pennies--but conservation has never been the agenda of your neo-conservatism. It's been nothing more than a fiction in optimism. I don't think you'd know the difference between a policy that works from one that didn't if it hit you over the head. Actually, you'd be more inclined to accept one where everyone stayed put, that did absolutely nothing, so long as your representatives told you "we're making great progress," even though that progress is limited to the neo-conservatives you trust for making you feel better about doing nothing.

You've got nothing on Al Gore; he's out of your league.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2007 4:24:56 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 25, 2007 4:26:10 AM PDT
Hey, Joe,

NOBEL PEACE PRIZE 2007 NOMINATION:

AL GORE.

FOR HIS WORK ADDRESSING GLOBAL WARMING INCLUDING "AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH."

It's true. Read it and weep, you dog.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2007 9:03:58 PM PDT
Art,
At least your posts have no shortage of humor!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2007 6:50:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 27, 2007 6:50:48 PM PDT
It takes a sense of humor to listen to neo-conservatism, don't you know.

Review Details