2,777 of 2,978 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Kindle editing - AARRRGGGHHHH!, April 13, 2011
This review is from: A Game of Thrones: A Song of Ice and Fire: Book One (Kindle Edition)
NB: THIS REVIEW REFERS TO THE KINDLE EDITION ALONE! This is a great book, and I've eaten up the series and have been on tenterhooks for George RR to get his finger out and publish A Dance with Dragons for YEARS now. (And the tv series!! Be still my beating heart!!!) But I have to comment on the extremely bad editing of the Kindle edition of A Game of Thrones. It is sloppy and unprofessional. When I first got my kindle, I never experienced this, but now it seems like every book gets worse and worse. I thought Sacajawea was bad, but A Game of Thrones starts out with poor editing and gets progressively more appalling as you get further into the book. People who only read the kindle edition will think that Princess Elia comes from Dome, since that is how it is (almost) consistently spelled throughout the book. (It's Dorne). But on the other hand, the `tom cat' is a `torn cat'- go figure. Little things like that at first, but now, in the last third of the book, the mistakes are coming on nearly every page. Random parentheses, inappropriately capitalized words, italics that make no sense, sentences that end abruptly - that kind of thing. It would be irritating, but something I would just accept in a free edition of a book (maybe). But for a Kindle book that costs more than the paperback, I expect more. I also own a hard copy of this book, and none of these typos are in that edition. I'm not sure how the Kindle editions are made, but I expect the same kind of professional editing that you get in print books. You don't get that here, disappointingly.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 13 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 174 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 13, 2011 10:57:41 PM PDT
I totally agree! I read this as paperback first and again on my kindle... it was bad, as are many Kindle books (in regards to the editing) something needs to be done.

Posted on Apr 14, 2011 6:53:21 AM PDT
Thanks for the heads up! I saw this for sale as a paperback and was about to buy the Kindle edition; you just saved me from a lot of annoyance and frustration!

Posted on Apr 15, 2011 10:18:07 AM PDT
I have not read the Kindle edition, but apparently the problem with this book is when the letters "r" and "n" are side by side in the original word and are changed to an "m" (Dome for Dorne, tom cat for torn cat). Have you tried to change the type size and see if the typos are still there? I think the problem may be not with this particular book but with the Kindle itself.

Posted on Apr 16, 2011 3:55:33 PM PDT
R. Weinfeld says:
Thank you for the warning.

Would you please report this to the publisher who may not be aware of these errors.

I have Kindle books which were re-edited to correct errors. Amazon notified me and offered me the corrected version. This has happened at least 3 times.

It seems these are very popular books and the publisher should get it "right."

Special thanks if you make the effort to report this!

Posted on Apr 18, 2011 7:24:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 21, 2011 6:02:26 AM PDT
Kokopelli says:
Oh dear, oh dear. I've just purchased the Kindle edition and wish I had read your review first. I adore my Kindle but, as a past and sometimes-still editor, abhor typos, misspellings, bad grammar, etc. I do think another commenter may be right in his suggestion regarding the r and n being substituted for m. And I hope the author will contact the publisher and improve the editing and then notify all of us who purchased the Kindle edition.

Thanks for the review and for both of those helpful comments!

P.S. I am now reading the Kindle version and haven't found a single typo, misspelling, or grammatical flub. Maybe it has been re-edited. For those of you considering whether to buy it on Kindle, I would say go ahead!

Posted on Apr 19, 2011 4:46:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 19, 2011 4:48:08 AM PDT
From Miami says:
I was just about to buy the Kindle edition, after all it IS half the price of the paperback edition, also there's the convenience of reading on my cell phone (Kindle for Android) at any time. However, after reading about all the posts about misspelling, I will purchase the original hardcover edition. Thank you for the warning.

Posted on Apr 20, 2011 6:33:50 AM PDT
Reading it on the Kindle now and have no problems whatsoever.

Posted on Apr 21, 2011 8:31:55 PM PDT
G. Prout says:
i have noticed a few typos with my kindle in other books (I didnt buy GOT on kindle as i already have it in paperback and hardcover) but I would like to mention that the poster of this comment lives in Copenhagen so its possible the problems with his kindle edition might be due to mistranslations. Just a thought

Im not saying kindle is perfect, but i have yet to see any ebooks on mine that were "chock full of errors and typos"

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2011 10:18:54 PM PDT
Kokopelli says:
G. Prout,

Excellent comment re possible errors on Kindle in a translation from English. That opens up a whole new vista for errors. If the Copenhagen reader was reading a translation, it would probably have been a good idea to mention that. However, his English (in the comment) seems perfectly Americanized, so he's either a native English speaker or a very accomplished American English speaker.

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 4:45:37 PM PDT
Thanks--I've also noticed that the paperback can be purchased in stores for three dollars less!!! Why buy the Kindle copy?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (6,216 customer reviews)
 (4,523)