Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars What's included (more than you pay for!) -- Update -- Killer customer service, too!, July 29, 2014
This review is from: nabi Square HD Camera (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
My roommates and I have always wanted to have an action camcorder to play with, so when the deal came about on Woot I took the risk on the Nabi. There wasn't too much information out there before, though after that sale you can find plenty of reviews.

What I wondered most before buying was what came in the box...there's quite a bit:

--Nabi Square HD Camera
Essentially, cheap GoPro (for kids...sorta). The specs are on par with some GoPros. I think the GoPro has a more advanced lens; this one is sort of fish-eyed to give a massively wide angle for pictures. It's not as dramatic for video, but still good. There is a "VOX" mode that will start recording if the mic pics up more than 68dB of sound when turned on. There's a small LED screen on the top to give basic information. There's even a little rubber lens cap. The camera body is the same size as all but the newest GoPro, millimeter for millimeter.
--TFT Display
This is sort of interesting...essentially, the back of the camera, with the display and back buttons, comes off. You can use the camera without it, if, for some reason, you wanted to. I'm not sure why it was designed this way; there's really no functionality behind it. You can't access the battery compartment with the TFT screen attached. The display can be used to review pics and videos, delete them, alter settings, etc. Very similar to my digital camera, though a bit less intuitive and more basic.
--Remote
The remote has buttons to start recording, stop recording, and take a picture. The camera is capable of a standby mode (which is useful, since you can't turn it off in the waterproof case), and using the remote will wake it. There's also a holster that you can use to clip the remote to something, and some velcro stickers if you want to stick it to something.
--Waterproof case
Tried it out, works no problems. Nearly identical to the GoPro version. Has a standard tripod mount, hole for a strap to attach to, buttons for video and photo. Mine has taken a few smaller drops without issue.
--Variety of mounts.
The camera and waterproof case have standard camera tripod screw-in mount spots on the bottoms, with small holes around them to lock the angle in place. Included mounting accessories:
--A sort of seat for the bare camera with a tripod mounting screw and the standard GoPro mounting mechanism on the bottom. This particular accessory doesn't seem useful to me.
--A bare bones tripod mounting screw attached to the standard GoPro mounting mechanism. You could use this for the bare camera or the waterproof case; thus, not sure the point of the seat-like mount for the bare camera.
--A clip that will attach to the GoPro mounting mechanism, and then into the sticky mounts included.
--Four sticky mounts; two gently curved for a helmet or boat or something, two perfectly flat for a board and whatnot.
--Two GoPro mounting mechanism bolts. One has a device to secure the clips that go into the sticky mounts, one has a small leash to secure it to anything else.
--A handful of spare parts. Tripod mount bolt, o-ring, sticky mount replacement sticky.
--Charging cable, AV cable, USB transfer cable.
--Battery.
--4GB micro-SD card (full-SD card adapter isn't included).
--Carry pouch
This is very basic...it's a totally flat, maybe 6" wide and 10" tall, canvas like material. It has a front and back pocket with a velcro closure on top. It doesn't really seem like it's made for this product, just a generic cheap bag they found to throw in. I've used it for the camera with the waterproof case on it, and you can tuck the remote and probably a mount or two in the front pocket or around it. It's something, I suppose.

As you can see, you get quite a good set for your dollar, even if you didn't catch the stellar deal on Woot. All of this comes in a rather fancy packaging that is sure to keep you busy for a solid 20 minutes opening.

Here are my thoughts so far, from my experiments:

I like the all-inclusive feel. I did buy a GoPro arm (around $20), 32GB micro-SD card (also around $20; I believe 32GB is the biggest the camera will use), and a simple flotation device (about $5) to complement what's included, and I feel like I have everything I'll personally need.

The included 4GB card can hold around 30 minutes of video on the highest definition, from my one experiment filling it up. The video looked great; I mounted the camera to the pole and aimed it towards our volleyball court. Got some cool shots. The color was good, light was good. Sound isn't great, but I had the waterproof case on (I imagine I'll leave it on most of the time and not worry about sound? The sound quality is OK w/o the case on).

The battery seems ok. I've run it dry twice now. I'd say it took around 45 minutes of video, a few dozen pictures, me looking through the menus and previewing photos/videos for quite a while, and a few nights of standby mode to kill it the first time. The second go around I took maybe 3 minutes of video at one event and took quite a bit of video and photos during a 3-hour hike; it died right after a couple more pictures at the top, in the cold. I'm not sure how this compares to a GoPro or other brands. I was pretty disappointed that it died in the middle of my hike.

Pictures are super wide-angle, bigger than what you see on the TFT display; you can take a "selfie" with a friend with the camera about 6" in front of your faces. It is a "fish-eye" lens though; the image will sort of look spread-out on the edges. Originally it seemed like many of my photos were sort of washed out, that too much light was being captured, but once you bring them onto your computer and see them full size it tends to be pretty good lighting. You aren't getting professional quality photo or video, but I think most people will be pretty happy.

Unfortunately, action pictures are more or less out of the question. There's a long delay between photo button press and the photo being taken. I took pictures of a stopwatch using continuous shot mode and found that pictures take almost exactly 2 seconds. Different SD cards didn't improve this time. The triple shot feature takes pictures 0.75 seconds apart, but the Nabi overall simply doesn't take fast pictures. Nearly any movement in the picture is blurred (I can't even get a decent shot of a campfire). This was a major bummer for me.

I'm glad the camera has a standby mode, since you can't get to the power switch with the waterproof case on (only the photo and record buttons are available). Note on using this feature: pressing any button will first wake the camera, and only then can you take photo or video...in other words, you can't just click the photo button on the remote when the camera is in standby and have it take a picture once it's awake. I did notice I could just hold the record button down and it would start recording if I was still holding once it was awake.

Small note of good news: videos produced are in .mov format, and you can easily use GoPro Studio, which is free, to make some pretty cool edited videos. Lots of great ways to clean up your shots, adjust speed (the Nabi does have a 60fps 720p mode to make slow-mo significantly better), etc. I am having an issue with getting the native audio of the video in the edits (this is apparently common even for GoPro users), but as I mentioned, I'm not going to use the audio too often.

Overall, I'm quite satisfied. Typically I believe in getting what you pay for, but with all the accessories and rather good (though perhaps not exceptional) quality of the camera itself, I think the Nabi breaks that rule. 5-stars for an exceptional product for the price.

Update (June 8, 2015): I broke the hinge-to-1/4" camera standard screw adapter, and have been contacting nabi about getting a replacement. So far, very punctual and helpful. I'm pleased. Will update with the results.

Update (June 9, 2015): Nabi easily has some of the best customer service I've dealt with. An email resulted in a phone call to tell me that they had found the replacement part and they needed my address to ship it to me (no charge whatsoever!). Just to thicken the icing on the cake, the service rep (Tyler V.) also threw in some other mounts, based on what I said I use the Square HD for in my email. Would add a star to my rating if I could.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 8, 2014 3:27:17 AM PDT
Thank you for your in-depth review! And guess what? This deal is back on Woot again!

I have a question though. I would like to use the camera for stop-motion shots. How good is the shutter delay to snapping a picture?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2014 10:01:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 8, 2014 10:02:09 AM PDT
snocyclist says:
I noticed that, I may need to let my friends know about it!

There's a bit more detail in my review, but picture taking is slow (maybe a full second or two between button press and final picture). There are some modes that I believe allow a picture to be taken at set intervals, though. After reading your comment I pulled out my Nabi to do some better tests with those features and the speed, but alas, leaving it in standby mode for a couple nights had finally killed the battery! I'll update my post once it's charged and I'm able to try it out.

Posted on Jul 20, 2015 11:25:54 PM PDT
Bogart says:
I have also a problem with these hinge. I kept looking where I can buy them (eBay, Amazon, etc.) at no avail. I even went to their site if they sell those but they only had the mounts. I couldn't use my waterproof case because of it. I might have to contact also their CS.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2015 12:13:27 AM PDT
snocyclist says:
You should definitely contact customer service, as they will take very good care of you.

However, if you prefer to buy it on your own, you can find it. Check out the link below, or search on Amazon for "Rec-mounts Conversion Adapter Gopro--camera Screw(1/4) (S Type) [Gp-cn-s]for Wearable Camera." You should also be able to find plenty of alternative similar options under the "frequently bought together" or "customers who bought this item also bought" sections on the product page.

Hope it helps.

Posted on Feb 19, 2016 6:34:12 AM PST
The Eldritch says:
I really slammed them for the lack of support. Hope I was not mistaken. How did you contact them by email? Trying to get through on the phone is impossible.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2016 4:10:39 PM PST
snocyclist says:
If I'm remembering right, I originally contacted them via their Facebook page! I'm surprised their phone service isn't equally spectacular. Never received better CS.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›