Automotive Holiday Deals Books Holiday Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her May The Best Garden Be Yours Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Entertainment Collectibles Outdoor Deals on BGG

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Like Being 8-Years-Old All Over Again, October 5, 2009
This review is from: Ultraman: The Complete Series (DVD)
First things first...I've seen some of the audio comments (English dubbing intercut with Japanese subtitles) made for this release and the one back in 2006. Think of your favorite syndicated show. You know having watched the original that some scenes get cut in syndication. Now, think of Ultraman in that same vein, only it was already in "syndication" when it reached our shores way back. So, when the complete, original episodes are released on DVD, they include original, Japanese-only scenes which WERE NEVER DUBBED IN ENGLISH. However, to be a complete episode, they are still inlcuded.

Now, on with the review. After occasionally catching a Power Ranger show a few years back, I knew that I would need to steer my young son clear of this influence (the kids are always fighting and sarcastic with each other.) Anyway, my comment in seeing the "power" rangers would be, "Ultraman could defeat these guys." My boy became curious as to who I was talking about, and when the Ultraman DVDs were released back in 2006, I was able to show him.

Talk about the memories that this show rekindles. The first time the show's theme song began to play, I got chills. I was immediately taken back to my grandmother's house in rural Pennsylvania (we didn't get Ultraman in Texas in the '70s.) I watched a few episodes with my son and I could still recall some of the details in the story line that I hadn't seen for thirty years. Over time, I have managed to find Ultraman action figures that my son loves, and even a beta capsule that makes the familiar sound.

I bought this latest release because over the three years, nephews have managed to scratch the older DVDs. Now, each one will have their own set for Christmas (hard to beat at this price.)

If you remember Ultraman as he was, your memory will probably be stirred by this set. If you are new to the original Ultraman, you'll have to dial back your current expectation level of special effects and sound quality, but hopefully you will still be able to appreciate the presentation of how things were in the almost forty years ago.

I used this series to springboard my son's exposure to the Godzilla movies of the '60s and '70s. Enjoy.

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 6, 2009 5:49:43 PM PST
Your first paragraph is incorrect. I have VHS copies that have the English dub on the portions that the DVD release is substituting Japanese.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2009 6:10:17 PM PST
BCI and Mill Creek used material from Thai sources, and obviously did not have full access...if that bugs you, keep watching
the bootleg VHS copies, or pay big money for the Japan dvds that include English soundtracks. Overall, these DVD sets are still worthwhile, especially at these prices.

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 1:40:24 PM PST
R. Clancy says:
Missing Johnny Sokko? Have you checked Hulu lately?

Posted on Jun 7, 2010 2:47:01 PM PDT
D. Bragg says:
What part of Texas did you live in?!! Everyday, after grade school, in Houston, I watched Clutch Cargo, Speed Racer, followed by Ultraman! I haven't bought this DVD set yet, but I'm going to after I post this. And you are absolutely correct about the Power Rangers....good special effect, but incredibly bad story lines. Ultraman would totally kick their butts

Posted on Nov 30, 2010 8:20:14 PM PST
That is BS. Ultraman was virtually uncut. Only two episodes had minor cuts and that was only in some markets. Heck, the Washington DC station had aired both the cut AND uncut versions.
One of the episodes on these discs has NO English soundtrack at all!!
Gonna tell me they edited out the entire episode?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2010 9:34:48 AM PST
I agree, I live in Houston also. And during the 70's Ultra-man did come on. It was on channel 39. Clutch Cargo was aired earlier in the day and Speed racer, and Adam West's Batman show and Ultra-man aired in the afternoon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2011 3:51:32 PM PST
J. Munday says:
They were indeed cut shorter than the Japanese original episodes to insert more advertisements. I owned a bootleg set before this set came out which had the original english soundtrack and titles. There were no Japanese portions because it was the true US version which indeed IS cut. This set is not cut and has the Japanese audio portions because of this. Another series from the same time is Space Giants (Maguma Taishi). The US version of that show also had extensive cuts for the same reasons. Which episode are you referring to that is supposed to be all in Japanese? I own this set and no episodes are entirely in Japanese. Maybe you hit the wrong audio channel button?

Posted on Jan 24, 2012 5:50:08 PM PST
If you like Ultraman, you also might like Jonny Quest, Thunderbirds and Star Trek-the Animated Series.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2014 1:05:56 PM PDT
Scott Hill says:
Dude, I am from Texas and Speed Racer and Ultraman was great! I do not remember Clutch Cargo though. I will have to look that up. Remember when the paint at the end of the credits wound down spelling Ultraman in English? Does this version have that?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2014 2:58:19 PM PDT
Yes it does, it kinda reminds of of the twilight zone with the weird music and all. It's worth the purchase.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›