1,598 of 1,639 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Don't even waste your time, February 24, 2010
I bought this software Feb 18, almost as soon as it hit the stores. Believe me, it was the biggest disappointment ever. As a Quicken user of 12 years, this software is not recognizable. It's nothing but a budget tracker, with none of the advanced features of Quicken for Windows. Actually, this software is like Quicken for Windows, minus 90% of the functionality. Quicken Essentials is really just that, the bare bones basics. You cannot even set up your paycheck, cannot use online billpay, cannot use with TurboTax, and you cannot even download or manually enter individual stock transactions. And most shocking of all, you can't even back up your data!!!! Am I angry? You bet I am. Instead of Quicken Essentials, it should be called Quicken Kindergarten. The following is quoted directly from their setup guide. I wish they put this stuff on the box.

"As much as we improved the experience of using Quicken when we rebuilt it from the ground up, there are some features you may have been used to using in Quicken for Mac (or Quicken for Windows) that we didn't include in this version of Quicken Essentials.

Investments
Quicken Essentials lets you to track the overall value of your investment accounts and the value of specific holdings, but the software does not track individual buys and sells, nor will it provide some advanced investment performance reports.

Exporting to TurboTax
Quicken Essentials does not currently support the ability to export your data to TurboTax.

Direct bill pay
You can track your bills in Quicken Essentials, but the program doesn't have the direct bill pay capabilities that allow you to pay your bills directly from the program.

Other advanced features
Quicken Essentials does not include many of the advanced features in other versions of Quicken, including Business features, Rental Property, lifetime planner, cash flow forecast, spending plan, debt reduction plan, emergency tax records, tax planner, and home inventory manager."

If Quicken for Windows is worth a retail price of $60 to $70, then this new version of Quicken for the Mac is worth at most 5 bucks. Seriously, it does nothing more than downloads transactions and helps you track your spending or maintain a budget. I feel like a total fool for purchasing this product and will be returning it to Intuit. And to think I waited almost 3 years for this product. I was really expecting to be impressed. After Intuit's horrible experience with TurboTax last year, I really can't believe they have the temerity to unleash this worthless product on the market. I expect people at Intuit to get fired over this disaster, and deservedly so. This product looks like it was designed by an 8th grader in order to help a 3rd grader do his arithmetic. And did I mention the graphics? Oh, so elementary. That little pink pig next to my savings account makes me want to scream !!!!!!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 15 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 77 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 25, 2010 9:04:43 AM PST
Well, it is called "essentials" for a reason. I'm apparently one of the people that agree with the features that they think are essential. I don't care about dividend income on my investments, I don't use Turbo Tax (or any tax software), and I go to my bank's web site for bill pay. Admittedly I would like to see an integrated bill-pay feature - I'd probably start using it. I've also never printed a check in my life. I barely write one check a month and I can manage to do that by hand.

To those thinking about buying this just keep in mind their intended audience. Its not for business owners or people that use every feature of Quicken. But if you just want the bare essentials... then there you go.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2010 9:54:38 AM PST
Then it should cost $5, as this reviewer stated, not $70 and be billed as a replacement for Quicken '07.

I'm also really outraged at the lackluster effort Intuit has made on supporting desktop software for Mac. Yes, outraged - because I've wasted probably 100 hours trying to get their bug-filled, kludgy software to work. As soon as there's a reasonable alternative, I'm out of there. (Thinking IBank and Moneywell may be there soon.)

Posted on Feb 25, 2010 9:05:00 PM PST
Jerry I says:
Thanks so much for this review. I had a tremendous laugh, but it's FARRRRR from funny. They've taken too long to finally produce this, and now we find that it's garbage. Can't print checks??? You've got to be kidding me. That's why I originally got it back in the Windows 95 days.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 26, 2010 7:13:39 AM PST
I agree with Carrie and the OP that its over priced by at least half. If they dropped it down to $39 I think it would be easier for people to deal with. It would be more inline with MoneyWell and iBank, which have faults of their own.

I'm not so sure they're claiming its a replacement for Quicken '07 though. I'm pretty sure they're going to continue supporting that for a while. This is really an additional product.

I'm still shocked that people want the check printing feature so badly. I guess once you get in to a feature its hard to let it go. Are the checks printed for business or something?

Posted on Feb 26, 2010 3:21:16 PM PST
Kathryn says:
Hi all,
We know that this version of our Quicken for Mac Essentials software does not include some of the features of previous versions. But, we are always working to improve Quicken for Mac Essentials, and if you'd like to participate in that process, please join our Quicken Inner Circle (http://quicken.satmetrix.com/quicken/portal/home) and let us know what you'd like to see happen next. We want everyone to have a product they love to use!

Thanks,
Kathryn
Intuit Employee

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2010 3:29:18 AM PST
kpeex says:
"We want everyone to have a product they love to use!"

You could start by taking the functional aspects of Quicken 2007 Mac, fixing the bugs, and releasing a Cocoa version.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 1, 2010 10:13:41 AM PST
T. Wyrick says:
I hate to say it, but I'm not surprised. Intuit has horribly let down the Mac community, first with the declaration that they were no longer interested in producing a native Mac version of Quicken, and then eventually changing their mind, only after OS X users suffered through having to use a 2007 edition of the product as the "most current one" throughout 2008 and 2009. Now we're given this overpriced, under-powered "solution"!

I used Quicken 2007 until late last year, when I finally got fed up with the continual delays releasing a new product. I'm currently using iBank, which isn't too bad now that I've gotten used to it. But honestly, I can't whole-heartedly recommend it either, because it has some glitches that make me feel uneasy about it. (EG. On several occasions, I've accidentally entered a check register entry with a blank dollar amount, went back and tried to "edit" it, and found it refused to save my changes. Another time, I found it was basically ignoring an entry, causing my total to display with an incorrect amount until I deleted and re-entered the offending entry.) On top of that, iBank is kind of slow in adding new entries, despite running on a very fast Mac Pro. Still, it costs half of what Intuit wants for a less functional product!

Posted on Mar 7, 2010 8:19:48 AM PST
G Man says:
It is really disheartening to read the reviews of this product. I have been using iBank for a couple of years and unfortunately it has too many quirks and inconveniences. I really just want to go back to the version of Quicken I had on my first first Mac over a decade ago. I don't need a lot of bells and whistles, so "Essentials" is fine with me, but not at $70, and not for a program which sounds like it has as many problems as iBank. Sigh . . . .

Posted on Mar 17, 2010 6:39:40 AM PDT
Too bad I didn't see all of these comments prior to living the horror myself. Btw, for what it's worth (and it's probably not worth that much) you can Back Up your data. Look under the File menu. Intuit provided me a copy of Windows Quicken 2010 Premier (only way to convert my data from Quicken 2007 to QEM) and I've seriously considered using that instead of QEM.

Posted on Mar 17, 2010 2:27:16 PM PDT
I couldn't agree more. I've already returned my version under their 60 day refund policy, but save your shipping cost and forget this. For those of you Mac users familiar with Quicken on a PC, you'd be better served buying Parallels to run it in its PC version or perhaps the Mac 2007 edition (with which I'm not familiar).
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›