3.0 out of 5 stars Oh no....flipper discs!, April 3, 2008
This review is from: Gilligan's Island: The Complete Series Collection (DVD)
Normally I wouldn't pay this much money for an old TV series, especially one this silly. From a nostalgic point of view however this series is quite entertaining. It helps growing up with a crush on Ginger and Mary Ann. :-O

The audio may be mono but it sounds much better than the old transfers you heard on broadcast tv years ago.

The only negative so far is the flipper discs. You should be very carefull when handling. The only discs I've ever had go bad after a couple of years were flippers.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2008 2:33:39 PM PST
mariamaria says:
what is a flipper disc?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2008 1:40:04 AM PST
Just curious says:
A disc that is recorded on both sides. You flip it over to watch the other side.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2009 10:06:14 AM PST
A lot of people have grievances with double sided discs. Since I have been building my DVD library, I have had only one that acted up that I couldn't repair with my skip doctor and/or some cleaning fluid, and I was able to replace it and the 2 that came with it inexpensively. The interesting thing, the problem I had with that disc occurred on a single sided disc which went out of print soon after I bought it. Fortunately, I was able to replace it and the set it came with inexpensively as well in a used DVD store, and has worked ever since. My point is not all double sided discs are flawed, and not all flawed disc are of the double sided format.

Posted on May 23, 2010 7:34:24 AM PDT
Bobby Brady says:
Yep, flippers. I bought the single seasons, also flippers, and had skipping problems with some of the episodes. I wrote the nice folks at WB about it and they...didn't even lift a finger to get back with me. :( At least Paramount replaced my bad discs of Brady Bunch...after a year. Crazy, eh? I'd thought of picking up this set when it gets cheap just to get the ones that don't work perfect for me.

Otherwise, these are fantastic and completely repeatable for fans who grew up with it.

Posted on Aug 22, 2010 2:51:23 PM PDT
PR GUY says:
You shouldn't have a problem with a flipper disc. When you handle it, be sure you hold it by the edges and not the surface...just like we did with long playing record albums.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2011 1:45:22 PM PST
DrXenos says:
It has nothing to do with how people are handling them. The manufacturing process for creating flipper discs has a high failure rate (compared to single-sided discs). Between movies and TV series, I have thousands of discs. The ONLY ones to ever have problems were flippers. Flippers are basically made with the two sides glued together. This process creates a lot of flawed discs. Just read the reviews for a flipper (like the the Universal monster collections, especially Dracula).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2011 8:44:09 AM PST
PR GUY says:
Thank you. I will. Have you contacted Amazon with this concern? Maybe they can add this to the description of a DVD so buyers know that it is a "flipper".

In reply to an earlier post on May 30, 2011 3:00:15 PM PDT
SoylentGreen says:
That really bites...thanks for telling me....I will avoid this one.

Posted on Jun 21, 2011 5:46:19 AM PDT
Dare I ask if "Flipper" has been released in flipper discs? But seriously, most the 2-sideds I've bought are the B-movie sci-fi series which I can't imagine watching more than once or twice anyway.

Posted on Jan 24, 2012 8:23:40 AM PST
Dont worry that its a "flipper" I had all three seasons, and my children didn't take care of them. Left them laying around etc... When they finally broke that is when they didn't work, stepped on. I'm getting the whole batch at once, and no one is allowed to touch it. Don't listen to the reviews. I bought mine a coulpe month before Bobe Denver died, had them for years! Even laying around with disks on top they never faultered.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.7 out of 5 stars (1,214 customer reviews)

$114.82 $52.95