3.0 out of 5 stars Buzz Kill!, October 29, 2009
This review is from: Sony VAIO VPC-W121AX/P 10.1-Inch Pink Netbook - Up to 7 Hours of Battery Life (Windows 7 Starter) (Personal Computers)
Sony has made a big mistake in how they have represented this net book or mini Vaio. Sony evidently can't produce a netbook style computer with competitive battery life and ship it with the monster high capacity battery that is competitive and lasts 7 hours but ruins the sleek look of the computer. Even on Sony's Web site as well as Amazon's they present this laptop in every photo with a sleek profile and a small battery that they claim lasts 7 hours.

Big untruth. Or shall we cut to the chase and say that it is a lie and deceptive. The computer arrives with the large capacity battery which is the only one that can last 7 hours and the reason it is not pictured is because this darling mini vaio looks like it has a tumor growing from it. The profile is NOTHING like pictured in all the images on both the Sony and Amazon's site.

I do love the computer itself - it is amazing and unlike some netbooks it will run more than just surfing programs and has an awesome 250gb.

This put me in a conundrum as I love the pc but hate the battery and certainly didn't want to buy another $89 battery with only 2.5 hours capacity.

Amazon in all their greatness made this good for me and are sending me the real standard battery at no cost while allowing me to keep the tumor battery for the times I need the longer battery life. It doesn't make me real happy to only have a 2.5 battery life but for those times I want the sleekness it will be perfect.

Without Amazon and their high integrity, I would have sent this back and been pretty disappointed at my time being wasted.

Thank you Amazon. And Sony - this is really a regrettable sales practice - and actually not legal.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 26 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2009 5:44:30 PM PST
N. Gregoire says:
Let's say I don't mind the bulky battery. Would you have anything else negative to say? I'm considering getting this and the battery really doesn't bother me...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2009 6:02:26 PM PST
Thanks for the opportunity to comment now that I have had it for awhile. I actually love it! It would be nice if the battery weren't bulky but on every other note I am very happy. I own a desktop computer, a Vaio AW and this completes what I need very well in that I wanted something easy to throw in my purse, powerful enough to run dreamweaver and photoshop and the battery has an awesome life - went for several days and about 10 hours with the battery. So go ahead and get it!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2009 6:26:56 PM PST
N. Gregoire says:
Thanks!

Posted on Nov 21, 2009 3:33:58 PM PST
how did you manage to ask Amazon for a real standard battery at no cost..i would like to get this netbook if i can have both batteries...thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2009 5:32:36 PM PST
Well, it was an after the fact situation where the image in the item posted did not have the large battery in any of the images - thus I asked to have it as it was pictured since that was what I was purchasing. If you know ahead of time that this has the larger battery then they would not need to make things right - I am also a huge fan of Amazon and purchase almost everything I can from there -- Amazon is simply the best online store and it has always been that way. I trust them completely and thus am very loyal. I also use their Prime feature which gives me 2 day shipping for free and when I need it right away only $3.99 for overnight. I am a Web developer and it would be hard to do eCommerce any more perfectly than Amazon. By the way the smaller battery has still not become available from Sony and I have grown to not mind the larger one especially because sometimes I even get as much as 10 hours from it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2009 8:26:54 PM PST
Mr. Brandy says:
Well I find it great you posted this and I find it terrible that Amazon is posting a fake picture of it. That can be called fraud in some countries. They must ship what is pictured. I would it send it right back if they send me something that is not in the picture.

Posted on Dec 3, 2009 7:25:56 PM PST
Richard T. says:
I am leaning toward purchasing this model, and part of the reason is the shape and positioning of the extended life battery. It actually is appealing to me (and I did see a profile photo somewhere that resonated with me), because the Dell Mini 9 I've had for over a year is too flat; I like the angle that the larger battery establishes for keyboarding. And, a six-cell 7+ hour battery must be larger to provide that life, at least with today's technologies. This is not at all to disagree, but rather to suggest three considerations for other potential buyers: (1) different folks will find different things appealing or disappointing; (2) cause and effect -- we'd get seven hours BECAUSE it is a larger battery attached to a small frame; (3) the size and positioning of the battery has a functional value.

Posted on Dec 6, 2009 12:00:03 AM PST
I am seriously considering this netbook. I have read some reviews elsewhere that complain about the noise from the fan. Do you find the fan to be loud or annoying? I have an old small Sony Vaio laptop (T series) which I have loved, but I would like to get a new updated laptop. My present Sony Vaio is very quiet so I'm afraid I may be disappointed with a loud fan. What is your opinion of the fan noise? I would appreciate any input. Thanks in advance

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2009 8:34:49 AM PST
I think it may make a tiny bit of noise, it may not be as quiet as my AW but I can not really remember at all noticing the noise other than perhaps briefly. I suspect it wouldn't be a real point of consideration but if someone were really sensitive and picky it may be possible there is more noise.

I love this little creature but I wouldn't want to work on it full time due to its small size but for what I am using it for it is spectacular. I also do wonder if it is a high price for a netbook - in my case I needed the extra power and hard drive as I am a Web developer and photographer so I needed programs such as Dreamweaver and Photoshop to run on it and it does that just fine. But if I were just running business apps on it I would tend to move to the lower priced net books. I hope this helps. I do get a big smile on my face ever time I look at it and use it - I got it in the hot pink color and even though I am not a frilly girl and not a pink girl per se I do get a big kick and a lot of joy over the pink laptop with my darling, matching pink mouse!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2009 8:41:11 AM PST
I don't know if you have scoured the market for these net books but so many of them easily have 10 hours of battery time with small batteries and some even can be used as a touch screen. I have accepted the battery problem which for me was that Sony advertised the laptop with a small battery not the big one. And while it may be nice for when you have it on a desk - when you carry it around with you it adds girth to it and makes it less attractive to throw in a small bag. This extended part also makes it hard to get in and out of the neoprene case and may I mention a lot of laptops have little extenders on the back if you want them to rise or you can get a stand for your desk. I think just as people, what is attractive to one can be a fault to another so it is a good thing you find this to be a positive. And again - my issue that was crucial is that I don't like a company to bait and switch on me. Also Sony whilel posting the smaller battery for sale for months and it was sitting as a pre-order and Amazon and Sony actually allowed me to order it - has not re-negged and that battery is not even for sale. So one will have to live with the bigger battery no matter what so I hope Sony will take that incorrect photo off their sales material.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›