5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be fools, brothers..., November 23, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Pimp: The Story of My Life (Paperback)
I think this Iceberg Slim's writing debut alongside with his "Naked Soul of Iceberg Slim" are monument classics to the extreme. Iceberg Slim, all BS aside tells the bitter truth about the pimp life during the 40's and 50's in the Black concrete reservation called Harlem. It shows the candid realities of the ghetto life and about the struggles of a man, frustrated with the setbacks and oppressions of a prodominately white society and despairingly turns to pimping and drug pushing as a way out. Now, I must further comment to some of the youngbloods out there that read Iceberg is dead in his grave, but if he were alive today, and read some of the entries here, he would not be flattered but pissed, to put it bluntly. When 'Berg meant for people (particularly young African-American males to read "Pimp", he intended to give you insight on the pimp game in order for you to see just what a hellish life he really lead as a pimp. It was not meant as a rule book, but a discouragement from the game.Oh, sure, there was the easy money, the power over women, and the false sense of respect as you ride down the street in that Cadillac. But what about the other dangers, like having to look over your shoulders for the police, f--king up your mind with that powder (although today we have crack, even worse). And the women, when they get older and more resentful, they'll cross you and set you up one day, so you have to constantly make sure that they stay mostly ignorant of your weaknesses as not just a player, but a man. If Ice were alive, he would tell you that the pimp life ain't so f--king glamourous, but it's hell, that's why he later settled down with his wife and kid and turned straight. So, brothers, as a former player myself, I'm telling you, don't diss your sisters, talking about pimping, because it's not a beautiful lifestyle. You want money, you want girls to dig you? Get an education, Get a f--king job, save some money and get some f--cking business. Because I tell you bro's you might say it's the "White Man's Fault" we're in the shape were in, but in truth, we've got nobody to blame but our own nappy head selves. Yeah, we were bad, cool, and slick back then, but in reality, we were stupid as hell. We were only to steps from the County Jail and that's where you'll end up if you don't check your mind. Stay your a--es in school, and keep your f--king a--es out of jail. Or else, just be another profit to the man. That's what I have to say and I know Ice would agree. Peace! END

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 1, 2008 1:33:49 PM PDT
Tim Smith says:
First, the review gets some things wrong. This guy was no ghetto rat. He was a college dropout who went into pimping. He was also never in Harlem. He was from Wisconsin and moved to chicago.

The book does show the truth about pimping. And that truth is that a pimp is a bitch. They turn themselves out before they turn any women out. A man doesn't live off women. And a pimp doesn't have power over women, its the other way around. The game is about keeping them and keeping them is about playing to them (like a bitch) dressing for them (like a bitch) and doing everything for them. A pimp gives the women what the women give their tricks. Thats the real game.

And there is no respect in the game except from people who don't count. You will get respect from dumb kids who don't know better. You will get respect from guys who can't get women without paying. And we all know what the respect of a whore is worth. But who else is going to respect you? No real man will. You want money? Go out and take it. You want girls? You get them by being a man and having the money.

Posted on Mar 14, 2010 8:11:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 10:51:58 PM PST
TO: A Customer
RE: "...in the Black concrete reservation called Harlem."

Iceberg Slim operated on the South Side of Chicago. If he was ever in New York City or Harlem, he was there to visit.

RE: "Because I tell you bro's you might say it's the "White Man's Fault" we're in the shape were in, but in truth, we've got nobody to blame but our own nappy head selves."

Right on, brother! We have to stop thinking of ourselves as victims. So what if our ancestors were slaves? Slavery ended in 1865. That's 145 years ago. So GET OVER IT and get movin' on.

Look at the Jews. They came out of the Nazi death camps of Europe in 1945 and three years later, in 1948, the state of Israel was created. They certainly didn't sit around and whine and today they have all the manifestations of power, including nuclear weapons.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2010 1:04:55 PM PDT
Andre M. says:
To Walter R. Johnson and the anonymous reviewer, THANK YOU! THIS IS WHAT OUR YOUTHS NEED TO HEAR! GOD BLESS YOU BOTH!

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 3:57:37 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 10, 2012 4:40:55 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2013 3:11:17 AM PDT
Tammy WHITE says:
Yeah they came from money and was already an establish society. After the war they had reprarations. And they have money now to have thier stories told. We had none of that and still don't but our bodies.. We had to be more creative with what we had. And some of us were strong enough to beat the system in spite of our condition.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 9, 2013 8:17:16 AM PDT
TO: TM WHITE

RE: "Yeah they came from money and was already an establish society."

That is not true. The Jews who survived the Nazi concentration camps had nothing. It is true that, before Hitler's anti-Jewish measures, many of the Jews were quite affluent or even rich. However, by the time they were sent to the camps, all of their money and property had been taken by the SS. Consequently, those who survived came out of the camps with nothing.

While it is true that the Jews obtained reparations, this money was initially paid by the West German government to the Israeli government - not to individual Jews. However, since the reparations agreement was signed in 1952, the German government has paid out $89 billion in compensation mostly to Jewish victims of Nazi crimes over six decades.

Posted on Oct 20, 2013 11:55:05 PM PDT
I have noticed that all the old books and movies usually paint a picture of desparation and are re-made as glamorous stories. It makes me wonder if this is how glamorous stories were done in the context of the time and if things are just more "out there" now. For instance the first "gangsta rap" was a song called "I shot the police," which I have heard is still available as a rare copy of "I shot the sherrif" by Bob Marley. Nobody thinks about it as a gangster song today but there was a version that was in its time. And the people within the culture knew. I kind of wonder if these old books and movies were the same thing. If reading them now they seem to tell a sad story but in the context of the time they were shocking. Its hard for me to know since I didnt grow in the time but Im wondering what people have to say about this. I do know that I have older uncles in Jamaica who still gravitate to the idea of Bob Marley being a gangster in a way that would probalby surprise people in the rest of the world and that when I listen to that stuff it sounds tame to me. But at the time .........
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (256 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $5.25