3.0 out of 5 stars decent camera, needs firmware update for mac compatibility, June 23, 2011
This review is from: LOFTEK® Nexus 543 Outdoor Wireless/wired Waterproof Ip Camera 4mm Lens 36 Infrared Leds with Night Vision. Silver (Electronics)
When first trying to access this camera, I was presented with a 320x240 image and no buttons in the interface. "strange," I thought, "shouldn't I have some kind of control over the camera features that other people talk about?"

So instead of safari, I launched chrome. Same thing. Then firefox. Same thing. I cracked out User Agent Switcher in firefox and set it to be IE in windows 7. Presto! I had an interface, although most of the buttons were broken. Turns out they were doing some silly javascript OS sniffing, and dropping everyone in to the mobile device browser if they couldn't figure out what browser you were using.

Thinking something was amiss, I contacted the seller. They suggested I download internet explorer for the mac. IE for mac? that hasn't been published since 2003 and won't run on an intel machine. Laughable. When I pointed this out to them, they asked me to contact them off amazon, as it stripped attachments, and they would send me a new firmware.

So after a bit of email juggling, I get a new firmware file. Unfortunately, there is no way to upload it from a mac, so I booted up in my very old winXP that I keep handy and tried to install the "firmware" file they gave me. No good. Same problem when I rebooted into macOS. back to windows, and this time, I uploaded it in the " Upgrade Device Embeded Web UI " box. This actually worked when I rebooted back to snow leopard. I now have full control over almost all of the camera features, but I cannot display a timestamp on the image, that appears to be a windows only setting.

So, make sure you can get web UI version 0.0.4.18 from the vendor if you want to see this from a mac OS based browser. Also, be prepared to use a dual-boot system to load the proper web ui firmware.

Decent camera, decent images, I'll let people know if the weatherproofing doesn't hold up.

but good luck if you only have a mac and can't dual-boot into windows.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 9, 2011 6:22:36 AM PDT
How is this camera powered. I appreciate any help you can offer me in advance. I need to be able to have 2 camera's outside of my house and 1 camera inside. I want to be able to check on my house when I have workers there as they bill me when they never show up. I live in Florida and have a home in New York and are trying to figure out the best way to keep an eye on it.. Any suggestions

Posted on Jul 9, 2011 6:22:55 AM PDT

Posted on Aug 13, 2011 1:09:48 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 13, 2011 12:00:10 PM PDT
Ricky Dicky says:
They are working on MAC compatible software. You can buy EvoCam software for for $30, $20 if you are student and these cameras work awesome with this software. You will have to use "Foscam Network camer (1)" from the drop down box when setting up the network camera on EvoCam.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2011 11:03:19 AM PDT
I didn't buy this camera to use with third party software.

EvoCam is great, but my firm belief is that if a company markets its camera as "mac compatible" it had better be "mac compatible" out of the box.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2011 11:59:01 AM PDT
Ricky Dicky says:
I see your point, but technically it is "Mac compatible" b/c you can view the camera image on your browser on your Mac, you just can't record and manage the camera on your Mac w/o 3rd party software. So their advertising is a little bit misleading.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 13, 2011 11:54:48 PM PDT
Technically "mac compatible" would mean I could access all the features of the webcam that they advertise are "mac compatible", not just the ability to view a half-resolution image using wired ethernet with DHCP only, as one couldn't set up the wireless or static IP without being on a windows computer.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2011 7:19:04 PM PST
This product works fine with all my macs. Using Safari, I connect to one cams web interface, and it connects to other cameras on the network as well. Mail alerts, Recording, all alarms work. Bought these 2 weeks ago so the newer firmware as mentioned earlier must be installed. the ICP monitor software eis for PC's only, and is a dog software. the web browser actually allows more control and covers the same functions.

I also view fine on my iPad and iPhone, and am goignt o try the Droid ap that ships on the cd as well. No fret for Mac owners, as macs WORK with this cam.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2011 12:06:18 AM PST
I'm glad they now ship with the upgraded firmware

Posted on May 9, 2012 4:46:19 AM PDT
TheAxe says:
Couldn't do the initial setup on my Mac. The supplied CD includes a tool which doesn't seem to work. Now building a VM, to install Windows, to run the setup, to access the camera... :sigh:

In reply to an earlier post on May 9, 2012 11:50:08 AM PDT
Ricky Dicky says:
You are better off just using EvoCam. It has everything you need. I'm still running it and the cameras work great on my MAC. $20 for the software.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

Reviewer

Location: los angeles, ca, usa