2.0 out of 5 stars Its great for video, but..., April 10, 2012
This review is from: Swann Freestyle 1080p HD Waterproof Sports Video Camera (Electronics)
This camera is great for video but absolutely horrible for sound. It snaps, crackles and pops. Unless its sitting still in a room not moving. Having bought both this and a gopro hero2. I found this came with far more features as standard and a way better price, unless you want good quality sound. I exchanged my first one over the sound issue thinking it was just the one I had been sold. It wasn't. They all have terrible sound. But the video is fantastic, the screen is nice, the remote is awesome. Also, and you can research it just like I did, it has the same 5mp sensor as the first hd gopro does. One other thing, its not as rugged as the gopro. Its tough but outside of the water proof case, if it fell down a flight of stairs it would probably go to peices. But honestly for the price, sound wasn't that big of an issue as i'm recording seperate audio for my personal projects. But if sound is important to you may want to consider another hd mini cam. I give it 2 stars because I shouldn't have to find out a product is lacking a major feature through trial an error. The manufacturer should fix it or warn their customers.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 10, 2012 5:20:29 AM PDT
S. Douglas says:
The snap / crackle / pop noises might be:

- camera moving in the waterproof housing; (my friend with a GoPro told me his does this)
- battery rattling in camera body;
- both.

Last night I fitted my dog with the camera on her backpack - w/o the waterproof housing and got similar noise. I'm thinking the battery is clunking around in the camera - it seemed kinda loose in there when I was checking everything over before its first use. I'm going to try to secure it better before the next use to see if that cures the problem.

Posted on May 13, 2012 5:49:00 AM PDT
limbot says:
I have diagnosed the electronic noise down to the camera being "incompatible" with some SD cards. There's no rhyme or reason to what cards work. I know you shouldn't have to but try another card and once you find a "good" one the camera works well.

Posted on May 31, 2012 8:40:40 AM PDT
My battery fits very snug, the camera is also very snug inside the housing thanks to the rubber bumps on the door. The noise is from anything taping the housing, the mount moving, tapping on whatever the mount is, and is amplified by the housing. The GoPro has the same problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 12:57:41 PM PDT
Thank you for posting this. I just received one of these cams and haven't even opened the box yet. I decided to check reviews to see if anybody recomeended a good SD card before I purchased one.
Your conclusion actually makes sense because I've noticed that some SD cards emit a faint electrical squeal when there is information moving back and forth between it and it's host device. I don't know why this happens, but if I can hear it outside the device, then I'm not surprised that a microphone mounted inside the device might get overwhelmed by the sound when you consider how lound it must be when you take conduction into effect.

So it looks like the best approach is to just start tryinging cards and keep returning them until you find one that is truely silent.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (58 customer reviews)

$279.99 $149.95