4.0 out of 5 stars Great, In-Depth Information on Some Super Nutritious Foods, July 10, 2009
This review is from: Superfoods: The Food and Medicine of the Future (Paperback)
David Wolfe provides very detailed information about some specific "superfoods" and also provides scientific rationale (sometimes down to the molecular level) about why these foods are so beneficial for us. This book is very informative and I like that it also provides practical ways in which to consume the superfoods, providing recipes and recommended dosages. However, he also lists a lot of very "impractical" recipes using very obscure and expensive ingredients that most people will not find in their pantries, even if they are already a practicing raw-foodist (like me). While I find the information very enlightening, I also find a lot of blatant advertising for David's "Sunfood" brand of products and his "Longevity Now" program. I don't know about you, but when I find a sales pitch interwoven into the pages of what should be a purely informative book, it immediately causes me to have some doubts regarding the credibility of the material. So, while the information on superfoods is very good, I was not impressed with the advertising thrown in with it. Otherwise, I would have given it 5 stars.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 30, 2010 7:30:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 9, 2010 9:06:37 AM PST
Warren Green says:
Apparently David Wolfe considers Dr. Joseph Mercola a close friend, ( first 2010 Longevity Conference ) so he may be receiving lessons on maximizing profits from this man he praises as an "internet titan". A friend, who is a fairly big fan of David Wolfe, acknowledges that he does seem to have become more commercially motivated in recent years.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 11, 2011 9:45:21 PM PST
CC says:
Agree with your insight. Sad for both of them because they could have grown to be true cultural heroes if they didn't go for the $. Consumer Reports ShopSmart magazine just flagged Mercola this month (but I am also not happy with CR's blind acceptance of the medical establishment). Mercola and Wolfe both have a lot of valuable insights to help those of us trying to learn about good nutrition; CR just gives us ratings of fried chicken and every other form of junk food out there. Would be more acceptable if their pricing policies were in line with other mass merchandized items e.g. their CD and DVD sets.

Posted on Jan 24, 2011 5:07:04 PM PST
Thank you for your review...I find this trend very unsettling as well. I want INFORMATION, not a sales pitch for your products. If they would just put the info out there the sales will come to their products, they don't need to "sell" themselves. And Mercola, again he started with his info to get it out to people, then probably thought , hey I should just create my on products to sell instead of referring to other people's products...ok that makes sense...but then it became, the sole reason for his writings were to plug his products. And now he has more and more products, which seems to defeat the purpose of living simply and naturally...If you buy even a "small" portion of Mercola's products you would be subsisting on powders and pills and hardly any REAL food. And his stuff "ain't cheap!" Also I get turned off when someone puts out book after book after book of pretty much the same thing, Michael Pollan is one of those. That again gives me a bit of distrust, why so many books, do they not feel like the first or the others are convincing enough? Or they feel the need to jump on the latest band wagon?

It's a shame that so many well meaning folks get caught up in the commercialism and peddling their wares, that they forget where and why they started this journey and it begins to cloud their judgment.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2011 8:52:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 24, 2011 8:55:14 PM PST
CC says:
I am currently reading a book by Paul Pitchford that is helping tremendously in my understanding of "real" food. I bought it many years ago and wish I had the time then to get through it's 600+ pages. Seems to be valid scientific and practical advice; I don't think he's selling anything. The book is Healing with Whole Foods. I believe a new edition is available. His writing style exudes a deep reverence for life and nature; and he seems to be a kind and gentle spirit. Good luck to you in your quest.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2011 12:13:54 PM PST
leafyliz says:
CC thank you for the book recommendation. It sounds like a gem.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 8:16:32 AM PDT
Thank you so much!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2012 1:15:01 PM PDT
Valiant says:
i like this book a lot, he is a guru to me, and why cant he be free to sell his stuff? i have been a raw foodist for three years and its hard to get high quality supplies and having someone like david looking over the quality control makes me feel good.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 31, 2012 2:12:03 PM PDT
I'm sorry you disagree, but this was my review based on my opinion. Please write your own review if you feel otherwise. Thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2012 5:28:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 12, 2012 5:29:32 PM PDT
M. Nelson says:
I read an article about what it costs Dr. Mercola to keep his web site online. It was quite high which is not surprising considering the size of the information contained. He did not have the resources to continue without the selling of various items like he does.

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 7:35:40 AM PST
Nick says:
Its not that difficult people -- eat healthy food.
Vegetables.....fruit....chicken...fish..nuts.............. If you need someone to explain that to you thoroughly in a book then god help us all
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›