3.0 out of 5 stars WWE Armageddon 2008, December 14, 2008
This review is from: WWE: Armageddon 2008 (DVD)
This was one of those PPVs where half of it is good and the other half is very forgettable. There is plenty of entertainment to be found on this show, but when you add in all the bad aspects of it, it brings the rating down considerably. Lets just get right into it, matches are rated out of 5 stars (*****).

1. Non-title Match
ECW Champion Matt Hardy vs. Vladimir Kozlov

Poor opener, but at least they got this over with first. This wasn't as bad as it could have been, but this was no classic I assure you. WWE gave the finish of the match away by making this a non-title match, and they obviously wanted to put Kozlov over. Kozlov, in case you haven't noticed, is one of the most unimpressive workers currently in WWE. This match didn't exactly do wonders for the prestige of the ECW Championship. *1/4

2. Intercontinental Championship Tournament Finals
Rey Mysterio vs. CM Punk

I was unimpressed with Mysterio in this match as he seemed very sloppy, but all things considered this was a helluva match. Lots of great offense from Punk, and I was glad to see him go over. Very enjoyable match, and the stiff GTS to end the match that broke Mysterio's nose (or at least came close) was pretty awesome. ***1/2

We then got my goodness me a long promo from JBL and Shawn Michaels trying to explain this whole angle. Best part of the segment came when fans started a small "Joey Styles" chant, which I loved. This segment most definitely should have been on Raw, I am not a fan in the slightest of having these promos on PPV. The promo was alright but WWE obviously had time they needed to kill

3. Belfast Brawl
Mark Henry vs. Finlay (w/ hornswoggle)

Nothing but weapons shots and a whole lot of uninteresting action. This wasn't unwatchable and it was better than their previous encounters but this was not a good match. Very reminiscent of the terrible hardcore title matches from the late '90s and early 2000s. *1/4

4. Batista vs. Randy Orton

This was a disapointment as I was expecting a lot more from this one. This match really dragged in the early stages and Batista seemed quite lacking, but it picked up quite a bit at the end when both men started hitting all their moves. At the end of the day this turned into a good match but it could have and should have (in my opinion) been much better. **3/4

5. 8-Diva Santa's Little Helper Match
Maria, Kelly Kelly, Mickie James, & Michelle McCool
vs.
Maryse, Jillian Hall, Victoria, & Natalya

Does anyone care? Absolutely shocking match here. I didn't have to go to the bathroom so I actually watched this match, which was indeed a mistake. A cigarette break would have been a much better plan. However, I give this match one star simply because Michelle McCool did a Styles Clash to end the match. *

After this disgraceful match we get a Khali kiss cam segment, which ended up involving Mae Young. I will say nothing more.

6. World Heavyweight Championship Match
John Cena (c) vs. Chris Jericho

Real good match here, much better than their Survivor Series match. I enjoyed the fact that it was kept relatively short for a title match (give or take 12 minutes), which allowed for mostly fast paced action. This was a forgone conclusion match as no wrestling fan on earth thought Jericho would win, but it was still a great effort. ***3/4

7. WWE Championship Match
Edge (c) vs. Triple H vs. Jeff Hardy

Very good match, match of the night, and I must say I was completely dumbfounded when Jeff won. I did not see that coming at all, and to say I was surprised would be an understatement. I'm still trying to decide whether or not I buy Jeff as WWE Champion, but I have to say it presents an interesting situation. This match had a lot of great action including a great announce table spot, and the go home sequence was fantastic. I definitely could have done without the Kozlov and Matt Hardy interference, as I feel it did nothing for the match, but this was still a great effort by all 3 men. ****

So there you have it. While there was definitely entertainment to be found on this show, and there were 3 very good matches, the rest is total garbage. I would certainly not recommend purchasing this DVD, but rent this for the 3 good matches if you have nothing better to do on a weekend.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 16, 2008 7:10:40 PM PST
Robert Cambo says:
Seriously Marsifagla, Thisppv was way better than 3 stars! I know you didn't like Batista vs Randy Orten but it was a great match, it wasn't at all good at what it could've been or there match on raw in 2005 right before the Royal Rumble. Jeff winning the Title in an amazing match, Cena v jericho in a great match, mysterio v punk, and batista v orten were great matches i would give this ppv about 4.25 stars maybe even 4.5 You really do not know what you are taking about.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2008 3:42:24 PM PST
R. Marsiglia says:
I honestly don't think this was a 4 star ppv. A lot of people do and that's fine, but like I said the bad matches on the card dragged the rating down for me. I totally agree that the main event was amazing, I gave it 4 stars, and I really enjoyed Punk vs. Mysterio and Cena vs. Jericho as well. However, I do not agree at all that Batista vs. Orton was a "great match," although the last half was good, but the first half was pretty slow with not a whole lot going on at all. And the rest of the matches on the card were pretty bad. I also never said it was a bad show, I enjoyed this show hence the 3 star rating. It was a good effort from wwe, but I wouldn't go farther than that. Marsifagla is also a very classy touch I might add, simply because you think the show was better than 3 stars I am a fag who doesn't know what I'm talking about. If I could I would give it 3.5, but amazon does not allow for that.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2008 6:29:48 AM PST
R., I'll respect your opinions on this one. To me, it didn't look like much though on paper. Although I am not a big Jeff Hardy fan, I will buy this just for that final match alone! The crowd went crazy when he won! Reminded me of title wins like Dusty Rhodes beating Ric Flair in 1986, Ric Flair's victory over Harley Race at Starrcade '83, Eddie Guerrero's win over Brock Lesner in 2004 as well as Chris Benoit's win over HHH & Shawn Michaels in 2004. The ovation Hardy got for his title win at least equaled those in terms of crowd reaction if not surpassed those reactions!

I don't know how long he'll last as champ but I hope he does well and stays out of trouble.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 2, 2009 8:56:37 PM PST
R. Marsiglia says:
I think buying this dvd wouldn't be a mistake. Like I said, I personally would not, but if you can get it for like 15 bucks there are 3 matches on there that are very good and very worth watching.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (12 customer reviews)

$24.95 $14.81