Safety Month BOTMKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars For those giving one star due to the ebook release delay, January 9, 2013
This review is from: A Memory of Light (Wheel of Time, Book 14) (Hardcover)
From Brandon Sanderson:

Question: Why a delayed ebook release for A Memory of Light?

Answer: This is not my decision or Tor's decision, but Harriet's. She is uncomfortable with ebooks. Specifically, she worries about ebooks cutting into the hardcover sales. It isn't about money for her, as the monetary difference between the two is negligible here. It is about a worry that her husband's legacy will be undermined if sales are split between ebooks and hardcovers, preventing the last book of the Wheel of Time from hitting number one on either list. (Many of the bestseller lists are still handling ebooks in somewhat awkward ways.)

As the last books have all hit number one, she doesn't want to risk one of these not hitting number one, and therefore ending the series on a down note. (Even though each Wheel of Time book has sold more than its predecessor, including the ones I have worked on.) I personally feel her worries are unfounded, and have explained that to her, but it is not my choice and I respect her reasoning for the decision. She is just trying to safeguard Robert Jordan's legacy, and feels this is a very important way she needs to do so. After talking about the issue, we were able to move the ebook up from the originally planned one-year delay to instead come out this spring.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 9, 2013 12:38:12 PM PST
Thank you Brandon for taking up the sword in the name of Mr. Jordan's legacy. You have no idea how much that means to the true fans of the series.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 3:13:56 PM PST
It doesn't matter who made the decision. It's a stupid decision.

btw ... why don't Sam and the other Tor employees report this review (which is not a review)?

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 6:14:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2013 6:16:07 PM PST
Mathachew says:
Delay the ebook to preserve Jordan's legacy? Because giving dedicated fans the proverbial middle finger certainly invokes positive feedback.

Legacy you say? This coming from the same editor that green lit nearly as many bad books as good ones in the Wheel of Time series? Phaw!

Concern over reaching number one? Right, because ebook formats are commonly known to prevent such prestige. Poppycock!

It's not about the money? Sorry Brandon, I think Harriet has you fooled in that regard. I'm not saying she doesn't deserve to reap what her and Jordan (and eventually Sanderson) have sewn, but it's most certainly all about the money. Cha-ching!

The most baffling part of this fiasco? Harriet wanting to delay the ebook for a whole year. Hours after learning this, I'm still perturbed. Thank you, Brandon, for continually fighting for what you and us consumers really value: choice.

The only reason Harriet is getting a dime from me is because I have a Sanderson First Edition collection; it had nothing to do with Jordan's legacy, be it positive or negative.

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 10:52:26 PM PST
Sfdrew28 says:

Posted on Jan 9, 2013 10:52:27 PM PST
Sfdrew28 says:

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 1:35:24 AM PST
Stu Davies says:
After pre-ordering the Kindle version Amazon informed me it would be delivered to my Kindle on the 9th. Very disapointed with Amazon and the idiot who decided to delay the eBook release !

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 3:24:27 PM PST
Well, I ordered the ebook and was told it would be delivered on January 9th. It clearly wasn't. If the ebook version is not available it should not be on sale for pre-orders.
I am a great fan of Robert Jordan but this decision is really flawed.

I hope it at least serves as a watershed for how not to treat fans that have bought your books for two decades. It is a shame that Jordan's legacy ends with 150 one star reviews due to the poor decision making of those who are releasing the various editions at different times.

Publishers watch this mess and learn from it.

Posted on Jan 10, 2013 7:35:13 PM PST
I'm saddened by this and would gladly have paid the full hardcover price for the ebook. Unfortunately this means that I won't be able to read this book until April. I'm not a fan of heavy hard covers, which is why it took me so long to read the earlier books.

I don't have a month to read the hardcover, but I can get through one of these in ebook version in about half that time. I just read faster, so I'm definitely disappointed that I have to wait even longer than the January book release date.

Posted on Jan 13, 2013 8:33:55 PM PST
AngelosGal says:
I would like to thank you Mr. Sanderson for completing this series. I thought you did a credible job on books 12 and 13 and this last book was terrific, even though I would have liked it to have more in the epilogue. But, while reading a Memory of Light, I laughed, I cried and most times found myself on the edge of my seat. You made me proud of the characters created by Mr Jordan and you ended his legacy in a way which I am sure he would have found honorable. It is shameful what the reviewers have done to the ratings because they were disappointed in not having the ebook version, but please believe you did an incredible job. Thank you again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 9:53:34 PM PST
Perfectly said. Thank you so much for posting this.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›