5.0 out of 5 stars Great little mac for the money, March 4, 2012
This review is from: Apple iBook Laptop, G4 iBook 1.33GHz Processor, 1GB, 40GB, 12.1" 1024x768 Display, Combo Drive ,WiFi, 56K Modem ,10/100 Ethernet, Bluetooth, Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) (Electronics)
I am a IT Networking student that is almost finished with my degree. I got a temp job working for the school district and it may turn permanent. I am very good with windows and linux and I am a hardware geek. When I interviewed for the position they asked what experience I had with macs. Almost the entire school system was on macs because they got tired of viruses. I said none, I have only ever met a couple of people that used them and non that needed repairs. I told them I could learn quickly and pickup as I go and they hired me. Not wanting to fumble around on their time I picked up this laptop to get used to how it works and learn about it. I have learned a good bit about macs with it and find im getting my work done quickly because of the practice.
I must warn you if you have ideas about upgrading the hard drive it is difficult. You just about have to completely disassemble the laptop to get it. Like pealing a onion. The memory on my laptop is 1 gig. I have installed several programs including virtualpc for mac and installed several os, like dos, win2000, xp, and win2003. Well win2003 was a little lagy the rest worked very well and share folder setup very quick.
I would sugest getting the os version that just has ppc architecture. If you have the os that has both you are loosing about 10gig. This laptop comes with 40gig so that is 25% of your space.
The battery is very good. I usually get about 4 hrs on it. You would consider this is good by pc standards but consider that when this was new the time was about 6 hrs. There are things you can get like duel battery chargers that charge and maintain two batters so you always have power. Batteries range from $25-60.
At my school I and others have had a problem with staying connected to the net or even being able to connect.With the mac i have not had one problem with connections. It works very well.
All told the laptop runs very quickly for the amount of memory I have. I am able to carry it around when working on my tasks easily. I also carry it in my backpack to classes. It is very small and although there are some lighter laptops it is a managable weight.

[Add comment]