4.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I expected...after some patience., October 30, 2013
This review is from: ASUS Transformer Book T100 10.1-Inch Detachable 2-in-1 Touch Laptop with Dock, 2GB RAM and 64GB SSD (Personal Computers)
I was very excited to get this device, so when I opened it and wasn't able to turn on it on, I wasn't too thrilled to see that the manual told me to charge it for 8 hours initially. I can't blame the tablet for that. Going against my better judgment, the little kid in me didn't want to wait for that, so I turned it on after only about a half-hour of charge. I will say that during initial Windows setup, it shut off due to a lack of charge.... My fault. The reason I'm including that is because it is a possible cause of how the device behaved initially.

The device while plugged in, seemed to not be charging or doing so at a very poor pace, as others have mentioned. It was sluggish, webpages were loading very slowly in desktop mode and in the Modern IE app. The WiFi randomly cut out, and most of the modern apps (The Metro UI) would open for a second and then force close with no error message. I was aggravated and very close to returning it. However I had read many reviews that lead me to believe that this was not the case for some people.

I work in IT, and I'm not a person who can just give up on a device like this without troubleshooting first, regardless of how strong the urge may be. The first thing I tried was a very simple factory restore, not thinking it would do much but it was worth a shot as a starting point. To my surprise, it worked. The device was suddenly much more responsive, the apps were opening quickly and not force closing, the WiFi was working fine, and the battery was definitely charging whether the screen was on or off. Also to address another review, the charging LED by the power button DOES go from orange to white when it is fully charged. While it may not be the fastest charging device, it charged a lot faster than my 3rd Gen iPad.

Now to actually discuss a few things about the physical device. The Screen is nice, not as bright or pixel dense as my iPad was but the extra functionality I receive with Windows 8 is well worth the trade-off. Besides, I didn't really notice a huge difference when watching Netflix or Hulu. The difference was only noticeable with text, but either way it is still a nice and perfectly adequate screen with nice viewing angles and pretty decent color.

As for build quality, I don't know what people are complaining about. I was expecting to pick this up and have it feel really cheap and light, and not a good kind of lightweight. This thing isn't too heavy but has a nice solid weight to it as well as the keyboard dock. I'm not saying it felt as "premium" as the iPad did, but it is perfectly fine to me and not just because of the price. The touchpad on the dock is a little erratic at times and doesn't feel great, but it works fine for me. The keyboard is a little small as well, but I'd still prefer it over always using the on-screen keyboard. I applaud Asus for including the dock at this price because to be honest using Desktop mode in Windows 8 sometimes requires a mouse or trackpad to avoid a lot of frustration from mis-taps.

Overall, I'm glad I purchased this device. Anything intensive I can do on my desktop, though this little guy seems to be pretty capable. Obviously this won't replace your main computer unless you really only use it for web browsing, watching videos, and creating/editing documents (Comes with Office Home and Student for free..or at least bundled into the great price.) But it is great for what I do with a tablet and a little more. So if you order this and have issues with it, give it a chance and at least attempt a factory restore, which is very simple to do.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 30, 2013 8:34:06 PM PDT
R. Taylor says:
I had similar crazy issues with the initial installation. Had to get all the way to the recovery partition from POST (F9, should you ever need it) to do the factory restore, but its been smooth sailing ever since.

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 6:34:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2013 7:47:55 AM PST
cerealus says:
UPDATE: spoke too soon ... "asus crtitical updates" wanted to reboot ... I said ok ... it totally trashed my machine ... had to restore ... after the restore, 1st thing, I uninstalled "asus live updates" ... we'll see how long this lasts ... definitely not ready for prime time!

also, they put the up-arrow key next to a shorter shift key ... very frustrating! ... the whole keyboard's kinda sunk in ... at which, there's a ridge behind the spacebar ... so that ridge prevents the spacebar from going down far enough ... take some getting used to

I bought this ... after reading this review ... good thing ... battery was dead as a doornail ... there was a little brochure thingy in the box that said to charge it 8hr prior to 1st use ... I plugged it in ... and in a minute, I got it to start up ... man, they wanna know EVERYTHING about ya ... it's like Sony's, Roku's, and iPhone's "registration", all rolled into one ... definitely not your daddy's windows install/startup

didn't have to do a restore ... downloading firefox had some trouble ... but that was right away, when the battery was at like 5% ... later, I unplugged it at 86% ... took about 4hr to get that ... very slow charging ... but doesn't seem in a hurry to discharge, so that's nice

first time accessing gmail in firefox, it took a minute ... then it was fine ... maybe caching some stuff?

downloaded chrome ... that went better

both browsers are very responsive ... sometimes ... other times, they seem to take unusually long ... not sure if that's windows 8, my dsl, the servers ... or what?

all in all, for what I paid, I'm extremely impressed!

I was looking at the new haswell 8in tablets ... I told someone I'd rather have a laptop than a 10in tablet ... then it hit me ... duh! ... and this thing was almost the same price ... but comes with a keyboard ... one that holds your tablet up, so your fingers don't cramp up! ... awesome!

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 11:25:07 AM PST
you can download a free app that brightens you screen called quick brightness

Posted on Nov 17, 2013 11:25:29 AM PST
you can download a free app that brightens you screen called quick brightness

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 5:00:57 AM PST
could you please tell me if office is free forever or for a 90 days trial?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2013 5:24:56 PM PST
K. Casdorph says:
Hello, where do you find quick brightness ? Thanks.

Posted on Nov 20, 2013 7:50:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2013 8:19:03 PM PST
Luisa says:
I had exact same problem today. I just purchased this tablet over the weekend. Today it installed some sort of ASUS update and I got the blue screen of death! I had a live chat with ASUS and they walked me through the steps to trouble shoot and restore my tablet to factory settings. Besides that hiccup...I love this tablet! Yes the keyboard is a on the small side, but I can't complain...I didn't have to pay extra for it. It has USB and microSD slots which is perfect and Microsoft Office for my work. The only thing that I wish this tablet could do would be to tilt back when it is on the dock or if the keyboard could act as a back up battery.

Edit: I figured out that it does tilt back. Its very difficult to tilt back because of how rigid it is and I was afraid I was going to break it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2013 3:42:41 AM PST
Yes, it's a full free installation of office. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, forever.

Posted on Nov 30, 2013 5:00:22 PM PST
hp1480 says:
I have heard that there is a piece of software called classic shell that changes 8.1 to similar to win 7. would you know if I installed that would my touch screen still work on my tablet .

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2013 9:01:19 AM PST