3.0 out of 5 stars A bit underwhelming, September 25, 2012
This review is from: Babel (MP3 Music)
This album is not bad, but it's not great either...definitely not as great as Sigh No More. The album starts incredibly strong; the first track is probably my favorite off the entire album, but after a few songs it slows down quite a bit and each song starts sounding like the last, and the question, "Is that the same banjo riff I heard in the last two songs?" inevitably creeps into the mind. Considering the long and impressive journey their first album took to reach the popularity it eventually did, the Sons had a LOT to live up to. This is a fine effort by the band, but I will admit it left me a bit underwhelmed. With that said, there are certainly some gems on this album and an overall nostalgia that make it worth picking up.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 25, 2012 11:51:59 AM PDT
I will say it right now, your review will probably get some hate but I think you're dead on. I felt like since it was their sophomore album they would play it safe and they did. I guess I can't blame them but there is certainly nothing new here.

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 2:38:05 PM PDT
nachista says:
I've only had a chance to listen to it once all the way through. I think there was some material that could have been left behind for another album, there is a slight lag in the flow of the overall sound of the album. That being said there are a couple real gems on there that I already love and have stuck in my head.

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 2:53:58 PM PDT
Grace says:
This was exactly what I thought. Nothing about it was awful, and some songs were really good, yeah, but even after listening to it several times, I was still left thinking, "Now wait, didn't I just hear this...?" I felt like it was building up to something fresh and new, but never got there.

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 6:50:41 PM PDT
J. Pager says:
I, for one, really love the new song. I can't for the life of me figure out why they included it on the album twelve times, though.

Posted on Sep 25, 2012 7:43:29 PM PDT
Lou Silva says:
First impressions are valid, but I think you all should give yourselves some more time with this album before giving your final verdict.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 25, 2012 8:34:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 25, 2012 8:35:15 PM PDT
Seth says:
I'm with you, Lou. My first listen was at an album spinning party. UPS was super late in delivering the LP, so we listened to the iTunes Deluxe Edition. I was very disappointed in the mix, and ambivalent about the album itself. UPS arrived an hour later and I've already spun the LP twice. It's growing on me very quickly. I really like it, may love it very soon.

Posted on Apr 9, 2013 2:27:07 PM PDT
BooksRuleAZ says:
I checked the responses to see the the contrary opinions to your comments but everyone so far, like I, agree with you. Since this is my first album by the group it was hard to know which one to get. Sophomore efforts are often tough. I thought the mix was a little compressed and there was too much of an unrelenting wall of sound but maybe my ears are getting old.

Posted on Nov 13, 2014 8:53:14 AM PST
"Is that the same banjo riff I heard in the last two songs?"
The banjo is a limited instrument and has a limited of number of "rolls" available. You pick your rolland follow the songs chord sequence. Bluegrass is like this; thousands of songs....
Musician's joke:
Know the difference between a harmonica and a banjo?
With a harmonica, only HALF the notes suck!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.6 out of 5 stars (1,213 customer reviews)

Out of stock