Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst quality Blu-Ray out there!, July 9, 2009
This review is from: Total Recall [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
I got a BD player a year after they came out while the format war was still going on and I read reviews of the discs. They always said that this one was not too great but acceptable. Some how, some people rate The Terminator (first 2) discs as poor when they are not. Total Recall is by far THE worst BD disc ever!

This one gets the same type of review as Robocop from the reviewers. It is no wonder why these discs are $10 or less! This is a very poor representation of Blu-Ray or even HD. I am good at spotting resolutions with my eye and I can tell that this is not an HD master. It has to be a 480I give or take a few lines!

This is nothing more than an upconverted picture, but upconverted DVD's look much better in most cases. From the moment the credits roll, there is severe crushing, noise and low resolution. The picture quality is so bad that it looks like analog cable with a damaged cord - THAT bad! The noise (it can't be mere film grain alone) is so horrible that the film grain has noise that moves and changes colors!

The colors were bland and there was NOTHING HD about the picture in any way. There was no 3D effect when looking at the picture. No facial details. No stitching in the clothing - nothing. The sound was weak as well since it was in DTS-HD, not Master Audio. Hey, it was one of the early BD titles.

Instead of steady re-releasing Terminators, they need to remaster this! I avoided it out of fear of the reviews, but the reviewers were too soft on this one. Do not get it if you are looking for HD picture.

On another note, it was weird (I know) to see so many tube TV's 100 years into the future. Even 2001: A Space Odessy predicted flat screens.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 11, 2010 6:55:33 AM PDT
Snoot Mooot says:
I found out this the hard way as well. I returned it to Amazon claiming that saying this movie was in High Definition was a lie, and that it looked like a VHS tape and got my money back.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2011 2:00:18 PM PST
BeastNYC says:
Robo Cop 1 was not that bad. The transfer had some POP to it most of the time. Yes, the grain in Robo does spike a few times, but it didn't distract me from enjoying a classic movie from my childhood.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 2:04:30 PM PDT
R. Smith says:
There is NO way I am shelling out for this patently terrible Total Recall 'upgrade'.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 4:15:21 PM PDT
I've actually had this for a few years! I did buy it cheap, and unfortunately my DVD upconverted looks way better than this version of the blu ray they claim to be full HD. Way too red on Mars.

Posted on Dec 25, 2014 10:55:41 PM PST
Ethan says:
I ordered this Blu Ray years ago when I first bought my player. I am playing it right now on my 65" UHD newbie and noticed the same thing - the noise is unbearable and the original source looks like it was in fact VHS.

For a movie of this scale it's shameful that, in effect - we don't have a Blu Ray release of this classic film.

Thank you for posting this.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2015 1:05:58 PM PDT
R. Bemrose says:
From all reports, the original transfer is crap.

The Mind-Bending Edition is much better... and even has a video comparison between the two editions as one of its special features.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›