Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Indie for the Holidays egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grooming Deals Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD

5.0 out of 5 stars B.o.B's sophomore effort is absolutely fantastic, May 1, 2012
This review is from: Strange Clouds (Audio CD)
B.o.B's sophomore album has finally hit stores and it was well worth the wait. Over the course of Bob putting this album together we heard some really amazing songs. "Strange Clouds" came out before B.o.B. even announced the album, and even though it features Lol Wayne, it was still fun, and original. After that he dropped "Play The Guitar" which in my mind was absolutely fantastic, right now it's #17 on my most listened to song on iTunes at 60 times. We then heard the super mainstream "So Good" which everybody who wrote a review about it said it was So Good! (By the way, to those who said that about that song, shut up, you're not funny or original by saying that.) Anyways, it was decent, but in no way is a star from the album. Then we heard the incredible "Where Are You" which is right by Play the Guitar at the most listened to song on my iTunes library, and then most recently we heard "So Hard To Breathe", that too wasn't anything fantastic, but it was good.
Now that the album is out, it absolutely does not disappoint, it's much better than his first effort, but it still has the occasional hiccup *COUGH*Outta My Mind*COUGH*
1. Bombs Away 5/5 - An excellent way to start the album. Morgan Freeman makes a surprising appearance, but he does a great narrator part in the intro of the song, setting a great mood for the entire album. Great song.
2. Ray Bands 5/5 - This is an interesting song, it has a crazy catchy hook and the rapping is top notch just like you would expect from B.o.B. It also features a surprising line "After strange clouds, Imma drop my rock album" Makes me wonder how true that is, I really hope it isn't true seeing how Lol Wayne's "Rebirth" made deaf kids cry, and Kid Cudi's attempt was fairly average.
3. So Hard to Breathe 4/5 - B.o.B's favorite song is actually somewhat disappointing. A slower beat with some great strings in the background. Under no circumstances is this a bad song, but it isn't a highlight.
4. Both of Us 4/5 - I have one major gripe with this song. I'll start out by saying I love the dangerous Taylor Swift feature, its very rare to see a rapper collaborate with a country singer. But the thing I don't like is that between B.o.B's part and Taylor's part, they just don't mix as well as they should. At times it feels like two different songs bolted together at the last minute. Luckily it comes together at the end to make a fairly memorable song.
5. Strange Clouds 5/5 - Excellent song, the lead single, and the name of the album. The dubstep beat is fantastic, but Lol Wayne gets out rapped big time, in fact, they should have just left him out, it was very unneeded. But it also proves my point that Lol Wayne might be gay "B.o.B. F*** with me!" Weezy yells while B.o.B. sings the chorus. Hilarious yes, annoying, even more. (And I was just kidding about the Lol Wayne being gay part)
6. So Good 4/5 - I have a love hate relationship with this song. Its a good song, but it just seems like this was too forced, like they needed some sort of huge super mainstream smash hit to complete the album. Which I totally disagree with, its a good song, but like I said before, it just seemed to forced.
7. Play for Keeps 5/5 - Great pounding beat, the lyrics are phenomenal. Not a standout but still excellent
8. Arena 5/5 - Chris Brown hits the mark on the hook, and B.o.B. does fantastic with the rapping, and T.I. also does great. I love the beat and the piano part seals the deal. Great song overall..
9. Out of My Mind 2/5 - What. The. F***. This is garbage. I don't know how high B.o.B. was when he decided this was a good idea, but the beat is just annoying and the Nicki Minaj feature is even worse than Lol Wayne's feature. This is just awful.
10. Never Let You Go 5/5 - The hook is fantastic and Ryan Tedder does fantastic with the production. I love the guitar, the beat is great. Another standout track. Fantastic Job.
11. Chandelier 5/5 - The Lauriana Mae feature isn't fantastic, her voice is actually kind of annoying, not as bad as the Nicki and Lol Wayne features, but still a good song. I like the funky beat that goes along with it.
12. Circles 4/5 - This is an interesting song, it doesn't really shine in any ways, but it's not really a dud, just another decent song.
13. Just a Sign 4/5 - Another good song, B.o.B and Playboy Tre both do a great job with their verses. This is a nice kind of chill track. The beat isn't anything to get excited about. Not a standout, but not a dud.
14. Castles 5/5 - Trey Songz does a fantastic job with the chorus, this is classic B.o.B. right here, one of my favorites.
15. Where Are You (B.o.B. vs. Bobby Ray) 5/5 - I'm going to go out on a limb here and say this could be one of the best B.o.B. songs of all time. I've already listened to it over 50 times, the melody is perfect, and the lyrics are fantastic, and the lack of a real hook actually adds to the perfection. My favorite song on the album.

Honorable Mentions:

Best Hook:

Best Verse:
Bob's First Verse in Strange Clouds

Best Beat:
Where Are You (B.o.B. vs. Bobby Ray)

Best Guest Feature:
Tie - Morgan Freeman in Bombs Away & Trey Songz in Castles

Best Surprise:
Tie - The Morgan Freeman and Taylor Swift Features

Best Song:
Where Are You (B.o.B. vs. Bobby Ray)

Dishonorable Mentions:

Worst Hook:

Worst Verse:
Tie - Lol Wayne in Strange Clouds & Nicki Minaj in Outta My Mind

Worst Beat:

Worst Guest Feature:
Lol Wayne & Nicki Minaj

Worst Surprise:
Nicki Minaj being featured in a song, and then ruining the hook to one of B.o.B's best songs ever (She samples the hook of airplanes).

Worst Song:

Most Forgettable Song:

Songs In Order (From Best To Worst)
1. Where Are You (B.o.B. vs. Bobby Ray)
2. Arena
12. So Good
13. Just A Sign
14. Circles
15. Outta My Mind

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]