2.0 out of 5 stars Time Warner Customers: Beware, September 25, 2013
This review is from: Netgear Cg3000d Cable Modem/ Router Docsis 3.0 In New Official Manufacturer Brown Box (Environmentally Safe) - Non-Retail Box, 100% New and Complete (Personal Computers)
I want to preface this review by saying that this is based off of my experiences with this modem. Just because it didn't work out well for me doesn't mean that it won't for you, especially if you're using an ISP other than Time Warner. With that said, I think it's worth while for me to put my experience out there so that you can make an informed decision.

I bought this modem because it was on the approved list for Time Warner service, the price was right, and it's a DOCSIS 3.0 modem. Seemed like a great buy. I mean, if it's on Time Warner's approved list, surely it will work properly on their network, right? Not exactly.

The tech came, made some changes to wiring, fired up the modem, got the MAC put on the network, and said everything was working great. A little while after he left, I tried and found that pages would sometimes load like they should, and then seconds later, would refuse to load. Then it would go several minutes before loading anything again, then back to normal. This intermittent problem persisted. Later in the day, I did standard troubleshooting (rebooting the modem, checking physical connections, hooking up using ethernet, etc.) and nothing worked. I tried multiple devices...same issue. Calling Time Warner tech support resulted in them putting the blame on the device and telling me to call Netgear. While I didn't (and still don't) disagree with them that the the problem was with the modem and not Time Warner's network, I knew that Netgear wouldn't help me either.

Some research helped me to discover that others have had the same problem, both on Time Warner and other networks. All the problems pointed to one thing: firmware. The firmware on most cable modems, including this one, is not user upgradeable. The ISP is supposed to take care of that. However as a rule, Time Warner doesn't mess with the firmware on customer owned devices. Quite a conundrum. After talking to a level 3 tech person at Time Warner and getting the real scoop, he told me that he hasn't dealt with a lot of Netgear modems, but every one that he has dealt with has had problems on their network. He also confirmed that there was nothing he could do with regards to upgrading the firmware.

So bottom line: if you're looking to buy this for Time Warner service, be wary. Depending on which firmware you get and which firmware is compatible with the Time Warner network in the are you're living in, it may or may not work despite the fact that it's on their approved list. Is it worth the risk for the price? Maybe. For me personally, I wouldn't have bothered if I knew the risks that I know now.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 1, 2013 5:16:26 AM PDT
Thank you, I am now planning to buy the Motorola 6141 or 6121

Posted on Oct 10, 2013 8:48:19 AM PDT
skyy says:
I wish I knew what device you were using now as I am soon to be a twc customer.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2013 8:32:47 PM PDT
I was using this device. That's why I wrote this review.

Maybe you mean you wish you knew which firmware came with the device I received?

Posted on Nov 6, 2013 5:40:07 PM PST
Matthew W. says:
Time warner user and similar issues. TW couldn't identify serial number, wifi not working on modem, etc etc. I don't think it's the modem itself so much as it TW doesn't play nice with user owned netgear modems such as this. they WANT you to lease theirs at $6 a month foreverrrrrrrr....

Posted on Nov 27, 2013 11:28:54 AM PST
Do you think it has anything to do with using a Mac computer? At work, most mac computers have a hard time connecting to any network.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2013 7:38:33 PM PST
I don't think it has anything at all to do with using a Mac. Generally speaking, the operating system that a computer is running doesn't dictate how well it can connect to the internet. A Windows machine or Linux machine is just as likely to experience problems at some point with connecting to the internet as a Mac does.

Regardless, when I had problems with this modem, I tried numerous different devices running numerous different operating systems (OS X, iOS, and Windows). All devices showed the same problem.

Posted on Dec 8, 2013 7:40:39 PM PST
Loren says:
solution to this problem:

Posted on Dec 17, 2013 11:18:41 AM PST
Dani says:
This was crap for me. It connected great. I just couldn't obtain a password for it. Meaning I couldn't connect to twc. I got the run around. They couldn't give me the pw. I had to contact net gear which I did several times. Got different answers every time the last being that I needed to pay $130 for tech support. That was enough for me. Don't bother . What a headache.

Posted on Jan 2, 2014 10:04:09 AM PST
B. Blymyer says:
Thank you for such an informative, honest review. Up until just an hour ago I didn't realize that using a personally-owned modem with my TWC service was even an option! I was 90% sure that this may be the best route for me to take with my business. Based on your review, I'm not sure that it is worth the hassle, even for the chance that it could save me money in the long run (modem-leasing money could be funneled into increasing speed, equaling higher productivity, etc, etc). Having your TWC-user perspective on this modem was invaluable to me.

Posted on Jan 10, 2014 10:48:20 AM PST
Really wish I would have read this BEFORE I bought. I had Time Warner a couple of years ago and was using a different modem which was given away when I changed to competitor when TWC jacked up the price. Never experienced problems with that old modem. Now, basically having the same problems that this poster experienced. Thought since on TWC approved list, it would work, but doesn't and figured it was the stupid modem and because I'm NOT paying for TWC's rip-offmonthly modem pricing, guess I'm stuck with it. Also knew I wouldn't get any answers or help from TWC BECAUSE I'm not paying for their rip-off modem pricing. Live and learn. I'll step off my soap box now.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›