1.0 out of 5 stars Are you having modem resets? you have a FIRMWARE PROBLEM that needs to be Updated, December 16, 2013
This review is from: Arris WBM760A Touchstone DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem (Personal Computers)
Hi everyone. Most likely you're having these problems because of a FIRMWARE PROBLEM. If you're modem is resetting, has the DS/US lights flashing when they are green, intermittent modem connectivity, you have old the old buggy bad 2009 firmware.

Log into your Arris modem using 192.168.100.1, and click on the HW/SW Versions tab.

You want this firmware update:
Firmware Name: TS070463A_011312_WBM760_CM820
Firmware Build Time: Fri Jan 13 19:49:52 EST 2012

NOT this one:
Firmware Name: WBM030248_111709_MODEL_7
Firmware Build Time: Tue Nov 17 19:09:33 EST 2009

Write to ComcastTuska for a firmware update. He will do it for you in a few days or less (sometimes the same day). As a Comcast customer, create a forum account (easy to do) and login and write to him.

You can do it here: [...]

You will need to provide your CMAC address to him. DO NOT give this number out to anyone except him or an authorized Comcast technician. This number is your hardware number for your modem, and it should be treated like a Social Security number.

You can see the forum of this issue on Comcast's website here:
[...]

There is a glitch in the 2009 firmware whereas it cannot update on its own, but needs manual intervention. This is a three star rated modem by Comcast. [...] It is a very good stable modem once the problem is fixed, I can assure you.

This problem is very easy to fix once you know what to do.

Best regards,
Michael

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 11, 2014 3:23:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 11, 2014 3:25:29 PM PST
Carol says:
I wish I had read this review before finding out all these things the hard way, this most excellent guy takes you through the process step by step and if you do what he says you will not waste 10 hours of your life on the phone with tech support and take my word for it they will not be able to do the upgrade no matter how hard they try, you will just waste your time. ComcastNick can't even do the double bump it takes to get from 11/17/2009 to 1/13/2012 (Friday the 13th) I did get mine done by ComcastTusca and now it works like it should but if I hadn't gotten the box dirty I would have sent this back and gotten the surfboard that most of the one star ratings referred to. Michael gets it right so if you keep this modem follow his directions and save yourself a lot of headaches. Jon

Posted on Jan 13, 2014 8:29:52 PM PST
Paul H says:
Thanks so much for posting this review. Solved my problem right away. You and ComcastTuska are doing a great service. Got an update after messages Comcast Tuska and everything is working great. Thanks again!

Posted on Jan 28, 2014 7:20:16 AM PST
Thanks Michael, if it were not for your review, I would be without hair by now. I was able to get in touch with Comcast and they were able to update my firmware for me. Thanks for the letter of instructions you posted. It was definitely a life saver. Thank you very much.

Posted on Apr 2, 2014 3:46:44 AM PDT
Joe C says:
Thanks for the info, it's what gave me the confidence to go forward with ordering this modem (after failing twice to get the ZyXEL BRG35503 working).

But as of now (April 1) it seems that either Comcast sorted out the problem with the firmware, or Arris is shipping with the newer firmware, because I plugged in and activated and checked the firmware and it's showing the 2012 rev you described. Didn't have to go through ComcastTusca or anything.

I've only been up for 5 minutes so I can't comment on stability yet, but I'm expecting good things.

Posted on Apr 19, 2014 3:07:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 22, 2014 6:35:48 AM PDT
gucky says:
Thank you Michael! My one-star review August 4, 2013 outlines the lack of help either from Arris or Comcast, although it did cost Comcast quite a number of service calls. I happened to go back and check out reviews after looking at the Arris paperweight in our computer room and found yours. I've gotten in touch with ComcastTuska and will see what he can do. Win, lose, or draw you've provided a real service here and I appreciate your very specific instructions.

Update: We did get in touch with ComcastTusca and as of this morning the 2012 firmware has been installed and it appears to be working flawlessly. Yippee! We never would have checked this, if not for you, Michael. Thanks again!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2014 9:00:03 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 3, 2014 9:00:50 PM PDT]

Posted on Oct 22, 2014 2:24:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 22, 2014 2:24:45 PM PDT
RobbieG23 says:
After a year of storing this Arris modem away (because of the same issues everyone else mentions), I decided to revisit this page one last time before biting the bullet and purchasing another Docsis 3.0, I came across this helpful update. I decided to follow your advice and check on the firmware version installed. After reconnecting, the firmware was indeed the outdated 2009 version. I called Comcast to re-activate the Arris modem and after several reset cycles (10 minutes or so), I finally got all green lights!

I went back again to the http://192.168.100.1 page and I was surprised to find that the firmware had been automatically updated to the following:

Firmware Name: TS070659M_092613_WBM760_CM820
Firmware Build Time: Thu Sep 26 19:17:40 EDT 2013

I believe this is an even newer version than what you'd originally suggested. It seems they finally figured out a way to push the update out automatically, so I wanted to let you (and everyone) know. I only wish I could tell everyone else that's gone through the same issue to try again!

So far, it seems to be working beautifully.

Thanks again, Michael!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (311 customer reviews)

$79.95