5.0 out of 5 stars Great Modem!-- but tricky to configure w/ AT&T, November 30, 2009
This review is from: Actiontec GT701D Ethernet DSL Modem with Routing Capabilities (Personal Computers)
I bought the Actiontec GT701D to replace a dying Motorola 2210. Took me hours to get this modem running with AT&T DSL on a Mac. The roadblock was that AT&T kept redirecting me to a dead-end "Password Help" page whenever I entered the 192.168.0.1 address in a browser to configure the modem. I contacted AT&T and was told they do not support the Actiontec. I eventually found the trick: I popped in the AT&T DSL Installation CD which did allow me to configure this modem with my account info. I also had to change my Ethernet connection in System Preferences from PPoE to DHCP. There is likely an easier way to set this modem up, but whatever--the Actiontec is now working flawlessly. I've had a solid connection since I got it started about a week ago. Glad I bought this modem instead of another overheating Motorola.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 23, 2010 5:56:23 AM PST
192.168.0.1 is the incorrect address for the modem. Not all modems use this address for their address. You didn't read the user manual. The installation CD is not required. The modem can be configured through a web browser.

Posted on Apr 24, 2010 2:21:41 PM PDT
rumasa says:
thanks to your explanation I was able to install my modem with no problem. I called AT&T and they just told me that this modem was not prepared to work with their system and I had to returnit and buy an expensive one from them.
I did the same, with the cd and it works perfect!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 10, 2010 8:57:26 PM PDT
R. McDonald says:
Check p. 31 of the manual posted here: http://www.actiontec.com/support/product_details.php?pid=186&typ=all#man . It pretty clearly states the IP address of the modem is 192.168.0.1.

You're correct that the CD is not necessary.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2010 12:56:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 14, 2010 1:03:30 AM PDT
Mooch says:
Yeah, the CD that comes with the Actiontech modem is useless for a Mac. The CD that I needed to use was the one that AT&T supplied for the initial setup of my DSL. That AT&T CD allowed the setup of the Actiontech, by choosing "Other" as the brand of modem being used. I've been using the Actiontech modem for about 7 months now and it has been FLAWLESS. It barely gets warm, compared to that annoying failing boiling-hot Motorola 2210 modem that AT&T wants me to buy. The Actiontech modem is one of the best things I have ever purchased.

Posted on May 10, 2011 9:20:46 AM PDT
Frank says:
You should configure the modem before connecting the dsl line.
192.168.0.1 is the correct address for this modem.

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 12:01:09 AM PDT
Motorola 2210 overheated and melted. GT701D works fine, BUT, I don't know why? Using a Mac under OS X no browser will connect using the 192.168.0.1 address, so I never have used the setup. It connects with AT&T DSL using a PPPoE setting with correct email & password entered in the Mac Network preferences. "Frank" says 192.168.0.1 is INCORRECT, but then doesn't supply the CORRECT address? "Mooch" says he changed his Network setting from PPPoE to DHCP which makes no sense to me, although I haven't tried this because I have a solid connection set as PPPoE. The Internet light on the modem is off now, but before I reset the modem using the reset button it was red, but when red, and when off, it connected fine, which has me perplexed. It seems to work perfect EXCEPT I can't get into the ActionTec Setup at 192.168.0.1 which makes me think this address is WRONG? Could someone supply the actual address?

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 12:02:59 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2011 11:49:26 AM PDT
Mooch says:
Do you have an Ethernet cable going directly from the modem to the Mac? I'm using Safari 4.1.3 as a browser, and I can get right to the Actiontec with http://192.168.0.1 -- You can get to it with no Internet on. I have no idea why I had luck changing PPPoE to DHCP. That might even be the wrong thing to do! I'm no computer whiz, I was just trying everything until the whole mess began working. Still good 2 years later, and the modem never gets hot.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2011 8:52:07 AM PDT
Peggy S. says:
Thanks, Mooch. I've been trying to set this up with a Mac...unsuccessfully. Not detecting modem. I will try to find my Original set up disc from AT&T and go from there! Wondered if that was the issue. Will also try the Bridging that others suggested.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›