5.0 out of 5 stars As a wireless repeater this is easy to set up and a surprisingly handy device, January 13, 2014
This review is from: Sabrent Wi-Fi Range Extender 300mbps 2.4GHZ 801.11N Multifunction Mini Router / Repeater / Access Point / Client / Bridge - Wall Plug Version (WR-WN300) (Personal Computers)
There is any number or ways to use this and my choice is as a wireless repeater. What happens when it's setup like that is it talks wirelessly to your wireless router and you talk wirelessly to it. The benefit is that you place it somewhere that your current wireless router's signal is getting week and it effectively extends the range.

The two typical questions with a device of this type are how difficult is it to set up and how much additional range do you get? For me, the answers were "Easy" and "nearly twice as far".

Setup was a snap. All you do is plug it into *any* outlet. It starts broadcasting its own wireless network (named "Wireless-N"). You connect to it as you would any other wireless network. Initially there is not "password" needed. Kudos to the folks at Sabrent. Once that is done, you use a browser and got to http://192.168.10.253 and log into their easy-to-understand administration web page. The username and password are both "admin". From here, you can select which mode to use and assign different passwords to the admin interface and router for added security. You don't need to remember any of this because the device comes with a printed manual that is surprisingly clear and easy to understand. More Kudos to the folks at Sabrent. This whole process takes less than five minutes.

To measure distance I plugged it in the same room as my "regular" router, one of those fancy devices with two antennas sticking up. As I moved around my house the signals from the two devices, this one and the one with all the antennas were within a few dB of each other. (I was using a WiFi analyzer, not just counting "bars".

I come by the "nearly double" range by placing it at a point where the signal from my regular router is beginning to degrade and then test that I can reliability connect to my regular router by standing next to it and connecting through this device. You would never do this except as a test.

So, how have I used it, you ask? So far, in the past week I've had a couple opportunities. Firstly, we had a small party in the common area that connects a group of houses. I plugged this into an outlet on my back porch and was able to get reliable wireless over the entire area. That's just not possible using only my regular router. I realize this isn't "rated" for outside use. However, the weather was fine while I was outside and when I was done I unplugged it, dropped it in my pocket, and went in.

Then, a few days ago, my next door neighbor mentioned his wireless router died and it would be a few days before he could get it replaced. I handed him this thing, told him to plug it into a wall outlet on the side of his house closest to mine, gave him a WiFi password to use, and he was in business.
I received this from Sabrent in exchange for providing an honest review. I didn't realize what I was getting would be so useful, so quickly.

Of course, it's not all tea and sunshine (whatever that means). Laws of physics come to play and you will be sacrificing some performance when connecting though this kind of repeater. However, there's an old saying, that bad breath is better than no breath at all. In this case, *that* means that for a small investment you can have wireless access where before there was none.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]