1.0 out of 5 stars Unforunately, many flash memory cards are fakes, January 1, 2011
This review is from: Kingston 8 GB microSDHC Class 4 Flash Memory Card SDC4/8GB (Electronics)
Yes folks, unless you are absolutely sure about the vendor's reputation, I would say that most of the flash memory cards sold on line are fakes. This really is a huge problem since most of the buyers are unaware of this. So, what exactly is a fake? These are usually inferior graded flash memory that has been used to "upgrade" to an apparent higher capacity card with a name brand manufacturer's sticker on it. This type of counterfeiting is no different than selling bogus Rolex watches at greatly discounted prices. But the bigger and more insidious problem with bogus flash cards is that the customer is not aware of it, unlike the phony Rolex's where the buyer usually knows that they are knockoffs. The card may fail right away, or as more typically happens, they will work for a while and then fail...leaving the owner not a clue as to what went wrong. I purchased a Kingston flash card before our trip to Asia. Everything was going fine until we had snapped just over 100 photos. We were in Shanghai, right after our run through of Japan. The camera would not snap any more pictures indicating that there was a problem (I don't remember the actual message). In addition, we couldn't view any of the photos we had already taken. We thought at that moment that disaster had struck and we had lost all of our precious photos. A savvier member of our traveling group suggested that I might bring the card to photo/electronics shop, as they might still be able to retrieve the photos from the defective card. So here I am running around Shanghai trying to find the proper place to have surgery done on our flash memory card. We finally found a place, but it wasn't cheap. We paid $145 to retrieve the photos, and except for a few, we were able to salvage most. Considering what we spent for the trip overall, it was worth it. But it was also an expensive lesson. Before entrusting your photos to a flash memory card, make sure that you have purchased it from a reputable dealer. And regardless of where you might have purchased it, test the card before using it. There a number of software applications you can run from your pc to do this. I now use "h2testw" to test my flash cards after purchase and before using. It's a free download, just google to find it. You can also get more info on this problem by googleing "fake flash memory cards". I'm posting this on Amazon, because of a previous poster reviewing and reporting his discovery of the fake card he received from this vendor. This vendor is still here, and apparently still selling this memory card even after the buyer reported it to Amazon. So, let the buyer beware, and do his due diligence when buying these items.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 5, 2011 2:36:06 PM PST
What is the vendor's company name?

Posted on Apr 23, 2011 2:14:39 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2011 2:39:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 23, 2011 3:10:22 PM PDT
John says:
You evidently need to take a basic course in reading comprehension. Nowhere in my review did I disparage Kingston. I was merely indicating that there were inferior memory cards being illegally produced by the criminal underworld and sold with the Kingston label to MAKE IT APPEAR as if it was actually produced by Kingston. I even gave an example of the Rolex watch knockoff as an example of this type of illegal goods trafficking. What's that you say? You actually bought one of these $50.00 Rolex's thinking it was the real thing? Never mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2011 11:28:41 PM PDT
ninja crepes says:
I'm a little frustrated by this issue considering I bought the supposed class 4 microSD but it performs worse than any class 2 I have in my library.

Funny thing is, this is the supposed Kingston card for which this review was written and it was shipped by the venerable Amazon, LLC (sarcasm)...so in my mind, they're responsible for ensuring the products they ship are legit.

It appears our realities are mutually exclusive.

Posted on Jun 2, 2011 8:10:16 AM PDT
S. Yeh says:
Then why Amazon take action on this vendor? Amazing!

Posted on Sep 27, 2011 1:10:34 PM PDT
bestreviewer says:
This has happened to me but with a seller on eBay. I tested the card using h2testw just like John did and it said that 1.9 GB was ok but the rest of the GB on the card is corrupted. Guys, listen to John because he is absolutely correct. Many buyers buy these SD cards without knowing its fake. Spread this important information to family and friends (if they buy sd cards)!

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 1:03:21 PM PST
James Bath says:
Thanks, John, for that thoughtful warning.

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 8:24:44 PM PDT
Kalasin K. says:
That makes perfect sense! Thanks so much for posting this review. I purchased a Kingston 16 GB memory card from Amazon a while back, a little over a year ago, and I never did understand why the 16 GB would only hold about 200-300 photos after a while. I thought I got it wet and shorted it out or something. I will now buy only from a reputed dealer. Cheers! :)

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 11:14:14 AM PDT
Kelly says:
Thank you for this review I will just go to best buy to make my purchase

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 5:04:02 PM PST
I think you have made a big point about the wrong issue. The point you made about having to spend $145 to recover your pictures should underscore the fact that you needed to back up your pictures. Not that there are fake electronics. That is a given just like there are fake doctors, fake... everything (not picking on doctors... just trying to make a point that anything and anyone can FAIL at any time). If you worry about the pictures, get a PDA, or some other device, load the memory chip into it and copy the pictures. That is the only (almost) sure way to prevent a failure of an electronic memory chip. That even can survive the theft or destrution of one or the other of your devices.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (4,606 customer reviews)
 (3,369)