1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, October 9, 2010
This review is from: Mockingjay (The Final Book of The Hunger Games) (Hardcover)
I absolutely love the first books and I was totally certain the third would be just as great but I have to say it was overall really disappointing. The worst part for me was the lack of character development, I was expecting anything tragic to happen to any character including Katniss but I never thought she would completely ignore their relationships which were the foundation of the first books. Maybe success ruined it for the author, she started believing she had to write "Literature", send a big message and somehow forgot to be loyal to her story.

SPOILERS AHEAD!

I guess my major complaints are: Katniss's mother is never "real" to me, there is not a single scene in this book that makes her alive, differently from CF and in the end she just disappears, doesn't even visit Katniss in recovery. Finninck's death was so gratuitous, they seemed to have time to escape those mutts and he was an excellent survivor, didn't seem realistic to me. The capitol city is full of pods? Why??? The last rebellion was 75 years ago! One of Katniss's best qualities in the arena was her capacity to evaluate her chances. How could she and a bunch of trained soldiers cross an occupied city and invade a well defended mansion to kill the president ??? It was totally absurd to me and this was the whole last third of the book. Prim's death was a big mistake, not because it happened, I was imagining the HG series being what it was, dark and realistic, somebody big was probably going to die in the war. I didn't think it would be Gale or Peeta because that could be a cheap way to save Katniss from choosing one of them and Collins didn't run from tough choices in first books. I was betting on Haymitch or Prim from the beginning. But I thought it would be a sad, well written scene like Rue's death not the insane bombing I didn't fully understand yet. Coin was maybe evil but not crazy, she wouldn't kill lots of children with such a big chance to be discovered. Worse. What was Prim doing over there? A thirteen year old girl still learning the basics? When the war already won? What exactly happened to Johanna? Gale?

And of course, Peeta. He was the ray of sunshine that made the first books feel hopeful despite all the violence. I could have done without that but I wish it had been for a good reason. I understand the choice of his "mental confusion" when he returned. I always thought he idealized Katniss too much and I as soon as he tried to choke her I thought that would be a great way to develop their relationship and conclude the series. He would slowly come to his senses, become the old Peeta again but finnally see her for what she really was while she would learn to really value his qualities and fight for what they had, what they could have, learning this was what she really needed. This would be "the choice" that was hinted in the first books, a slow realistic proccess, without an actual "choice" scene. But that never happens. Katniss mentions she would have chosen him anyway and that she does love him but it is too little too late, by then it seems he only went crazy so she could infuse the book with more suffering and there was no point in it. Not that it has to have a point, I don't mind reading sad stuff, watching sad movies, but they have to be really good and well made otherwise it is just melodrama. Like most people have already said the ending is totally rushed, that is a poor way to end a trilogy. I would have liked to read about them "growing back together" at least to make up for all the previous mistakes in the book at that point. I really hope in the future I can reread the first books and make up an ending of my own!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 4, 2011 6:30:53 AM PST
Couldn't have said it better myself. Agreed on all points. The last piece of the puzzle definitely did not fit, and it wasn't the fairytale ending I was looking for -- it was character development and for the ending to make sense. Disappointing when I loved the first two books.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2011 5:55:35 PM PST
mahiker says:
I too agree with this review. The third book was a disappointment and not because I didn't like the ending. So much of it was flat and missing something. This reviewer hit it right.

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 6:23:42 PM PST
Kevin Watt says:
Fun to read your book review, thanks. I agree on all points. The ending didn't feel too rushed but just empty of proper character development.... The agony with which she never makes up her mind and then even only settles into a sort-of answer just drove me crazy!

Posted on Dec 10, 2011 7:06:45 PM PST
E. Betzhold says:
Agree completely... This book was annoying.

Posted on Dec 11, 2011 2:24:12 PM PST
The third book is not merely flat and undeveloped. It's far worse than that. It totally undercuts the thrust of the first two magnificent books. I wish I hadn't read it and urge others to DON'T BUY OR READ THIS BOOK. I hope another capable writer will take up the challenge of the vacuum left by this third book and do it better -- writing from scratch.

Posted on Dec 13, 2011 11:34:33 AM PST
Cristina, it is obvious you are not in the military or have anybody closely associated with it. Fairy tale endings aren't always the way that stories end. If you want a soap opera ending, read the last couple of books of Ender's Game, Xenocide and Children of the Mind. Those are more soap opera-ey and might be in your court.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2011 11:02:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2011 11:10:34 AM PST
Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, Book 3)Carol, We should be able to discuss without insulting other posters. If you want to disagree with Christina, do it in a civilized way.

My view (nuclear weapons are my business) is that if I want to read about senseless bad things, I can always find them in the newspapers. Fiction should be coherent and have consequences for good reason (great example is Adams' "Girl on a Swing")

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2011 3:15:16 AM PST
Galen Cook says:
I don't think it has anything to do with fairy tale endings. Its the fact that this last book has such POOR character development that is the issue. I think what most people are getting at is that the character development is so laking that the characters actions just cease to make sense anymore. None of the deaths, especially major deaths like Prim's elicit no emotional response. As far as the love triangle, its just stupid and unrealistic.

Posted on Jan 12, 2012 9:36:35 PM PST
Angie says:
I agree the charging the capitol to kill Snow was an absurd and aweful aweful plot choice. Katniss hates violence and becomes obsessed with revenge - huh? Then goes on an irrational venture into a booby-trapped capitol as the most wanted rebel and thinking she will miraculously waltz up to the president. Then the Capitol falls the next day and she gets her chance to kill Snow anyway. The one decision Katniss made in the whole book and it was a terrible and immature one. In the end, I hated Katniss and this decision made me hate her even more.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2012 1:16:32 AM PST
Galen Cook says:
This last book just put a serious damper on my excitement for the up coming Hunger Games movie this March -__- The author seriously messed up a great trilogy.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (17,629 customer reviews)
 (10,675)