5.0 out of 5 stars Well-constructed and great value, September 10, 2007
This review is from: Bowflex SelectTech Adjustable Bench Series 3.1 (Sports)
This is a very nice bench by any standards and as other reviews mention, it was very easy to put together. The instructions are well-written, the diagrams clear and the whole thing is well-engineered and heavy duty construction. The manual says it can hold a 300lb. person plus 300lbs. or weight and I don't doubt that at all. It is also very easy to adjust and doesn't have a lot of little parts. It took me about 50 minutes to assemble it and I went very slowly.

It is true that there are only four positions you can use on this bench, but for most people that is plenty. Also, it is a perfect product to use with a dumbbell workout. If you go this route, I recommend either Pair of Personal PowerBlock Adjustable Dumbbells - 5-45 Pounds in 5 Pound Increments or PowerBlock SportBlock Dumbbell Set. These adjustable dumbbells are rugged, less expensive than other brands and the safest that I know of.

Some other details about the bench... the material is a medium thick vinyl and mine came with a 1 inch tear. I did not consult customer support yet, but I will update this review to reflect my experience of them when I do. I think a better material and padding would improve the product overall, but at this price point I think it's plenty rugged.

If you get this bench, you can eventually get a power rack that can be used with your bench and as a squat/deadlift rack. One that I like is Phys-x Half Rack 10418, but you there are others depending upon your needs.

If you are new (or old) to this type of training, I recommend Build Muscle Lose Fat Look Great: Everything You Need to Know to Transform Your Body and Starting Strength. These are probably the ONLY two books most people will ever need on strength training, building mass, etc. They are BOTH dense with great information systematically laid out. I have other suggestions on my listmania lists, check my profile if you are interested. I also reviewed most of the adjustable dumbells on available on here.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 10, 2007 10:27:57 AM PST
Probably one of the most informative and helpful reviews I have ever read. Mine also had a tear in the vinyl and bowflex customer support was astounding, I couldnt believe it. They told me to ship it back and they would send me a new one free of charge, yes free, no shipping or anything.

Posted on Mar 10, 2011 4:23:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 10, 2011 4:24:01 PM PST
J. Fields says:
Thanks for including the capacity in the review. I'm a big guy (~235-240) and like big weights for some of the workouts. Most benches are only good to 300lbs total, so to know that this one can do double that makes me feel comfortable buying this. Bowflex has never let me down (Selecttech dumbbells and a multi-station machine...Exceed Plus, I think), so I'm not surprised to find that this is an above average bench. Cheers!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (390 customer reviews)

$199.00 $153.44