5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, great narration, September 12, 2007
This review is from: I Am Legend (Paperback)
Robert Neville is the lone survivor of a vampire plague which has wiped out most of earth's inhabitants. by day he single-handedly stalks the city laying undead to rest. At night he drinks himself into a stupor and listens to classical music. After 5 months alone Robert realizes that some of the legends about vampires are true and begins to seek scientific explanation. With all the time in the world, he reads books from the library and steals an expensive microscope to help him analyze the bacteria in the victims. This book reminds me a lot of Robinson Caruso. At first Neville rails against his loneliness, the vampires and the world in general... Eventually he develops a survivor mentality which allows him to deal with the situation. When Neville finds a dog things begin to look up... Can Robert survive humanity's near extinction or will he become the last survivor of earth's great plague?

I read the book in anticipation of the movie in December starring Will Smith. I can't wait to see how this is treated in film. Neville is an interesting character who I took a while to get to like. Mostly because the first 1/4 of the novel he drinks, smokes, and feels sorry for himself (who wouldn't). I really warmed to the character once the dog arrived... Overall this was a compelling audiobook well narrated and worth a listen.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 13, 2007 11:18:00 AM PDT
- Kasia S. says:
A long while ago I got a lot of horror books on Ebay and this book was among them. I have heard good things about it but your review has finally peaked my interest. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2007 6:44:44 PM PDT
Serene Night says:
I think the book is a compilation of short stories. This was audio edition. I enjoyed this, it really has a 60's feel. I think I will really like the film!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 14, 2007 6:57:13 PM PDT
- Kasia S. says:
I will definitely read it before the movie comes out, it's one of my silly rules.
: )

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2007 12:35:50 PM PST
Definitely read this book before OR after having watched the movie for a very different experience. I found the movie predictable (I did like it) but the books ending...I just wasn't expecting that...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2007 1:40:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2007 1:40:17 PM PST
Yeah, the ending of the book is incredible, and i wish it had been incorporated into the film. I did like the movie, even though it's completely different from the book.

Posted on Dec 28, 2007 8:49:32 AM PST
While I took issue with some comments from your review of THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA, I have to admit that your review here for I AM LEGEND is excellent. Good job.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2008 6:43:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 10, 2008 6:47:29 AM PST
Mostyn says:
I have to agree with you there. The film was well worth watching, but they took a wonderfully unique and imaginative ending and turned it into a generic and uninspired ending. The book is a masterpiece, but the film is nothing more than a good Hollywood film.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2008 1:55:54 PM PST
Serene Night says:
I found the ending a tad.. Meh in the film, I agree. I did read somewhere that the author wanted to write a sequel.. So perhaps not seeing Neville actually die allows for that.

I also think it would've been interesting story to see the protagonist travel to the colony and the harrowing journey. Ana (film) seemed a tad flat. Would've liked to see Neville go.

Perhaps also, the film 'cured vampire will feature if they make a sequel. We never learned her fate. She might make an interesting ally, since presumably she is cured of the disease.

Posted on Jan 23, 2008 7:40:21 AM PST
Eric Maier says:
Agreed, this book was an A+
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.2 out of 5 stars (1,103 customer reviews)

$15.99 $13.23