Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc DJ Shadow Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Network File Streaming Device!, November 12, 2011
This review is from: WD TV Live Media Player Wi-fi 1080p (Old Version) (Electronics)
I recently decided to start a little weekend project of completely digitizing my 200+ home DVD collection. I wont get into any arguments over the legal ramifications of this type of project, but rest assured every digital movie in my collection is a straight rip of a physical DVD I own. That being said, I really needed a good option to actually "deliver" these movies to my HD TV in my living room. I have an Xbox 360 but that just didnt seem to be making the cut. So I started researching these fancy smart set-top boxes.

At first I was convinced the Roku XS 2 was the way to go - but I started reading more and more about its lack of specific filetype support (i.e. MKV, M4V, AVI to name a few). That and it really didnt do network streaming/sharing well (if at all). I saw the WD TV Live HUB with 1TB harddrive for 199 and thought that was just a little too steep for my price range (the Roku is 99 afterall). Then I somehow accidentally found this device on Amazon. The price was right, and the specs seemed right. Too good to be true?

No! This device is incredible! First of all, I cant get over how tiny it is! Its literally thinner than a regular DVD case and maybe as tall as 2 dvds stacked. It sits nicely right next to my 360 with some breathing room! It only comes with a cheap pair of composite (or maybe component I didnt check) cables but I quickly ignored them due to an extra HDMI cable I had lying around. That coupled with the extra optical cable I had as well completed this package - although Im sure many will argue that its fairly lacking that the unit didnt come with either in the box (I agree but both cables can basically be purchased for an extra 10 bucks so not that big of a deal and I did have extras lying around).

Basically, setup took seconds and I had it online in no time. It found my wifi box right away although it appeared to have little to no "connection" strength (it showed no bars). This isnt unusual as my wifi router is fairly weak and my laptop consistently has issues dropping the connection etc - which is unfortunate because the box is only upstairs and like 20 feet away?! But I digress. After the wifi connected I downloaded all the latest firmwares (quickly and painlessly) and was up and running! All the online services you could want are on the dashboard. A few notables I saw missing were Amazon Unbox and HBO Go - but Im not sure what the situation is with those on other devices (Roku supports Amazon Unbox I think? 360 will have HBO Go in like 3 weeks?). But, this review really wont/doesnt cover all of those online services available to the unit. I tried Netflix and Pandora and they both worked fine. There are also a few games preinstalled which is neat I guess.

So, later in the night I put it through its paces. I basically threw every type of movie file I could at it, all with different file sizes and resolution (all streamed off a network share). I tried some 480p DVD rips of M4Vs, some 720p AVIs, even some 1080p MKVs. All streamed flawlessly (even over my poor wifi connection!). I was never disappointed. Even browsing the folder structure via the network share was quick and painless with no delay (with only 120ish folders so far). Later in the night by the time I was on my 3rd movie I noticed that the lip syncing was off. I started to panic! Was my too good to be true situation finally starting to show its true colors?! I tried a few other movies and all seemed fine, but that one with the syncing issue was consistent. Then I noticed in the quick options a Lip Syncing delay option. Toggling this (delay or advance) by 100ms chunks fixed the problem perfectly! I was VERY relieved to see that this option existed and it was so quick and easy to get too as I could see this being an issue for certain files etc. Lastly the only other issue I really noticed was that home videos taken with my Flip cam (1080p mp4s) were very choppy and delayed/unwatchable. I have experienced this before on every device Ive tried to watch them on (i.e. 360/PS3/etc). I have to assume that this is simply the result of trying to stream a file thats too large over my weak wifi network. Hopefully a Wireless N router will find its way under the Christmas tree this year!

At the end of the night I was very thrilled with the little device! Its doing exactly what I could want and more! My ONLY purpose for buying the unit was to stream my digital DVD collection via my network. The fact that I can throw an external HDD on the unit if I want to stop dealing with the network is gravy! Add on top the online services like HuluPlus, Netflix, Blockbuster, Pandora, etc, etc, and I have one tiny little unit that packs quite a punch! Most users here will review the online services and only glance over the networking/file type support. Hopefully Ive done the opposite here and covered all the "other" angles that most people arent concerned with!

PS Its worth noting that I cant really see a reason to get the more expensive WD TV Live HUB with built in 1TB harddrive. Its lacking WIFI and something else I cant recall - but you can get an external 1TB drive for basically 1 hundred bucks anyway nowadays and just attach to the WD TV Live unit and have the same situation only better (because you have a replaceable drive AND wifi built in!).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 22 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 133 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 25, 2011 11:14:07 AM PST
Linda says:
I like your review of this product and would love to reprint it in my Macintosh User Group newsletter if you will give me permission. I don't know how to get ahold of you except to comment on your review here.

Posted on Jan 4, 2012 7:18:59 PM PST
I was specifically looking for more information on the personal media file streaming... thank you for the review covering that.

Posted on Feb 8, 2012 6:56:49 AM PST
Benny Green says:
Jason, if you are monitoring this review, I would like to ask a question that nobody seem to answer. Can you "push" files from your computer to the WD, once it is turned on, without using the WD remote? The reason I'm asking is that I want to send .mp3's from the computer to a sound system in another room. (Sort of a wifi wireless speaker setup). I'll appreciate any answer.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 7:05:25 AM PST
Jason Krol says:
I havent actually tried to do this, but I know with Twonky you can achieve something like this, if not exactly what you are requesting. This video will show probably exactly what you are looking for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8x1adtpWlaM (if the link doesnt work search YouTube for WDTV Live and Twonky, or goto Twonky's website and check out all the information there). Twonky is a free (I think) media server that runs on your PC.

On a side note Im still head over heels in love with the WDTV. They have made great advancements in the short time Ive owned it with the constant Firmware updates they provide. I also went with the WD Live Wire solution to get my WDTV "wirelessly" connected to the internet with much faster speeds than relying on its builtin wifi (not that its builtin wifi is bad, just my router isnt great).

Hope this answers your questions!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 7:49:42 AM PST
Benny Green says:
Thank you Jason! Ben

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 7:10:23 PM PST
LynnL says:
Will this device play a DVD ripped to a video_ts directory? I have a lot of (homemade) DVD's already ripped, and would like to just play them without re-jiggering the files. Thanks for any info.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 6:19:35 AM PST
Jason Krol says:
I cant confirm this from my own experience, but I believe I have read that people use it to playback VOB files with no problems. Personally I compress my DVDs (original video_ts folder) to an M4V file container. However I believe many people leave their original dvds ripped and completely uncompressed (basically just leaving the video_ts folder untouched).

But again I cant confirm this 100%, but Im 99% sure it would work.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2012 10:31:51 AM PST
LynnL says:
Thanks for replying, Jason!

Posted on Mar 7, 2012 10:01:24 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2012 5:39:38 AM PST
thanks for the feedback :/

Im assuming everyone basically got the gist of what I was saying, but to be perfectly clear, is it about as WIDE as a DVD case (when viewing the cover of a DVD case) and its height is about the same as 2 DVDs stacked, if viewing the stack looking at the spines of the DVDs.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Next ›