Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent TV - as long as you buy it with the right expectations, January 2, 2013
This review is from: LG Cinema Screen 55LM8600 55-Inch Cinema 3D 1080p 240Hz Dual Core LED-LCD HDTV with Smart TV and Six Pairs of 3D Glasses (2012 Model) (Electronics)
For my needs, this was an excellent buy. I imagine I would have been equally happy with the 55LM7600, but it was not in stock at my local MicroCenter where these are selling at insanely good prices. There are of course a few things to consider before you decide to buy this TV:

Will the TV be situated in a basement, Or is most of your TV viewing done in dim lighting, Or do you care more about picture quality than brightness? If yes, get a plasma. If not, move on to the next question.

Will you rarely be watching 3D content? If yes, get a Samsung 2D or even 3D TV. If not, move on to the next question.

Do you live in a home with lots of storage space and outlets to keep 3D glasses charged (i.e. not a cramped NY apartment), and do you expect not to have more than 6-8 people watching 3D movies at the same time? If yes, get a Samsung 3D TV. If not, read on.

If you came this far after the questions, as I did, this is the right TV for you. You might also be happy with the 55LM7600.

What you should be prepared for:

1. Ghosting and Flash-lighting. These defects are manifest in all edge-lit LED TVs. My previous TV is a Vizio XVT3D474SV, which was a back-lit TV. It had no flashlighting, but still had noticeable ghosting, though not as bad as this LG unit. These defects are most noticeable when watching a dark movie (think dark knight), or a movie with cinema black bars on the top and bottom. For most content, when sitting a brightly lit room, the defects are not noticeable at all. The same issue affects top of the line Samsung TVs as well.

2. Poor black levels. The black levels on this TV are nowhere near the black levels on my previous Vizio TV. If you calibrate the TV for deeper black levels, brightness suffers as well. LG displays are poorer than Samsung displays in this regard. A properly calibrated Samsung TV gets both better black levels and a brighter display than the corresponding calibrated LG TV.

So why would you still buy this TV:

1. Very good looking. TV looks great both on and off. It has such a thin bezel that the width and height are almost the same as the 47" Vizio XVT3D474SV that it replaced.

2. In a brightly lit living room (which mine is), you will love the brightness and picture quality of this TV for most programming. Its only marginally worse than a Samsung TV having similar features. While videophiles would differ, I like the bright, vibrant colors on this TV much better than that of my backlit Vizio. Yes, blacks are not as deep and there is uneven flashlighting along the top edge, but the picture just feels so much better.

3. Audio is much better than my previous TV, though this doesn't matter to me since I have an external Vizio bar and subwoofer that produce much better sound. But you could get by with just the inbuilt speakers. The only issue is that I now need separate remotes for the TV and sound control, so I ended up buying a Logitech harmony. I never liked the magic remote much anyway. It was very annoying whenever the mouse pointer turned up on screen when moving the remote by mistake, and what kind of remote doesn't have a dedicated input button?

4. 3D is truly usable and excellent. A relative who swears by Samsung was blown away by the quality of 3D on this TV. The half-HD issue with passive 3D TVs is really a non-issue. Glasses are very lightweight and easy/cheap to replace. I don't have to worry about the kids breaking them. Nothing to recharge. Being an IPS display, 3D looks good even from wide angles. I recently watched Hugo in 3D, having previously seen it in 2D, and the experience is incomparable. The 3D in my previous TV was active-3D, and the heavy flickering glasses gave me a headache, and I never bothered recharging them after they ran out. I know the newer Samsung glasses are very lightweight and are rated at 70 hours per charge, but with a toddler around and never having enough outlets, its still a major entry barrier for me. I might consider active 3D again if they design TVs such that the glasses can be docked behind the TV.

5. Excellent value. This unit set me back 12 benjamins at MC. A Samsung 3D TV with similar features was much more expensive at the time of this writing. Expense has never been the sole reason for me to choose a TV, but it definitely helps when the TV you choose based on features is also a great value.

6. You can 'throw' youtube videos from your smartphone (Android/iPhone) to the TV. Probably useless for many, but very useful for me. All the other apps on the TV are redundant since I also have a Roku and PS3, but the youtube feature alone makes the 'smart' capability worthwhile.

The only feature I really miss compared to my previous TV (Vizio XVT3D474SV) is the ability to connect a bluetooth stereo headset. I got so used to this on the Vizio during those occasional late night gaming sessions using my PS3 while my toddler slept in the next room. I didn't realize this feature wasn't there until after I bought the TV. I just assumed since the remote was bluetooth a bluetooth headset would be supported as well. Sadly I was wrong. A little research also showed that the XVT3D was more of an outlier with such features and most modern TVs still don't have even half the features that it did 2 years ago. I do enjoy 3D gaming more now, so I guess you still really can't have everything.

Overall, this was a great purchase for me. Definitely recommend, provided you have similar circumstances.

-------------------
Update 2/1/2014: Over a year now and still going strong. I have since mounted the TV on my wall and I can appreciate the slimness much better. Its also very lightweight for its size, which made me less nervous about mounting it on the metal studs in my rental unit.

One gotcha with this device is that it does not pass-through 5.1 surround sound from the HDMI input to the SPDIF audio output, so you need to choose a home theater system with a HDMI switch that extracts audio from source. Alternatively, you can use a HDMI switch with audio extractor, which is what I am using with my SONOS Playbar.

A new welcome feature with Android devices is the ability to cast Netflix and Youtube videos to the TV without having to enter any codes to pair the TV to the Android device first. If you are planning to buy a Chromecast for this feature only, you don't have to. The TV does it just as well. Even better if you are in a highrise, since you can hook up the TV with ethernet and you can't do that with the Chromecast. My Chromecast is highly prone to interference since it does not work on the 5GHz band and the 2.4GH band is super-crowded and interference-prone.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 22, 2013 11:18:47 AM PST
MC says:
Why would u compare any t.v to a Vizio? they have the worst t.v's

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2013 11:29:34 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 22, 2013 4:24:06 PM PST
If we are generalizing, yes, Vizio is hardly top of the line. However, the Vizio XVT3D series was, and still is, one of the best LED TVs ever made, in terms of functionality and picture quality. Like I've stated in the review, being a full-array LED model (which is very rare), the Vizio XVT3D had much deeper blacks and contrast compared to this top of the line LG. If you went looking for a full-array model today, you'd need to spend at least $3500 on a Sharp.

Posted on Jan 21, 2015 1:33:15 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jan 30, 2015 3:48:56 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 28, 2015 2:17:49 PM PST
Chen Xulian says:
That was a pretty great review. I bought the same samsung tv to replace my previous 10-year old junk but I couldn't stand the cables just hanging around behind the TV. Just not used to them, I guess. I saw this brand called FlexiMounts and they had a ""cable management mount"" for a pretty reasonable price that worked perfectly. It's a must buy if you're as OCD as I am. Hope this helps!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›