2.0 out of 5 stars SINGLE PLAYER ONLY: "de"powering the player, December 3, 2011
This review is from: Assassin's Creed Revelations - PC (Video Game)
The game is good at points. You can move around the city much smoother, thanks to the excellent addition of the "hook blade." Missions anywhere outside the main city is very exciting, beautiful, and cinematic; I myself love the canyon view of the first "finding the key" mission. And the addition of bombs turn out really nicely. For AC Fans, this game also wraps up the stories of Altair and Ezio; although the main focus is on Ezio, you get to see how Altair continues his life after AC1, grows old, and dies.

But the game's main fighting system seriously depowers the player. Here's why: AC:R makes guns a major component of enemy weapons. It is the only attack in the game that is unblockable, undodgable, and does tremendous damage. Any rooftop guard and Janissary (super guards that patrol the city in groups) possess guns. But your ability to focus (or select who to attack) is not modified to "fit in."

For example, the focus ability has a very short range compared to enemy sights. So when a roof guard spots you and begin aiming, you may want to take him out before he does the same to you, but your focus ability, the only way to aim, does not allow you to do so. A more in-game translation is that your master assassin, the best fighter in the whole world, cannot see as far as the guard does. This results in lots of unnecessary attacks by rooftop guards.

Another example is that Janissaries will try to aim and shoot you in close combat. When he begins aiming at you with his gun, you will want to hit him within a second or so to disrupt the shot. But because he always backs up as he aims, your focus system will likely direct your attacks toward other guards (whose attacks you can block or even counter-kill or counter-steal). This results in lots of unnecessary hits and deaths in combat.

Overall, the game does have some exciting moments, a good navigating system, and an excellent finishing touch to the previous games. But these are not nearly enough to make up for the bad combat system, which kills skilled players because the aiming system compromises every skill the player possesses. For the first time in the AC series, I no longer feel comfortable picking fights.

(I'm a pretty good AC player; I've finished AC1 5 times, AC2 2 times, ACB 2 times, and now ACR 1 time. In AC1, I can play full offense (using counter-kill whenever enemies attack, but otherwise pressing no defense, and landing all the combo kills) and full defense with the sword or the dagger; and full hidden blade without jumping out of attacks, all without getting hit. Spoiler for AC1: did you know you can finish Al Mualim's 3rd stage in one blow if you perform a hidden blade counter kill?).

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 12, 2011 1:27:08 PM PST
M. Pick says:
Nice review, I give this addition to the AC series 3.5 stars though.
I agree with what you're saying here. I too like the improvements with hookblade, ziplines, and bombs. My favorite so far in the series has been AC3 (when they added arrow storm and assassinations), but AC5 hopefully they will make up for the overpowered guards and create a longer storyline (this one felt very short). I'm not sure if the "one-hit" kills is a new feature (target the next target after killing one guard), but it makes taking out a group of 5+ guards a lot of fun. The flashbacks all the way to AC1 was pretty cool. I beat this game quickly on PC with xbox controller. I do like guard-controlled areas that you have to kill the leader, continued from AC3.

Posted on Dec 24, 2011 4:13:27 PM PST
El Flechero says:
I'm so glad to hear they made the combat harder! As you know, the combat of the first games was WAY too easy, so it sounds like the addition of more guns encourages the player to be more stealthy.

The previous games didn't require anyone to be a d*** good player to finish, so it's good that it's harder now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2012 12:41:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 26, 2012 12:49:24 PM PST
I'm with him. I never died in combat in AC2 or ACB. Didn't bother playing through AC1 because it was nothing more than a glorified tech demo. Usually the only time I would die is accidently falling off a building or failing a stealth mission. Combat had always been childs play. In fact I've seen an 8 year old easily defeat a group of enemies. Actually having to worry about picking a fight adds to the fact that this is a STEALTH game and perhaps I should be stealthy and if caught maybe run away.

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2012 4:00:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 2, 2012 4:45:28 PM PDT
Ok, let me clarify what I meant when I complained about the combat. I complained for two reasons:

1. SKILL VS RANDOMIZATION
I'm fine with having a harder combat, but it should be hard in the sense that it distinguishes a skilled (combat-wise) player from an unskilled one.

By this I mean that I'm fine if they add a lot more enemies, a lot more tricks, and increase enemy attack speed to overwhelm the player. But each of these tricks should be preventable, and thus, a skilled player will be the one that can react to different tricks in time. I'm not fine if they simply add the undefendable, randomized gun to take you out by chance. Unfortunately, the latter is exactly what became of this game's combat system.

2. BUFFING ENEMY VS DEBUFFING PLAYER
A harder combat can buff enemies (but everything should be counter-able), but it should never take away my control, and it should never be unrealistic.

By not taking away my control, I mean that if I want my Ezio to swing his sword at the Janissaries, he should know not to swing at another random guard. But like I said in the review, when the Janissaries back up, it's impossible to tell the auto-focus system that I want to attack the Janissaries.

By unrealistic, I mean that if I see a target I want to take out, I should be presented with the option to do so. After all, I did see the target. But like I said in the review, the auto-focus system has an undesirably short range. While I can see the argument that a hidden gun's aim is limited, I cannot see a reasonable argument for why Ezio cannot call an assassin to murder the guard up close. (unless, ridiculously, Ezio simply cannot communicate well enough to let his fellow assassins locate the far-away target)

Posted on May 8, 2012 2:04:10 PM PDT
Talann says:
I actually found Assassin's Creed Revelations to not be that hard. The original Assassin's Creed was harder, in my opinion. (Then again, I played Revelations on a PC with a keyboard and a mouse, while I played the original Assassin's Creed on the Xbox 360. So it may be a control difference.)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2012 7:36:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 24, 2012 9:12:29 AM PDT
The AC:R has a faster combat system, so fights seem a lot shorter. But the original AC is a lot more free. I had played it in around half a dozen ways:
1. fought my way into every boss with my sword and knife, killing everyone I saw on the way
2. stealth-killed every boss (like I was "supposed" to)
3. chased down and hidden-bladed fleeing bosses
4. kicked bosses off rooftops (by jumping into them)
5. kicked everyone off rooftop beams (by continuously jumping back and forth)
6. "guarded" a ladder, killing everyone (including bosses) that climbs it
7. hidden-bladed everyone while in high profile, remaining in perfect health throughout 50 kills (this is my trick to fighting Al Mualim's 3rd stage. If you do this correctly, he should die in 1 hit, and his magic should not get you down to low health)

In contrast, every subsequent game had around... 1 way?! picked out by the developers?! to approach every mission. This is a major let-down to me. But still, my major complaint for AC:R is its combat system.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 7:52:40 PM PDT
C. Guzman says:
one question. Do you play on Xbox???
if so thats why fighting seems hard. i've played all AC games (except the one for psp) and the ones before this required no skill whats so ever so unless you play on an xbox you should have no reason to say that combat is hard. (people before have said this but...) anyone in the previous games could be a damn good player, and tons of people still are damn good player in ACR (hopefully this will change in AC3)

Jannasaries are actually easy to kill in PC. they back up like 3 ft, which ezio could easily distract them (hit them)
The fighting seems short because....how do i put this.... Ezio is now a lethal master assassin (in real life terms, you have ever ability you can get from AC2 to ACR, meaning countless endless ways to kill people)

the Jannasaries are like elite papal guards (from ACB) they back up a few feet and take about 4-5 seconds to shoot, more than enough to stop them.
the only thing i agree on with your post is that the storymode does seem a little short, and all the new things like zip line and bombs are really cool and lethal.
P.S. i've beat ACR 3 times now

if you play on Xbox however, disregard all of this, you have less control of the character
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (130 customer reviews)

$19.99 $9.79