5 of 7 people found the following review helpful
Read Before You Volunteer,
Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: I Lost My Love in Baghdad: A Modern War Story (Paperback)
Michael Hastings has the ability to get the facts straight at the same time he tells an amazingly sad story of Iraqi incompetence entwined with his own love story with Andi, his girl. We learn the following:
1. Iraq is and was out of control during this illegal and immoral war.
2. After the initial "shock and awe", the USA had no plan for disengagement.
3. Our USA-trained Iraqi army cannot fight, will not fight, and won't fight.
4. Iraq is in the midst of a dirty civil war even today.
5. Hastings and other journalist embeds risk their lives right along side of our troops.
6. The troops will tell journalists exactly what is going wrong.
7. The army generals and PR people do not want the truth to come out.
8. Bringing your loved one to Iraq is a horrible idea.
9. If your green zone is surrounded, you are never safe even inside.
10. Stepping outside the green zone can and will kill you eventually.
11. Iraq is the most corrupt regime after Afghanistan.
12. We cannot win in Iraq. We did not win. Will will not win.
13. The USA should be tried for war crimes for going into Iraq.
Give this book to a young man or woman who is thinking about enlisting. Maybe the book will change their minds.